Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

From an Evo to GTS, maybe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From an Evo to GTS, maybe

Guys I think i need to "downgrade" and get a GTS and sell the evo. To save gas and have less car expenses (car payment (saving of 260 bucks) and insurance and maintenance ( I need to do my brakes and buy new rotors)

I test drove a GTS with CVT, I liked the handling and the smoothness, I didnt like how slow it felt, but Im sure it can be made fast with some bolt ons. how do you guys feel in this regard. Can the GTS be made fast at all?

The recaros and brembos are things i know I can add to the car. But for sure I will give up the turbo, torque and AWD.

Can the CVT be converted to a SST down the line? can I add a turbo? - basically convert it into a 2009 ralliart minus the AWD ? Or should I just get a 5spd?

Before the Evo, I had a 2005 Civic si (ep3) I do miss the car, and how classy it was eventhough it was a hatch. The thing that captivates me about the evo is the turbo and AWD....

Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:29 PM

Well if the 2 things you really liked about the evo is the awd and turbo, why not hold off until the Ralliart is released?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

^ +1 this is a hard one.. so far we havn't gotten too much power from bolt ons... it sucks b/c evo x has been out for like 3 weeks and they are already getting parts thats prolly goin to take 4 years for the lancers... but if money is tight... then its your choice... i would like an evo but.. no money lol
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

good luck
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just what the other guy said, wait for the 2009 Ralliart. However, RRM is working on a turbo kit for the new Lancers. So that answers part of your question. I don't know about the rest. The NA (bolt-on) mods for the 4B11 engine seem to show some promising potential compared to the previous motor. Just look at RRM's product list for the 2008's. That might give you an idea of the car's rising potential. Granted that it will never be an Evo, it might be a cheaper alternative that still manages to keep a smile on your face
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

ill sell u my gts im getting a evo x in 6 weeks and trade in sucks lol. nothing good for bolt-ons yet. if u liked the civic si why not try the new si sedan it looks nice? (not as nice as a gts) i would wait until summer and try to get a ralliart.

get the cvt if u like microchips that decide if they want to give u power or **** u off.

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Feb 11, 2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Profoxcg
Guys I think i need to "downgrade" and get a GTS and sell the evo. To save gas and have less car expenses (car payment (saving of 260 bucks) and insurance and maintenance ( I need to do my brakes and buy new rotors)

I test drove a GTS with CVT, I liked the handling and the smoothness, I didnt like how slow it felt, but Im sure it can be made fast with some bolt ons. how do you guys feel in this regard. Can the GTS be made fast at all?

The recaros and brembos are things i know I can add to the car. But for sure I will give up the turbo, torque and AWD.

Can the CVT be converted to a SST down the line? can I add a turbo? - basically convert it into a 2009 ralliart minus the AWD ? Or should I just get a 5spd?

Before the Evo, I had a 2005 Civic si (ep3) I do miss the car, and how classy it was eventhough it was a hatch. The thing that captivates me about the evo is the turbo and AWD....

Don't say "downgrade." I rarely like being condescended in my own forum...

CVT is never going to feel fast. It's cool and techy, but it's still an AT. If you want your Lancer to feel quick (for what it is), gotta go MT.

Conversion to SST is going to be nearly impossible (soooo many things are tied into the ECU on these models). If you can do it, it will probably NOT be cost-effective.
You can add a turbo (RRM is working on their kit now), but we're not sure how much HP the CVT tranny can take. Time will tell on that.
Get the 5-speed if you're going to want performance. CVT is for people who want "comfy but sporty" which really means "I want AT without admitting it."

Losing the turbo and AWD is a big decision. You're going to a whole different class of car. Gotta decide if it's for you. Good luck, either way.

------------

FWIW, I love my CVT GTS. I'm very happy with it and don't regret the purchase a bit. I came from a Subaru, so I miss the AWD a bit, but I'm fine without it. But since you're coming from an Evo, you might be wanting a bit more power...
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

You all are going to hate me but, i would go with a 2007 or 03 wrx. You get the AWD and the turbo. If you can find a used on at good price you could save some money. 2 of my friends have them and they are so much fun. Drove one in a snow storm on a three hour trip. I saw cars on the side of the road and trucks in ditches. no other cars on the road exept for another wrx behind me. The car handled so good we even had some fun time in the snow.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Go ahead and jump in here: Ambystom01
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lncrphish
You all are going to hate me but, i would go with a 2007 or 03 wrx. You get the AWD and the turbo. If you can find a used on at good price you could save some money. 2 of my friends have them and they are so much fun. Drove one in a snow storm on a three hour trip. I saw cars on the side of the road and trucks in ditches. no other cars on the road exept for another wrx behind me. The car handled so good we even had some fun time in the snow.
I second that... I've been looking into an 04-06 WRX or STi(if I can afford the insurance and price difference) myself...
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

mazdaspeed 3 ftmfw. just test drive it one time before you decide on a slow *** civic or boring na lancer. you may miss the awd, but if you want to save money and still have fun with a practical hatch, trust me. best value for the money.

Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

or awd wrx if you live in a snowy area...
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

wrx or that MS3 pictured above even looks super hot
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by lncrphish
Go ahead and jump in here: Ambystom01
I will .
No one can decide for you if a car is worth it. Just looking at the numbers will tell you you'll miss the speed and you'll obviously miss the AWD. If you want an evo (as it seems you do), keep the evo, you'll only spend more money trying to convert your lancer into one that it would be to just keep the damn car. This is something a lot of people have experienced (me included). A Mazdaspeed3 is an option but something tells me the wheel spin and torque steer will drive you nuts going from an evo. I love my WRX but it's not as fast as an evo and it has it's own little quirks.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Yup... ( What he said ^)