Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Question: 02 oz rally manual transmission in 04 lancer es

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: 02 oz rally manual transmission in 04 lancer es

I was wondering if you can take a manual transmission out of a 02 oz rally and put it into a 04 lancer es? Because doesn't it have the same engine?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:31 PM

It will work but the 03+ manual transmissions were better with an external slave cylinder. I dreaded replacing the slave cylinder on my wifes old 02 OZ Rally. You could put the 02 transmission in there and there is a thread on this site about converting the 02 to an external slave but after all the trouble I would say just buy the newer one with external already there.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ls1adam84
It will work but the 03+ manual transmissions were better with an external slave cylinder. I dreaded replacing the slave cylinder on my wifes old 02 OZ Rally. You could put the 02 transmission in there and there is a thread on this site about converting the 02 to an external slave but after all the trouble I would say just buy the newer one with external already there.
I agree. I advise to install the newer transmission that has the external slave cylinder. It occasionally goes wrong and when it does, you would rather not tear apart the entire assembly just to access a $90 part.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so I have been working through this. I decided to just use an 03 trans in my 03, but I had a few issues.... first off, where are you getting the new trans from? if it was a local rebuilder, they may not like that your core is different. and they are definitely different.... the 02 has the internal slave, and that housing can't accept the 04 style external slave setup....

You can put the 04 trans directly into your vehicle, if you change the hardlines to the MC a little bit, and get a new clip, fork, boot, and slave and pivot ball.... it seems really easy, but you are looking at some significant $ in new parts (unless you happen to have a donor)