Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4B12 Engine blown. Possible solutions?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4B12 Engine blown. Possible solutions?

Hello,

I left my car at a family friends house for a week. When I came back to pick it up and drive back to my town (roughly 45 miles back), I started to hear a slight ticking when I accelerated, but only at low speeds. I assumed it might’ve been an exhaust leak considering I’ve had similar problems when the weather dropped. About 100 yards from my house, I downshifted and instantly felt a roughness when pushing in the clutch. Shortly after, my engine cut off. I started it up and heard grinding between metal, so I cut it off immediately. I checked the oil and sure enough, I encountered a leak from my oil pan. I came the conclusion that I’m still getting pressure and I’m able to start it up after adding oil. So does that mean I can rebuild that block or would I need to find a better condition motor?

So this brings me to my point. I’m having trouble finding a 4b12 motor and I was curious if I could use any other motor in place to line up with my transmission and ecu.

I have a 2010 Lancer GTS 4b12 with a 5 speed transmission.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you seen what the extent of the damage is? You might be able to get away with just new internals that broke. If the block is dead, the cheapest option might be getting a used 4b11T because 4b12s don't really have a second hand market. There's one on the marketplace here for 5k right now. It should be a direct bolt in and you can swap cams and stuff back if you don't want to turbo and swap ecus. But definitely get a mechanic to tell you if your motor is worth fixing first.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmiller23
Hello,

I left my car at a family friends house for a week. When I came back to pick it up and drive back to my town (roughly 45 miles back), I started to hear a slight ticking when I accelerated, but only at low speeds. I assumed it might’ve been an exhaust leak considering I’ve had similar problems when the weather dropped. About 100 yards from my house, I downshifted and instantly felt a roughness when pushing in the clutch. Shortly after, my engine cut off. I started it up and heard grinding between metal, so I cut it off immediately. I checked the oil and sure enough, I encountered a leak from my oil pan. I came the conclusion that I’m still getting pressure and I’m able to start it up after adding oil. So does that mean I can rebuild that block or would I need to find a better condition motor?

So this brings me to my point. I’m having trouble finding a 4b12 motor and I was curious if I could use any other motor in place to line up with my transmission and ecu.

I have a 2010 Lancer GTS 4b12 with a 5 speed transmission.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Believe it or not, eBay has 4 or 5 2010 or 2011 2.4L Lancer engines shipped to your door via LKQ. The most expensive is $1300 shipped with 79k miles.

Might be worth it. Happy hunting.