Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Lancer over heating... but not over heating?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer over heating... but not over heating?

Randomly on long drives home (>2 hours) the lancer will be completely fine, keeping the temperature in the neutral, then just randomly (my gilfriend said it when it revs over 3k rpm's) it'l say to slow down, and after that the car will eventually force us to stop. Whenever the light comes up we stop immediately, and when its stop it wont drive it all until we let it rest for a while.

To me, it doesnt seem to be overheating because it will literally be keeping the same temperature the whole drive and i never see the temperature gauge go up. So either the gauge is wrong, or whatever is telling the computer that its overheating is bugging. Anyone know what i could check to verify?

Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like the transmission is over heating. the temp gauge you see on the display shows engine temp only. So the engine temp is fine but the tranny temp could be creeping up with out you knowing about it.

check your cvt (transmission) fluid level and color. If its too low or too high it could cause the tranny to over heat. The color should be clear or a slight amber but not brown or black. There is also a problem with the dip stick for the transmission it self. Mitsubishi put out a tsb for the dip stick marking being incorrect. It causes the cvt to to be overfilled even though you see the fluid at the proper level. They have since made a new dip stick that has revised markings for the proper cvt fluid levels.

google TSB-10-23-005 an click on the first result.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008-9 Mitsubishi Lancer with the CVT have a TSB regarding the CVT fluid level and also there was a known problems with the bearings in the early 2008 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer and Outlander Sport CVT transmissions.
Last year I traded in my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES because the transmission was getting very loud from the bearings. I also monitored my CVT trans temperature and would see routinely 210 degrees in the summer. That is extremely hot. I now have a 2017 Mitsubishi Lancer SEL with the new larger CVT transmission. I monitor my CVT tents in my new car the 2017 Lancer and I only see no higher than 160 degrees even today when it's 98 degrees out. that's nearly 50° cooler operating temperature of the new CVT transmission compared to the original earlier Lancer CVT transmissions. if you have a pre 2015 Mitsubishi Lancer with a CVT transmission you will have problems with the transmission overheating and burned up fluid because the older Transmission Grand so hot. Only thing you can do is order a larger CVT transmission cooler and replace the factory one with the larger transmission cooler which holds an additional Court of CVT fluid which will help lower the trans temperature by about 10 to 15 degrees but nowhere near as low as the newCVT transmission.
Get yourself the torque app for Android phone or iOS and also look at the Mitsubishi plug-in for torque which allow you to monitor your CVT temperatures. It's critical or your transmission will eventually burn up quickly.
also remember the Mitsubishi Lancer shares the same transmission with the Nissan Altimas so you can go and read all the issues that the Altimas had in past. the new Mitsubishi transmissions for the Lancer which started being used in 2015 or a great improvement over the pre 2015 Lancer CVT transmissions used between 2008 and 2014. same trans that is also in the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport and they have problems prior to 2015 as well.

I reply to an old post so that people can gather the information needed about their CVT transmissions.

Last edited by ninjacoco; Jul 8, 2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Merging double posts.
The following users liked this post:
Pixel (Oct 24, 2018)