Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Port and polish....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Port and polish....

I was just curious on port and polishing. Most of this would be aimed towards rock or anyone who knows the info but i was just interested and instead of emailing i figure the email would be shared with everyone. I was curious on the benefits with port and polishing. What its direct effects and when it would be most effective (engine mods). I was wondering if it would be possible with the lancer as of now. How long it would take? And approximatly how much it cost to do something like this. And how would this would help the car, increase in hp/torque. Possibly how much, guesstimate.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Gran Turismo strikes again, yes it is possible, best mods along with it are breathing mods, t.b. intake, headers, exhaust. HP gain from it would be nominal but have a snowball effect with everything else. i.e. your intake swap is more effective, along with exhaust etc. etc. Cost isn't set, you have to go to a skilled machinist and cost is up to them, exect upwards of 1G for the whole thing, get it heat treated to remove hot points..
Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Try RPW actually. I know they're very experienced with the 4g93 head and I'm sure the 94 isn't much different. Pimpson's right on point with the minimal gains thing, but it does help improve on other mods. Don't expect it to be cheap either.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, it wasn't cheap in Gran Turismo, heheh.

--- Kei
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:10 PM

Port and polish can take quite a bit of man hours to do, thats why its so expensive.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Its easy to do. Just sand the inside of your engine down, then wax it with a buffer. There...Done, port and polished.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

That sounds like something I would try xtreme
Old Oct 17, 2002, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Take off too much material. You're screwed! Leave it to the pro.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Grand Turismo...a nOOB's diving board
Old Oct 23, 2002, 07:25 AM

machine shop in west chester said they would port and polish mine for probably 300-400 I thought about 500 and they said that was ridiculous.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 05:50 PM

the price depends a lot on what yo get done. yeah you could probably get your neighborhood machinist to open it up a bit and smoothe stuff out for 2 or 3 hundred, but if money is not the primary goal here then take it to the real pros and get a good valve job too i don't know where you are from but on the east coast DPR (dan paramore racing) in PA is really good expensive tho but they have different stages to a port and polish some are basic but they have up to like stage 6 or 7 the higher the stage the more work and the more signifigant the result and of course the higher the price. they will also need to know if you are going for turbo or naturally aspirated and what cams you will be using because they have different port jobs for each application. but that is only if you are going for the more expensive and extensive options. also i'm not sure how much research they have done on lancers so far I have just been happy with their work in the past and i know others who feel the same way. if you are on the east coast there are some really good guys in california but i don't know them off the top of my head

Tom