Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

I failed for my lancer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I failed for my lancer

After 4 grueling hours, couple of cuts, and a worthless impact wrench I believe I'm the first to fail in the install for little crank pulley.

I bought it used from one of the members here and I had the pulley for about 2 months already. After reading so many threads about the pulley and a couple close to enough information of the install I thought I should go ahead and become a manly man and try it myself.

Timeline:

Before the actual try:Went to pep boys and asked for an estimate. it was around 300 bucks and I was pretty blown away at that. Searched and read a couple threads and I thought I was good to go.

The first hour was mainly working the splash guards and loosening the belts. I never did an install without my Dad by my side, but I thought hey since everyone did it in around an hour so could I. I never messed with any of the belts on the lancer whatsoever basically because I didn't know anything about them. So I kept bouncing back and forth from the driveway to the forums to figure out how to loosen them up. Thanks to people that put pictures in their threads I learned what belts I was actually working on and what the alternator was. I loosened the belts finally and I felt a sort of accomplishment.

The second hour was mostly twisting the crank and watch it spin in circles Then realizing that it won't work like that. Lucky for me I ran back to the computer to check what was up with that and I believe atilla said that some guys put their car in 5th gear and pushed on the break. So i grabbed some dumbbells and put it on the brake trying to crank on that bolt but did not make it at all. I called my friend after that to see if it was possible to step on the break.

The third hour was basically me and him stepping on the brake and pulling at the wrench. After numerous tries we headed back to pep boys to buy an impact wrench. We came back and the freakin impact wrench didn't have enough air to fulling tweak it after that we went back to the pulling of the wrench.

The fourth hour it was getting close to night and I had to put everything back together so I could be able to use the car later tonight.

I wanted to be manly for my lancer but I was just a panzy instead Just ought to let other new members know that there isn't always a happy ending to evom stories
Old Jan 6, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahaha. nice. sometimes this is how it goes when your arnt familiar with something. next free night do it all over again. you will get it. lol.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

I'll probably try tomorrow. Round 2. Hope I can get it this time. That bolt is so feisty
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:20 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sXericerider
The second hour was mostly twisting the crank and watch it spin in circles Then realizing that it won't work like that. Lucky for me I ran back to the computer to check what was up with that and I believe atilla said that some guys put their car in 5th gear and pushed on the break. So i grabbed some dumbbells and put it on the brake trying to crank on that bolt but did not make it at all. I called my friend after that to see if it was possible to step on the break.
For the love of god, check your timing. I'm assuming, by your description, that you were spinning the crank counter-clockwise, which is backwards and very BAD!!!! An engine being spun backwards risks causing the timing belt to jump teeth.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there a Mitsubishi dealer near you? If so try and talk to the service manager in person. He might cut you a deal on a day they are not busy and take it off and install for you. You might have to end up tossing him a couple of dollars but its better than wasting your time. If not there try any other mechanic shop. There HAS to be somebody out there who will cut a deal with you and break it for you.

I got the o2 sensor on my 2nd cat broken off for free at Minakee (sp?) by some people who I never met in my life after I struggled with it by myself for 3 days! They even had to use a blow torch! Took them about 30 minutes too...

Did I mention for free?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

300 bucks? Got mine installed for 60.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

definitely a good idea to keep that thing as still as possible. it's been awhile since i installed the pulley but i think i got the idea you mentioned from another member, haha.

i worked at a shop at the time so we had a huge compressor and an impact wrench.

keep at it and you'll get it. be careful with cranking the engine backwards though!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

get a larger breaker bar. With a larger breaker bar you can apply more torque to lossen the nut.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the advice i'll be attacking that bolt again sometime this week I got too frustrated so I bought rims Have to pick them up on wednesday.

There is a mitsubishi dealer close by but they suck real bad. They change management literally like every year and the place looks rundown and a bit sketchy.

Are you suppose to rotate it clockwise or counter clockwise

I messaged RRM and they said that theres a how to for this on the forum which I can't find with all the searches I could do. Oh well if all else fails gotta save up a little more and get it done at a shop.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

counter clockwise! i hope that's what you've been doing this whole time!

a floor jack handle works as an excellent breaker bar in a pinch.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

To break my bolt free I removed the starter, stuck in a $3 pry bar into the flywheel, and the bolt broke free the first couple thrusts.

Good luck!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i did the whole swap in about 45 mins
just a strong impact and 15 gallon compressor
easy to do when u have good tools
Old Jan 7, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sa town ridah
i did the whole swap in about 45 mins
just a strong impact and 15 gallon compressor
easy to do when u have good tools
I only had an 8 gallon compressor which is crazy weak sauce against that bolt
Old Jan 7, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atilla

I was doing counter clockwise. thats a relief i thought i was doing it the wrong way

and i did use a breaker bar but the floor jack handle sounds real good right about now
Old Jan 7, 2008, 05:07 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by atilla

Originally Posted by sXericerider
I was doing counter clockwise. thats a relief i thought i was doing it the wrong way

and i did use a breaker bar but the floor jack handle sounds real good right about now
No no no, the engine rotates clockwise. You need to loosen the nut counterclockwise, but you CANNOT let the engine spin with it. If you spun the entire crankshaft counterclockwise, you need to check your timing to make sure it didn't skip a tooth or few.

As far as I can tell in the service manual, you guys don't have a hydraulic tensioner, so you are probably okay, but you should really check.

Quick Reply: I failed for my lancer