Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Engine swap from automatic platform to manual platform - needed parts?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine swap from automatic platform to manual platform - needed parts?

Hello,

I'm brand new here, but not to Mitsubishi or vehicle performance / maintenance.

Here's one I should know, but I'm ashamed I don't.. I'm somewhat new to Lancers and my expertise really lies in the 4.6 Ford Modular line.

My 2003 Oz Rally is getting tired, and instead of a rebuild I'm planning a 57k engine swap out of a 2005 automatic ES. As far as I know, this is possible yes? Minus the clutch components of course.

Do they have interchangeable engine wiring harness connections, matching input shafts and spline count, same intake / throttle / MAF / etc? Of course I will do a visual inspection of the external engine parts and their similarities. But I would like to hear from a hardcore OZ Rally / 4G94 gearhead.

Thanks in advance,

-Cameron
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
The engines are identical, why are you concerned with the input shaft? The input shaft has nothing to do with the engine.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 09:32 AM

I'm asking because I'm not too sure about the drivetrain on my OZ. Much more familiar with Fords. What I'm gathering is that the engine is 100% identical and doesn't have a slightly different setup for the automatic transmission?

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cameron Barlow
I'm asking because I'm not too sure about the drivetrain on my OZ. Much more familiar with Fords. What I'm gathering is that the engine is 100% identical and doesn't have a slightly different setup for the automatic transmission?

Thanks
The only thing that discriminates the transmission, is the transmission...you'll unbolt the flex plate from the crankshaft and replace it with a flywheel...that's all...ford is the same way. They are not at all related, the drive train has no effect on the engine block. Some different years/generations of the same engine code may have slight differences in intake and and exhaust design, but the block and head is always the same...same sensors, same locations...should all swap over no problem.
The following users liked this post:
Cameron Barlow (Oct 2, 2016)
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:39 AM

I appreciate the quick reply. I should have been more specific with the details of my questions on compatibility. Just making sure the automatic platform wasn't using a crankshaft with a different spline count than the manual setup. I would imagine no automotive manufacturer would do such a thing right?

Thanks again,

-Cameron
Old Oct 2, 2016, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

There's no spline on the crankshaft...it's a bolt pattern, and I'm fairly certain no auto manufacturer's build their engines in a way that different transmissions would not be compatible.