Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4g69 throttle body idle issues.

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4g69 throttle body idle issues.

So I installed a 4g69 throttle body a few days ago. I fired it up and it will idle up and down from 1.2k to 1.5k rpm and won't go over 20mph. I've tried the ecu relearning process several times, I tried uninstalling and switching the black housing to the ORIGINAL 4g69 housing, I tried unplugging the ecu itself and still the same conclusion... Any thoughts, or suggestions?
Thanks.
Old May 15, 2018, 08:09 PM

btw its a 2015 lancer es
Old May 17, 2018, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
in the models from 2013 onwards it does not work
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issue on my 2008 GTS. I know the later models it does not work but I recently also had the ECU updated by my local dealer. Do you know if the reason for them not working on the later models is due to this update? If so I'll drive it up there and see if they can revert it.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
4G69 throttle body on pre 2015 models will work but is likely to throw several dtc related to the increased airflow for a given throttle position that is now outside of what was expected. My car would go into limp mode at part throttle. The ROM must be edited with increased values in both airflow and torque plausibility maps to prevent the dtc and limp mode. I know some people just disable the dtcs in the ROM but drive-by-wire has killed quite a few people hence the manufacturers being obsessed with monitoring it for errant behavior. Do you feel lucky???
There are several other settings that will need to be adjusted.....everything that relies on a particular airflow at a particular throttle opening - like idle..... but hey, if you are replacing throttle bodies, you know all about engines right?
It is sad but most defs kicking around incorrectly identify airflow and torque plausibility (check) maps so don't go thinking you can change what you see presented and everything will be good.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I swapped my last weekend and I found out what was wrong. I was using a re-manufactured version of the 4G69 throttle body which apparently uses a different motor and internal sensor(separate from the TPS module). I ordered a used 4G69 TB pulled from a wrecked Galant, swapped the TPS module like you should, and it worked exactly as expected. Just for those that want to do this swap and have this issue, don't pay the extra for the re-manufactured for one in better condition because it just doesn't work.
The following users liked this post:
michael2014 (Sep 23, 2022)
Old Jun 6, 2021, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by jmoney1119
So I swapped my last weekend and I found out what was wrong. I was using a re-manufactured version of the 4G69 throttle body which apparently uses a different motor and internal sensor(separate from the TPS module). I ordered a used 4G69 TB pulled from a wrecked Galant, swapped the TPS module like you should, and it worked exactly as expected. Just for those that want to do this swap and have this issue, don't pay the extra for the re-manufactured for one in better condition because it just doesn't work.
Car is in limp mode after I installed another Throttlebody... 2007 Outlander. Can I put my original TPS on the "new" one. Had the car at the garage and they installed it. They said they could not get it out of limp mode and that I must take it to Mitsibushi. Car is there and waiting on the diagnostic test....they told me that the ECU throws out alot of fault codes...really starting to panic. Is there no other way to remedy this?...maybe use the throttle with the cable?....sorry if my questions sounds stupid....

Last edited by Mossie13; Jun 6, 2021 at 09:31 AM. Reason: More info