Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So when I get home I'm going to rotate the crank to inspect the engine more in detail
But I have 2 questions. 1. I turn the crank in a clockwise motion? 2. What bolt do use to turn the crank?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by jb988
So when I get home I'm going to rotate the crank to inspect the engine more in detail
But I have 2 questions. 1. I turn the crank in a clockwise motion? 2. What bolt do use to turn the crank?
Yes, clockwise. And you use the center bolt for the crank pulley.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Lol, I went out there with my brother and didn't realize how big that dam bolt is. I'm going to have to go to harbor freight tomorrow to get some big boy sockets. What size exactly is that bolt?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Lol, I went out there with my brother and didn't realize how big that dam bolt is. I'm going to have to go to harbor freight tomorrow to get some big boy sockets. What size exactly is that bolt?
I don't remember the size, but it should have a 1/2" drive in the middle of it.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
You can use a 22mm on the outside or the 1/2 drive square in the middle.

-pal215
Old Nov 10, 2016, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys, i didn't even check to think the middle of the pulley. I should be able just to do it then with the tools I already have. Maybe once I get back from my morning class I'll go and try it out and see if I hear or see anything weird
Old Nov 15, 2016, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Today I went out to rotate the crankshaft and the only thing I can notice is that half-way throw rotation is that it is hard for a bit then gets easy and kind of rotates on its own. I figure this must be the counter balance of the crankshaft it self but I just wanted to write on here and get clarification. Other than that, if you count from the timing side and away, the 4th con rod, when I push on it horizontally I can see oil squeeze out from between it and the crankshaft. Is this normal? Any and all advice or knowledge is welcome and appreciated.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Today I went out to rotate the crankshaft and the only thing I can notice is that half-way throw rotation is that it is hard for a bit then gets easy and kind of rotates on its own. I figure this must be the counter balance of the crankshaft it self but I just wanted to write on here and get clarification. Other than that, if you count from the timing side and away, the 4th con rod, when I push on it horizontally I can see oil squeeze out from between it and the crankshaft. Is this normal? Any and all advice or knowledge is welcome and appreciated.
if the spark plugs are out it should be easy to rotate all the way through, the crankshaft is completely balanced, there is no counterbalance. Rotation should be smooth and continuous...while rotating, gently rock the crank shaft backward a little bit as you continue to rotate forward and listen for clunking. What you describe on #4 rod does not sound like a problem unless the play is excessive. Find out why it's dragging through the rotation.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

I removed the spark plugs so I don't understand what would cause the it to act in such a way. Could this be part of my.problem
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

I removed the spark plugs so I don't understand what would cause the it to act in such a way. Could this be part of my.problem
Could be yes, can you see any scoring in any of the cylinders?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Would I check from the bottom up or from the top down? One thing I did notice that could be my imagination was on, what my ignorant self will call a lobe, there seemed to be a spot cleaner then the rest like if it had struck something while rotating
Old Nov 18, 2016, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Would I check from the bottom up or from the top down? One thing I did notice that could be my imagination was on, what my ignorant self will call a lobe, there seemed to be a spot cleaner then the rest like if it had struck something while rotating
can you take a picture? It does not matter if you look from the top or bottom...there should not be scoring on the cylinder walls. Are you certain none of the rods are bent?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

No I'm a complete novice when it comes to the engines. Internals. I have a good grasp on everything else except that. What would be a sign of bent rods
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

No I'm a complete novice when it comes to the engines. Internals. I have a good grasp on everything else except that. What would be a sign of bent rods
it will be bent...you should be able to see all of the rods from top to bottom with the oil pan off...another way you can check if the head is off, is to check the clearance between the piston and the deck at top dead center...but like I said, from underneath you should be able to see a bent rod.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

I'll get under there with a light and check.
I Don't Have The Head Off.

Quick Reply: engine noise