Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

180A high output alternator for an '02-'03

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
180A high output alternator for an '02-'03

Of course this ain't mine, but many many many people have wanted to know of someplace, someone, somewhere that would do a Lancer alternator. Well here's your chance!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsu...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Nice find, although it is overpriced. This item leads me to one question, are there any specialty shops that will re-do my alternator to a higher amperage. Is it possible?
Old Sep 21, 2007, 02:51 AM
Evolving Member

Alternator for Lancer...

Originally Posted by dmoney1988
Nice find, although it is overpriced. This item leads me to one question, are there any specialty shops that will re-do my alternator to a higher amperage. Is it possible?
Not so certain its overpriced to be honest. Find a shop that is willing to take your alternator, disassemble it, replace stators.. wrapping, etc. then put it all together again... difficult at best depending on where you live. I live in Louisville, KY and couldn't find any shop that was up to it.

After some further research, found that the alt I could find (listed here at EVM and the ebay ad alike) may say 180 but at idle..they still put out only about 80-90. Which isn't any better than what we have already.

Finally stumbled on a shop that will order a brand new one, do the work and indicated that their setup will put out around 140 @ idle and 180 @ 2000 rpms. Completly spec'd, computer compatible, and safe to use with no additional modifications to our vehicles. Albiet, it might be a good idea to upgrade your power wires and ground wires (big 3 and grounding kit) and while your at it... pickup a better battery if you don't have one already. I recommend either an Optima or a Kinetik.

Whats the catch... $650.00 out the door and delivered by UPS. Which when I looked at other HO alternators.. is right in the price range. Bottom line, I think its the old adage.. you get what you pay for.

Here is the contact info... let me know if they tell you any differently. Within about 2 days of posting my question online, I got a call back from Tom of Kaestner Auto, and asked a number of questions and he was very helpful. I asked if they could rebuild mine if I sent it, and was told they buy one brand new so that they are not working with any pre-existing conditions. Fair enough I think.. I couldn't even get that out of anyone else locally. Happy to repair, but nobody wanted to rebuild.

I will most likely get my alternator from them. I contacted a variety of other companies online, and theirs was the only one that responded to be quest for an HO alternator for the Lancer...

Kaestnerauto.com

Kaestner Auto Electric
W222 N757 Cheaney Dr
Waukesha,Wi 53186

Phone (262)-547-9600
(800)-782-7022
Fax (262)-547-9975
E-mail kaestner@kaestnerauto.com

P.S. Although somewhat unrelated..did a search on google for their shop and found a blip that is a customer testimonial to the good service they provide. Just do a search on the page for Kaestner and you will see an interesting story of a boat out in the middle of the ocean and no way to go anywhere... click here

Last edited by bsc7080emn; Sep 21, 2007 at 03:25 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

high ouput Alternator

Is the alternator in the regular lancer the same as the one in the EVO ? I need a high output alternator for my Evo MR.

Thanks for the help.

Derek
Old Sep 21, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

evo lancer alt

Originally Posted by Derek Baker
Is the alternator in the regular lancer the same as the one in the EVO ? I need a high output alternator for my Evo MR.

Thanks for the help.

Derek

From what I hear... no.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 02:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bsc7080emn
Not so certain its overpriced to be honest. Find a shop that is willing to take your alternator, disassemble it, replace stators.. wrapping, etc. then put it all together again... difficult at best depending on where you live. I live in Louisville, KY and couldn't find any shop that was up to it.

After some further research, found that the alt I could find (listed here at EVM and the ebay ad alike) may say 180 but at idle..they still put out only about 80-90. Which isn't any better than what we have already.

Finally stumbled on a shop that will order a brand new one, do the work and indicated that their setup will put out around 140 @ idle and 180 @ 2000 rpms. Completly spec'd, computer compatible, and safe to use with no additional modifications to our vehicles. Albiet, it might be a good idea to upgrade your power wires and ground wires (big 3 and grounding kit) and while your at it... pickup a better battery if you don't have one already. I recommend either an Optima or a Kinetik.

Whats the catch... $650.00 out the door and delivered by UPS. Which when I looked at other HO alternators.. is right in the price range. Bottom line, I think its the old adage.. you get what you pay for.

Here is the contact info... let me know if they tell you any differently. Within about 2 days of posting my question online, I got a call back from Tom of Kaestner Auto, and asked a number of questions and he was very helpful. I asked if they could rebuild mine if I sent it, and was told they buy one brand new so that they are not working with any pre-existing conditions. Fair enough I think.. I couldn't even get that out of anyone else locally. Happy to repair, but nobody wanted to rebuild.

I will most likely get my alternator from them. I contacted a variety of other companies online, and theirs was the only one that responded to be quest for an HO alternator for the Lancer...

Kaestnerauto.com

Kaestner Auto Electric
W222 N757 Cheaney Dr
Waukesha,Wi 53186

Phone (262)-547-9600
(800)-782-7022
Fax (262)-547-9975
E-mail kaestner@kaestnerauto.com

P.S. Although somewhat unrelated..did a search on google for their shop and found a blip that is a customer testimonial to the good service they provide. Just do a search on the page for Kaestner and you will see an interesting story of a boat out in the middle of the ocean and no way to go anywhere... click here

GREAT post. Thanks for contributing.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Contributions...

Originally Posted by kungfugirl
GREAT post. Thanks for contributing.
Ty. One of the few opportunities that I actually have some useful commentary. So far I have picked up the yellow top... old battery just couldn't handle my setup. Even at low volumes. Hope to get the alt in the next month or so.

P.S. Nice occupation of yours.