Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

New Autoweek anouncment: WRX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2001, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New Autoweek anouncment: WRX

Autoweek just anounced that they will be releasing a full fledged WRX sti in the U.S. in 2003 for the 2004 model year. I sure hope the evo will be here to compete.
Old Oct 1, 2001, 06:33 PM

Re: New Autoweek anouncment: WRX

Originally posted by John
Autoweek just anounced that they will be releasing a full fledged WRX sti in the U.S. in 2003 for the 2004 model year. I sure hope the evo will be here to compete.
When did Autoweek start releasing the WRX? I thought it was up to FHI and Subaru ...
Old Oct 2, 2001, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Well, the article in SCC seems to support the idea that an Evo will arrive around the same time, so we will see.
Old Oct 2, 2001, 05:10 PM

Well, since the WRX STi will be released in year 2003 as a 2004 model. Will that also mean that Mitsubishi'll be releasing the 2004 model Evo VII in 2003? By all means.. I don't want Mitsubishi to do something stupid to the car (because of the front bumper isn't stable). I hope they do not change the Turbo Intercooler, so it can pass the stupid crash test. I'd just wish they just made a STRONGER bumper so it can pass the crashing test.
Old Oct 2, 2001, 05:14 PM

My bad Subaru will release a 276 hp WRX for the 2004 model year. Also I just got the new SCC magazine and they say they have sources that conferm the Evo VII will be here around this time next year Life is good.
Old Oct 2, 2001, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

yeah SCC said the evo was coming and now that subaru is releasing the STI the EVO should be here around the same time to compete with it..
Old Oct 2, 2001, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

I looked at the Evo6 front bumper and i can tell you that there isnt space to put any sort of reinforcing bar at all.
Dont think it can even survive a 1mph hit.

Mitsu would have to redo the entire front bumper and make it much deeper with all the reinforcing stuff. Shouldnt be too hard to do but it would cost more money to create that bumper only for the US market...

That intercooler is huge and would be superexpensive to replace it, if it is damaged by a front collision.

Well, the rumors say that the Evo7/8 would be here next autumn, in '02 and that would beat out the STi.

Long Live the EVO !!!
Old Oct 4, 2001, 04:11 PM

Thumbs up

That cover of the new SCC with the evo 7 jumping that speed bump is on of the coolest things I've seen yet. I can't wait to get my hands on one next year.
Old Oct 4, 2001, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

bai bai rs hello evo 7
Old Oct 8, 2001, 10:23 PM

I don't understand what all the complication is with the bumper. Why doesn't Mitsu just put in a smaller intercooler. It may hinder performance a little, but they wouldn't have to redesign the car at liest. They would have more room for reenforcement. That's just the way I see it. Maybe i'm missing something here.

Last edited by WPRAX; Oct 9, 2001 at 12:01 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2001, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Smile

Some honcho from Mitsu said that they would try and bring the EVO over in as original condition as possible but yes, I agree with you guys, something has to change because there's no way that FMIC would go unmolested in a crash test.

Incidentally, if Mitsu takes a long time to get the EVO VII over here (ie. 2004)... any clues as to what an EVO VIII would look like because that may be the current model? New EVO models are genned every two years or so. Hopefully the EVO VIII will look like an EVO VI, back to nastiness!
Old Oct 9, 2001, 09:18 AM

Slightly off-topic...

If the FMIC is keeping the EVO away for now because it won't pass front crash tests, how did the Plymouth Prowler ever make it into production with it's open wheels? Seems like it would fail a front crash test even worse ...
Old Oct 9, 2001, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

and geo metro

and they REALLY have to bring some elises over
Old Oct 9, 2001, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsu always changes the front bumper, wheels, and the rear spoiler with each new Lancer Evolution.
For Evo8, there is the rumored GDI engine and a 6spd gearbox.
Old Oct 9, 2001, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

LanEvo, you can already an Elise here in the USA.
A company called Sun International is selling them but with the Integra TypeR engine, which is cool because it has more hp than the stock Elise.

Quick Reply: New Autoweek anouncment: WRX