Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Sprint Booster, how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well none of us who have this thing installed have actually tracked it yet. Well at least those who are close with evo_soul up here. Some spring events are coming up and we may actually conduct a test of this at the track.

but like you said the CVT does take time to kick in, a few seconds actually. but if you have actually tried this product, and this is based on practical personal experience, with the SB installed that huge lag is eliminated.

With out the SB installed even when I mashed the pedal to go WOT that huge lag still existed and the power at the moment you need it doesn't exist
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol not even possible to track our cars. I still think winter is out to get us. I can honestly see a snow storm happening one more time.

mother nature doesnt like us, haha we almost lost a man on our dyno day, like -29'C at dawn
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

As a serious question: What exactly do you want to prove by tracking the car? I'm not asking the question to ball bust or attack anybody and I'm not looking for an answer that defends a position - I'm just curious as to what you're expecting to see. Give me the most dispassionate, scientific answer you can - like you're doing a lab write-up for science class
Old Apr 1, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by laksman91
A good question to ask is, would it reduce quarter mile times? I dont have a CVT but from what I've read CVT takes time to "kick in" when you WOT it. If this product reduces this time. It should also reduce 1/4 Mile times right
No, it cannot, even the people who make the product clearly state this.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aj_pierce
Well none of us who have this thing installed have actually tracked it yet. Well at least those who are close with evo_soul up here. Some spring events are coming up and we may actually conduct a test of this at the track.

but like you said the CVT does take time to kick in, a few seconds actually. but if you have actually tried this product, and this is based on practical personal experience, with the SB installed that huge lag is eliminated.

With out the SB installed even when I mashed the pedal to go WOT that huge lag still existed and the power at the moment you need it doesn't exist
Based on how the product works, this cannot be true. The SB has no direct interaction with the transmission, it simply gives the ECU a WOT signal a fraction of a second faster. That lag is the transmission, not the throttle.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 06:11 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Based on how the product works, this cannot be true. The SB has no direct interaction with the transmission, it simply gives the ECU a WOT signal a fraction of a second faster. That lag is the transmission, not the throttle.
+1 on this

any difference you feel is most likely just in your head.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:02 AM

If you glue a 2" thick piece of rubber on your pedal, you end up with the same thing. WOT at the fraction of a second before your foot would hit the floor with no gadgets.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:13 AM
Account Disabled

as i said before i think it all goes back to one thing..if you dont have a CVT you really cant say the product does nothing because its logical in your head or logical to every car. nobody here is a CVT expert and no one knows every single thing about it. its a fairly new transmission. with that being said when amby said that the lag is the transmission thats not true, if you drive one every day its clearly a throttle issue..the people who created sprint booster im sure didnt do massive amounts of testing on the CVT version. they designed it to do the same thing as it does with every other car, now how it may react on a different transmission is a differnt story..

go in the evo section and there are people with an MR who have the blitz throttle controller or whatever its called. essentially its the same thing..there was the exact same argument and most of the people saying the same thing you guys are saying now..owned a MT, so like amby and others just say what makes sense in their head. the SST is new nobody fully knows all about that tranny either. so to say it wont do this or it wont do that because it wouldnt on a normal car or in a normal situation..well you cant exactly do that..

me personally from having a CVT will give this thing a shot..if you dont have one. you dont understand and pretty much couldnt understand where evosoul is coming from. in the evo section there are generally more educated people when it comes to cars and what not. so i would suggest reading through that thread reading the valid arguments.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:52 AM

Why are you guys keep bringing up the CVT when it has nothing to do with the tranny? Flooring your accelerator is just that, flooring it. Your factory tranny during WOT acceleration will do only as much as it was designed for under WOT acceleration.

If the company selling this product clearly state it that you will not have any gain using their product. What on earth makes you guys argue that it does? Do you see any logic in that?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:00 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LuDa
as i said before i think it all goes back to one thing..if you dont have a CVT you really cant say the product does nothing because its logical in your head or logical to every car. nobody here is a CVT expert and no one knows every single thing about it. its a fairly new transmission. with that being said when amby said that the lag is the transmission thats not true, if you drive one every day its clearly a throttle issue..the people who created sprint booster im sure didnt do massive amounts of testing on the CVT version. they designed it to do the same thing as it does with every other car, now how it may react on a different transmission is a differnt story..

go in the evo section and there are people with an MR who have the blitz throttle controller or whatever its called. essentially its the same thing..there was the exact same argument and most of the people saying the same thing you guys are saying now..owned a MT, so like amby and others just say what makes sense in their head. the SST is new nobody fully knows all about that tranny either. so to say it wont do this or it wont do that because it wouldnt on a normal car or in a normal situation..well you cant exactly do that..

me personally from having a CVT will give this thing a shot..if you dont have one. you dont understand and pretty much couldnt understand where evosoul is coming from. in the evo section there are generally more educated people when it comes to cars and what not. so i would suggest reading through that thread reading the valid arguments.

If the "lag" was a throttle issue. People with manual transmissions would experience the same problem. So saying people who drive MT don't understand, and then saying the problem is unrelated to the transmission is contradicting yourself.

The CVT isn't some magical piece of equipment that nobody understands. For the most part it's pretty straight forward and the concept isn't tough to grasp. Especially on this topic. The SB is in no way connected to the transmission, and unless it has a +10 enchantment spell that i don't know about, it's physically impossible for it to make any more difference then just pushing your foot down further on the pedal.

Also the SST transmission is a completely different machine, and comparing the CVT or anything related to the CVT is ridiculous. You might as well be comparing it to a space shuttle

Last edited by crypto; Apr 2, 2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

To take that argument one further since my direct quoting from mitsu's website didnt inspire a real response from the other side to raise the possibility of a device like this having a positive effect on power performance.

This product doesnt have to interact with the Transmission controller or the ECU controller. devices like this work to fool the two controllers with a more aggressive throttle signal. now using the word "Fool" may sound sinister to "some " on here, but hey, what isnt sinister about tranmissions design to force economy driving on you.

The best way to describe the CVT programing in D mode is that there are mulitple layers of programing that look at user input which i described earlier and using that variable input and looking at other variable factors such as car vital signs like heat temps, car speed, and fault checks. After all that there are very fixed parameters established that will detemine how much performance vs. economy you will get. I hate using arbitrary numbers but I am basing this on my personal experience and answers from general inquiries with some mitsu techs. But the CVT is designed to give you fuel economy solutions as you apply power. It looks at your history of driving (short term and possibly long term) and give you the minimum amount of power performance possible, and continue to give you a fuel economy solution aka a RPM and gear ratio pairing. remember one factor which is strongly considered is the history behaviour. This is why when you really need to go, you continue to press harder and harder on the pedal until the ECU / TCU get it. If you drive a Lancer with a CVT you know what I am talking about, you want to pass a car, your instinct says press 20% more, not much changes, you press 20% more, you get a little more. only when you press 20% more then the transmission gets it. And litterally takes the leash off and then you get that RPM needle jumping up to the 3500 to 4000 RPM range.

With Sprint Booster is a different car, why because of the more aggressive throttle , both response and certain zone amplification. If you look at the chart at the beginning of this thread you will see a dynamic throttle curve, that one is geared towards reaching top throttle 100% sooner. But that is not what is the case with this cvt version. I would say its in between that one and the curve found on the main page of the other sprintbooster website at sprintboosterusa.com if you look and compare the curves they are different. The same thing goes for the Blitz unit I am assuming they are tuned a very specific way hense why you cant slap the manual version on the cvt version, the driving behaviour maybe unnotice or be odd.

With the SB, all those same factors come in to play, but remember, the car is not going to hold you back as much because your input demand is increased. the ECUs will not adjust and make the car drive the way it did before and ignore the increased User demand. it will respond as its design to, if the user is demanding more power, more throttle response, the CVT will not get in the way of it (As much) I find it alot easier to break thru the 2500 RPM threshold. ANYONE AND I MEAN ANYONE who drives a CVT without spring booster, knows that Its very frigging hard to get your RPM needle above 2500 RPM without seriously pressing on that pedal.

After sprint booster its very easy to get over that threshold, part reason is yes the amplified signal, but the second more import part is, the ECU / TCU does not fight as much to keep you under it. This is where that learned behaviour comes in.
Now if you talk to anyone who uses sprint booster, I go no where near 100% throttle. I am not refering to racing or tracking , i am talking about normal driving.

So to answer the complaint or counter point raised here, the ECU and the CVT are not tapped into. Because there is no need, user input is one of the biggest factors that goes into the determination of the CVTs attitude. Second point, this can not be easily programmed into the CVT or the ECU because of the super complex software programming. Jatco said, if such a dynamic behaviours were to be put in, this would take Mitsubishi's development team some time to impliment test, retest and then phase into their product line. in other words. hahah this would be in the 4th version of this software platform.

INVECS-III CVT
INVECS-III CVT achieves low fuel consumption and a smooth ride
INVECS = Intelligent & Innovative Vehicle Electronic Control System
CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission
INVECS-III is an advanced system that automatically selects the optimal gear ratio based on road and driving conditions ("optimal control"), and utilizes "learning control" to match the particular driver's driving style. In addition, a CVT that brings out the efficiency from the engine performance is provided. Like a conventional automatic transmission, there is no jolt when shifting gears and every time the accelerator is applied there is enjoyable, smooth acceleration.
Furthermore , a torque converter enables creep forward driving (slight deceleration) when the accelerator is not applied and hillstarts are made fun.

The Continuously Variable Transmission makes for optimal driving pleasure by downsizing the pulley piston, reducing the oil pump discharge rate, and controlling direct torque control. All of this results in efficient engine output, offering drivers an exceptionally smooth ride. Based on driver demand as measured by accelerator travel information, optimal efficiency is achieved between the engine and CVT according to the motive forces experienced under driving circumstances. Supple acceleration and smooth driving feel are realized in all kinds of conditions while also improving fuel economy.

Last edited by evo_soul; Apr 2, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by crypto
Also the SST transmission is a completely different machine, and comparing the CVT or anything related to the CVT is ridiculous. You might as well be comparing it to a space shuttle
they are completely different Hardware wise. but the software that operates them are extremely complex hense why they have not been hacked or modified. (yet) Rocket science may start to apply when you think of all the redundancies and behaviours that are involved. Mater a fact the SST was delayed for just that reason because of what Mitsubishi techs called, "minor programing bugs"

The CVT has been around for alot longer and from a hardware point of view its pretty easy to understand its operation.

The programing and evolution of mitsubishi's CVT platform has made the tranny more complex and I would say as complicated if not more complicated then the other subsystems of the car.

Originally Posted by crypto
If the "lag" was a throttle issue. People with manual transmissions would experience the same problem. So saying people who drive MT don't understand, and then saying the problem is unrelated to the transmission is contradicting yourself.
This is not lag and this is miss understood. there are multiple layers of programing that prime and impliment a set driving profile. Unless the behaviour is learned, the TCU will attempt to anticipate what the user wants. in a super simplistic way and based on what i have learned. if you normally at 20 to 40 throttle %. and you step on the pedal at 75%, the TCU will impliment a comprimised throttle position of 55% or 60%. Its only when you stomp further that the program allows for more and more throttle based on that demand.

forgive the model above, but unles you have driven a CVT transmission you may not understand this. Show this to anyone who has driven a CVT, and I am sure this will make perfect sense. I can understand your need for science fact, but Mitsubishi and Jatco release very little technical info because there systems are propritary. which means, patented and corporate secrets. So some this is something system, to someone its a way of survive in the business world. I on the other hand sit on the fence but generally point towards open source solutions and ideas

Last edited by evo_soul; Apr 2, 2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:29 AM
Former Vendor

Throwing out technical terms, and continuing to define a CVT and what it does isn't actually addressing the issue. You applying attributes to this product that it doesn't actually have and talking about it as if it's a piggyback, or a stand alone.

The sprint booster literally does ONE thing....and that is to amplify the signal from the throttle pedal. That's it, it's not making the car more aggressive, it's not reprogramming the ECU, it's not doing anything other than increasing the signal so that the ECU thinks your pressing the pedal more than you actually are.
So the only real gain i can see, is for incredibly lazy people who don't want to press their gas pedal as hard to get power.

As far as the ECU/TCU learning goes, this product makes ZERO difference to how they learn.
All it's doing is telling them you're giving the car more gas than you actually are so it adjusts to a more aggressive driving style.
This EXACT goal can be accomplished by just pressing on the gas more and driving more aggressively.

Now unless I've completely missed something and the sprint booster is somehow reprogramming the ECU then I am 100% correct.
I'm not saying this product doesn't work, I'm just saying what it does can be accomplished for free by just pressing down on the pedal harder and letting your car learn a more aggressive driving style.
Save your $300 and go buy something worthwhile

also as i side note, i have driven a CVT for an extended period of time. I've also driven a regular MT, Auto and the SST

Last edited by crypto; Apr 2, 2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Yes we can though. If someone came up to me and said they cured their health woes by eating a small container of probiotic yogurt a day, I can call BS on their claim that it was because of the bacterial culture in the yogurt. Why? Because it makes no scientific sense. The same applies here, given how this product works, these claims that it fundamentally changes the way in which the CVT transmission behaves make no sense.
The only way it can be a throttle issue is if the CVT transmission is unable to hit 100% throttle stock. I find this highly unlikely. Moreover, unless they decided to use a completely different throttle system for the CVT, this would likely be an ECU issue (ie. the ECU was tuned to never give 100% throttle) in which case this product still wouldn't work.
Yes there are people with the Blitz throttle controller, and yes some claim it's great but others are saying it did nothing, it's not worth the money or it plain and simply is snake oil, just as I've been saying for weeks if not months.
This argument that MT owners just can't understand is absolute BS, if people cannot explain this product rationally, it remains snake oil and all the claims associated with it are likely due to the placebo effect, if I spent 300$ on a 20$ amplifier, I'd want to see something too.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
To take that argument one further since my direct quoting from mitsu's website didnt inspire a real response from the other side to raise the possibility of a device like this having a positive effect on power performance.

This product doesnt have to interact with the Transmission controller or the ECU controller. devices like this work to fool the two controllers with a more aggressive throttle signal. now using the word "Fool" may sound sinister to "some " on here, but hey, what isnt sinister about tranmissions design to force economy driving on you.

The best way to describe the CVT programing in D mode is that there are mulitple layers of programing that look at user input which i described earlier and using that variable input and looking at other variable factors such as car vital signs like heat temps, car speed, and fault checks. After all that there are very fixed parameters established that will detemine how much performance vs. economy you will get. I hate using arbitrary numbers but I am basing this on my personal experience and answers from general inquiries with some mitsu techs. But the CVT is designed to give you fuel economy solutions as you apply power. It looks at your history of driving (short term and possibly long term) and give you the minimum amount of power performance possible, and continue to give you a fuel economy solution aka a RPM and gear ratio pairing. remember one factor which is strongly considered is the history behaviour. This is why when you really need to go, you continue to press harder and harder on the pedal until the ECU / TCU get it. If you drive a Lancer with a CVT you know what I am talking about, you want to pass a car, your instinct says press 20% more, not much changes, you press 20% more, you get a little more. only when you press 20% more then the transmission gets it. And litterally takes the leash off and then you get that RPM needle jumping up to the 3500 to 4000 RPM range.

With Sprint Booster is a different car, why because of the more aggressive throttle , both response and certain zone amplification. If you look at the chart at the beginning of this thread you will see a dynamic throttle curve, that one is geared towards reaching top throttle 100% sooner. But that is not what is the case with this cvt version. I would say its in between that one and the curve found on the main page of the other sprintbooster website at sprintboosterusa.com if you look and compare the curves they are different. The same thing goes for the Blitz unit I am assuming they are tuned a very specific way hense why you cant slap the manual version on the cvt version, the driving behaviour maybe unnotice or be odd.

With the SB, all those same factors come in to play, but remember, the car is not going to hold you back as much because your input demand is increased. the ECUs will not adjust and make the car drive the way it did before and ignore the increased User demand. it will respond as its design to, if the user is demanding more power, more throttle response, the CVT will not get in the way of it (As much) I find it alot easier to break thru the 2500 RPM threshold. ANYONE AND I MEAN ANYONE who drives a CVT without spring booster, knows that Its very frigging hard to get your RPM needle above 2500 RPM without seriously pressing on that pedal.

After sprint booster its very easy to get over that threshold, part reason is yes the amplified signal, but the second more import part is, the ECU / TCU does not fight as much to keep you under it. This is where that learned behaviour comes in.
Now if you talk to anyone who uses sprint booster, I go no where near 100% throttle. I am not refering to racing or tracking , i am talking about normal driving.

So to answer the complaint or counter point raised here, the ECU and the CVT are not tapped into. Because there is no need, user input is one of the biggest factors that goes into the determination of the CVTs attitude. Second point, this can not be easily programmed into the CVT or the ECU because of the super complex software programming. Jatco said, if such a dynamic behaviours were to be put in, this would take Mitsubishi's development team some time to impliment test, retest and then phase into their product line. in other words. hahah this would be in the 4th version of this software platform.

INVECS-III CVT
INVECS-III CVT achieves low fuel consumption and a smooth ride
INVECS = Intelligent & Innovative Vehicle Electronic Control System
CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission
INVECS-III is an advanced system that automatically selects the optimal gear ratio based on road and driving conditions ("optimal control"), and utilizes "learning control" to match the particular driver's driving style. In addition, a CVT that brings out the efficiency from the engine performance is provided. Like a conventional automatic transmission, there is no jolt when shifting gears and every time the accelerator is applied there is enjoyable, smooth acceleration.
Furthermore , a torque converter enables creep forward driving (slight deceleration) when the accelerator is not applied and hillstarts are made fun.

The Continuously Variable Transmission makes for optimal driving pleasure by downsizing the pulley piston, reducing the oil pump discharge rate, and controlling direct torque control. All of this results in efficient engine output, offering drivers an exceptionally smooth ride. Based on driver demand as measured by accelerator travel information, optimal efficiency is achieved between the engine and CVT according to the motive forces experienced under driving circumstances. Supple acceleration and smooth driving feel are realized in all kinds of conditions while also improving fuel economy.
Again, throwing out big words does nothing for your argument. You're not answering the question at all.
If this product does exactly what I've been saying, and simply gives you a longer WOT signal (because you hit WOT faster and are more likely to encounter it during daily driving), it is indirectly changing the transmission's behaviour in a manner that can be achieved without the product. If you drove around at WOT all the time, the transmission would adapt to this.
If there are multiple layers, how will changing one cause this dramatic effect you keep on claiming? Again, that makes no sense.
I highly doubt these controllers are custom tuned, I suspect it's a universal map and they simply change the plugs to allow a plug and play application. You're giving them far too much credit.
If all you're doing is increasing the throttle signal, your statement regarding the ECU fighting your input makes zero sense. Again, you are massively overindulging what this product can and cannot do.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster, how does it work?