Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

06 Leaking Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Leaking Fuel Tank

I bought this 06 a month ago, filled up one day and noticed a fuel smell. The next morning I could see it seeping out onto the ground and even more as the day warmed. Went out and siphoned enough out to stop the leak.

Dropped the tank today and found two small splits in the tank as shown in the pics. This also explains the evap leak.

Sanded the area, used some quick steel, replaced the tank, loaded up with fuel and all seems good so far.

FF
Attached Thumbnails 06 Leaking Fuel Tank-imag0825.jpg   06 Leaking Fuel Tank-imag0826.jpg   06 Leaking Fuel Tank-imag0827.jpg   06 Leaking Fuel Tank-imag0828.jpg  
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to hear that you handled it DIY. Good luck with it going forward!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:32 PM

^^^ Thanks for the props!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Similar thing happened to me, but it was a filler hose, not the tank.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:09 AM

I was real suprised to see this. One, being a metal tank, and two, it having a leak. I looked over all the blots before I removed it and the tanks has never been touched. I thought before taking it off it was going to be a hose leaking after someone had fiddled with it. Strange.

Wonder if more tanks have leaked there just not discussed, cause it is a weak point there.

Last edited by Fox Fader; Dec 21, 2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

This is the first time I've seen anything about fuel leaks (That I recall). If anything, there could've been variables as to why yours leaked. Maybe you ran something over and it hit your fuel tank causing it to fracture. Or maybe (since you're in Georgia), the humidity or water something could've caused the metal to degrade or something. In any case, glad to see you fixed it and hopefully it doesn't become an issue and further.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing something hit it. Maybe a shop lifted it wrong as well? I haven't heard of it happening before.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:22 PM

Who knows what happened. It didn't look like anything had touched the tank. None of the undercoated was scratched or anything. I disturbed the undercoating just lowering the tank.

I doubt humidity is a factor, if it were we'd see many many more cases like this.

The only thing I could think of is maybe someone was using the lip of the tank for leverage pulling on it to help themselves move around?

Last edited by Fox Fader; Dec 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:07 AM

Filled up the other day and smelled fuel. Gonna drop the tanks again and take another look. As long as we don't fill it up there's no leaking. I only have $1500 in this car so I really don't care, LOL.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:05 AM

did you find another problem? im having the same problem its seems. im filling up and smelling the fuel, i look under and i see it dripping im going to take the tank off this weekend to see if thats the problem.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by bjstrick
did you find another problem? im having the same problem its seems. im filling up and smelling the fuel, i look under and i see it dripping im going to take the tank off this weekend to see if thats the problem.
Yes I did, the repair I did came loose so I went with a more heavy duty repair, Seal-n-Place. It held up. I can drop that tank in a matter of minutes now.. LOL

I took more pics, but at work I'm too lazy to post them. If needed let me know.

Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:49 AM

Back from the dead...

Fox Fader: How is the leak holding up? Would you still recommend the stuff posted above?

I can't believe my tank is leaking. I was at the dealer the other day and they were replacing a fuel tank on another 2003 also...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Slobwalker
Back from the dead...

Fox Fader: How is the leak holding up? Would you still recommend the stuff posted above?

I can't believe my tank is leaking. I was at the dealer the other day and they were replacing a fuel tank on another 2003 also...
yes I do recommend it. The girl that bought the car from me has yet to say anything about it leaking so I believe it's good to go still.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey there i know this is an old thread but my fuel tank is leaking also...how do u get the tank off of the car? i work in a dealership and i have access to a lift but i noticed it was leaking ALOT this weekend...is it only the few brackets bolted from the tank to the body that keeps it in place?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 07:20 PM

I hope this works for me, I plan on doing this very soon

Quick Reply: 06 Leaking Fuel Tank