Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Optima Yellow top installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2006, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optima Yellow top installed!!!

yup got it for $155 at pep-boys....

i t does not go staight in at all....
The poles are reversedon these batteries so you have to put it in backwards
You have to bend the metal on the positive battery clamp for it to reach the battery poll.
You have to cut some of the cable ties off to free up some length.
You have to trim some of the red plastic off the positive clamp inslutaor

Then you have to purt something under the battey holders to make up for the lack of hight of the optima compared to the stock battery...LOL
The crank is much beter now!
I am putting the system back in next week so I will report in the difference then!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
••• SEE/HEAR ME at first thursdays car meet at Varcity North ave. in atlanta •••
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

LOL! I had the same problem with my redtop! I just went and bought some washer stacked them up and tied it down.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Why did you have to install yours backwards? Mine is sitting regularly so that the Optima logo faces right side up when looking from the front of the car and all I had to do was cut the cable tie thing to free up some of the positive cable. I didn't have to do all the other stuff. Maybe I just had good luck?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eehjay
Why did you have to install yours backwards? Mine is sitting regularly so that the Optima logo faces right side up when looking from the front of the car and all I had to do was cut the cable tie thing to free up some of the positive cable. I didn't have to do all the other stuff. Maybe I just had good luck?
Maybe the OZ is different to the ES as far as battery placement...? dont know but my cables would not reach if I placed the battery the correct way. Maybe the red and yellow tops are different!

Hey what is the different? the tech at pep-boys said the yellow top is the higher performance battery of the two ... Why did dyou get the red top over the yellow????
Old Feb 21, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think there is a battery placement difference, but I'm not sure. I got the red top because I'm going with a red/black/white theme. Not only that but I don't think I would be needing the performance of the yellow. Yellows are usually used for cars with immense In Car Entertainment. Like DVD players, multiple TV screens, 3 or more subs, things of that nature. Well thats the only time I usually see them. Either on set ups like that or set ups that are strictly drag cars. Yellow top = deep cycle + cold crank. Red top = cold crank. I'm not sure, but I THINK that means that if you are going to be doing anything that will extremely drain the battery, the yellowtop would be the way to go.

Then again that's all stuff that I gather from seeing, I could be wrong.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nothing like a red top...or teh even better yellow
Old Feb 21, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eehjay
I don't think there is a battery placement difference, but I'm not sure. I got the red top because I'm going with a red/black/white theme. Not only that but I don't think I would be needing the performance of the yellow. Yellows are usually used for cars with immense In Car Entertainment. Like DVD players, multiple TV screens, 3 or more subs, things of that nature. Well thats the only time I usually see them. Either on set ups like that or set ups that are strictly drag cars. Yellow top = deep cycle + cold crank. Red top = cold crank. I'm not sure, but I THINK that means that if you are going to be doing anything that will extremely drain the battery, the yellowtop would be the way to go.

Then again that's all stuff that I gather from seeing, I could be wrong.

Yup that is what I thought and why I got the yellow top for my 2 amps giving 2000 watts each! Only a few more days till I load the system back up .. I cant wait....

--------------------------------------------------------------------
••• SEE/HEAR ME at first thursdays car meet at Varcity North ave. in atlanta •••
Old Feb 21, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

im pretty sure they make optimas with the proper terminal placement. I pulled my red top out of the last project car i did so i had to do some jury rigging to get it in including changing my battery tie downs a bit.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

how long does the stock battery last? when should be a good time to change it? or is there no time, when it dies, its time to change?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

^ bingo
Old Feb 21, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Walkingchaos
im pretty sure they make optimas with the proper terminal placement. I pulled my red top out of the last project car i did so i had to do some jury rigging to get it in including changing my battery tie downs a bit.
ahem

jerry

jury rigging is something entirely different
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Trunk relocation > *
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Wel Well Well... Having an Optima Yellow top battery isn't such a big deal anyways. Especially for all that have a nice system in their car.

I have the yellow top and it didn't fit properly. I too had to bend the positive terminal a bit to make it fit... no problems there. I'm running a 800 watt amp bridged to 2 12" subs in the trunk. My lights Still dim when at really DEEP bass. I thought it was my CAP so i installed another, now i'm running two caps along w/ the setup. looks nice, but wierd. lol

This is what i gotta do to get great results:

Optima Battery.... Got it!

NEW ALTERNATOR, Since ours is really small and sucks! I need one of these

Grounding Kit to have everything flowing nicely.... This too I need...
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wallesasuaz
Wel Well Well... Having an Optima Yellow top battery isn't such a big deal anyways. Especially for all that have a nice system in their car.

I have the yellow top and it didn't fit properly. I too had to bend the positive terminal a bit to make it fit... no problems there. I'm running a 800 watt amp bridged to 2 12" subs in the trunk. My lights Still dim when at really DEEP bass. I thought it was my CAP so i installed another, now i'm running two caps along w/ the setup. looks nice, but wierd. lol

This is what i gotta do to get great results:

Optima Battery.... Got it!

NEW ALTERNATOR, Since ours is really small and sucks! I need one of these

Grounding Kit to have everything flowing nicely.... This too I need...
An optima yellow top is one of the best batteries you can get... if your lights dim alot get a thicker power wire that runs from battery post to amps. I have the stock alternator which works fine for me... I am running 2 1000 watt 12"s
Old Feb 23, 2006, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks.

What Gauge Size power cable are you running from the battey?

I have 2 1000wt Rockford 12's also.

Let me know, so I can buy right away and fix this!

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Optima Yellow top installed!!!