Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Last phase of lancer mods

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drucea
I thought you would throw a CEL or something if you took that off.
no, i took mine off, the car just ran crappy, no CEL though. i put it back on cos you gotta re-tune for it.
the stage 2 RRM turbo kits remove it to allow more airflow
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly for the lancer the SAFC will work just fine for me. My theory is if it can tune 300+ whp machines it can tune my 100 lol. I have the SAFC Neo and on pro mode it is very good for tuning afr's. Not quite as good as a piggyback but I like the idea of tune on the go and monitoring everything. I have yet to determine if my MAF is going to be a restriction point for sure but I have a feeling that since EVERY bit of exhaust is 2.25", the top end of the motor is ported, and all the intake side is ported minus the MAF it would be my last restriction. I have to still do more researching on that subject. More than likely I will just remove the restrictor plate and then tune the car after that.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
IMO the MAF wouldn't be worth modifying. True you are opening the motor up but it's not like the MAF is acting as a bottleneck at this point, it should be more than sufficient right now. Remember the MAF isn't a problem for the stage 1 turbo guys.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

True, it isn't technically a "bottleneck" but I wonder what the difference would be with it opened up? A few more ponies? It might be worth it... I am just not sure yet.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 05:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd leave the MAF alone. As Nick pointed out, Stage1 turbo guys leave it in. It doesn't need to be removed until Stage2 when you're pushing A LOT of air through there...

As it is, you'll be staying N/A. You won't be pushing any air - just sucking it in.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can ditch the MAF and plan to tune to compinsate? why the hell not? Even if its not "needed". If it produces gains and your willing to go the extra step to change it. then I would say do it.

Im sure 99% of lancers still have the MAF becase it might not need to be removed. The Lancer tuning community as a whole needs to step out of that cookie cutter modding idea and try some new stuff. I plan to do lots of stuff once I get going on my motor. I wish I had the dough and time to do some things now but its nice to see others goin for it.

Last edited by mitsuozboi; Aug 22, 2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Ya, I will def. let you know how it turns out and what all I do. Also will hopefully do videos/soundclips (i am hoping the motor sounds really good with that ported head and cam). Springs go on friday. Pics will come after that as well.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds awesome. I bet the opened head and cam will sound mean. You should get pistons too. And I agree that just because opening the MAF sensor isn't "needed," doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I think the main reason for not doing it is so you don't have to worry about tuning for it. If you could remove it without having to retune, I bet at least half the community would have removed it already. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

a bigger restriction is actually the intake manifold. the plenum design is not the greatest and doesnt allow for porting. i would look into that before you touch the MAF.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

There aren't any available aftermarket intake manifolds that were built from scratch. I think someone was looking to design a sheet metal one but couldn't figure out how to shape the plenum chamber for the best airflow. I thought about trying to have one custom made until I saw that thread.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

well, with the 4G93 manifold for instance, you could port it out to nearly 75mm i believe. cant remember exactly, but i know it is capable of a much larger port than the 94. another option would be to have the flange of the 94 cut off where it bottlenecks and have a larger flange welded on. anything is possible.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, this is nice to hear. I wish you the best of luck!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

car is in the shop as we speak getting the springs put on... Will post pics ASAP!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

lowered car pics on pg 1!! Enjoy!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 04:36 PM

wow car looks amazing after the drop!

Quick Reply: Last phase of lancer mods