Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

long time lurker, new input on serious issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long time lurker, new input on serious issue

Hello forum members,

I have a 2003 Oz Lancer. It needed some love when I bought it, but only has 100,000 miles.

When I started refreshing the engine with new seals, coolant, etc I noticed something really strange...

The inside of the valve cover has damage from the intake rocker assembly. Somehow, the rockers are contacting the valve cover (contact occurs even after banging out the contact points 1/4 inch). Everything is stock btw, minus OBX header. No check engine lights either.

Everything is installed 100% correct and new lifters have been installed. The camshaft looked very clean, rollers were good, no sludge or wear at all. Oil pressure is good and engine has plenty of pep / runs cool.

I believe I'm having an issue with the head and lifters / valves. Upon varying engine loads, I hear metallic fluttering, but only at certain rpms. If I apply full throttle from 2k to 3k rpms, I hear what sounds like terrible lifter collapse. When I go full throttle from 3k to 4k rpms, the engine is dead quite and smooth. If I stay in full throttle from 4k to 5k rpms, the tapping is back even louder...

I ran a slightly warm compression test on all cyl. Came back with 170 (+/- 2 psi variation). Engine does not burn oil or coolant. Spark plugs were clean and normal looking.

Engine is timed properly and has been nearly rebuilt, minus main / rod / rings. New oil pump, pickup, seals, water pump, etc...

Very stumped, and experienced input / diagnosing advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 26, 2016, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
are you sure they're hitting the valve cover? have you checked the valve lash? they auto adjust but they might be ****ed up.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
If they are hydraulic lash adjuster style then they might need replacement.

Can you post a video to make sure it isnt an outside noise.