Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Ecu Reflash?????????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2003, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecu Reflash?????????

Ok, I was wondering about the ECU Reflash for a 5 speed OZ. I'am paying them like $600 to just reprogram my stock ECU. Wouldn't it be better to get a AFC or something? $600 seems like a **** load for a a new program on your ECU...
Old Oct 18, 2003, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

good point..whats the diffrence betwene getting say the S-AFC instaid of the ecu reflash?
Old Oct 18, 2003, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

They tune it for you. With a S-AFC you have to know alot about fuel and ignition curves. The price is not bad considering all of the R&D.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

With an AFC you'll never be able to play with ignition timing. The AFC also will only be able to lean out your curve and you want to be extra careful to avoid leaning out to much, that and you have to tune to the mods you have and bolts on with fuel tuning, an AFC is a waste of cash. Don't be entirely surprised at the cost of the Road Race reflash. Think: small company corners entire market on one product (reflash) for a car that has a very complex ECU that doesn't like to get hacked as opposed to the Euro reflashes you always see.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

but if you know what your doing doesnt the afc do more than the ecu? simply because its c controlable ecu.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

I have everything from lasers that cut **** and color laser printers to poster prints... I have everything for a computer.. How the helll do i get the interface for the ECU... I want to do them.... or is it to much work?
Old Oct 19, 2003, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

if i were you wait till you get your turbo bro ... that way youll def. see a differnce with your car.. other wise it wont do THAT much ... just my .02 good luck with everything..
~mark
Old Oct 19, 2003, 11:57 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I understand properly, AFC can only increase or decrease the fuel, the reflash actually changes the curve, so it starts out richer and gets leaner as the RPS increase (this is the NA one I'm talking about). It also changes timing, which I don't believe you can do with an AFC, also the reason why you should run 91 octane with the reflash, since the timing is advanced a bit.

As for buying the interface, I believe I was told that it costs $3000, then you need the software and buy rights to it. If you want to go through all of that AND think you can design a more powerful and efficient fuel curve (since I doubt Rob will sell you his), go for it. As for me, I just grumbed about computer guys getting paid too much and handed over the 500 bills.