Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Guages...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2004, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guages...

i was kicking around the idea of getting an Air/Fuel ratio Guage and a Fuel Pressure Guage....just for fun ya know...

anyways...all the Air/Fuel guages just say "Rich/Stoich/Lean" are all cars the same when it comes to air/fuel ratio? how would it know if its rich or lean??

on the Fuel Pressure guage...do i want like a 0-15psi guage or a 0-100 psi guage?

and of course...if i get these...what should the 'normal' readings be if im all stock? and should they change with the basic bolt-ons?

thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2004, 03:27 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

is there much point in putting these guages on if you're stock? I suppose you could check the guage now and compare it to when you have done mods, but you'd need some extreme mods before finding a use for those guages. I don't think I'd even look into that unless I was boosting.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

im aware of them not doing much...but this summer i plan on custom turbo'ing my car. my bro custom turbo'd his prelude and said he could do my car to...he can do piping etc and knows a few DSM'rs that will give him a t-25/28 and fuel pump no sweat....so i figured i'd just get them now, get them dialed in correctly so they show proper settings than its just one less thing to worry about when we goto turbo it this summer. i think i'll get all of the 'little things' before i go to his place this summer. (he lives in Vegas)

and gives me something else to look at besides my boring tach that is so slow! ..for now
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

could i just get that "Auterra DynoScan Tool" and read everything off of that??
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:36 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

You're way over my head, then.

*Paging Mr. Hobiekopek. Andrew to the Lancer General borad*
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

heh wow, never thought i'd do that...i guess ur more of the autocrosser eh? your still my hero for the turns lol

i think rhyzin would know more about this, but im sure hobie can help me out just as well, both are very knowledgeable....i guess i'll just continue my reading throught the threads of turbo related info...to see if these are even worth getting
Old Feb 5, 2004, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you would want a electronic fuel pressure gauge, the 0-100psi type, and as far as i know of the AF ratio is the same on any car that has electronic fuel injection. you can always grab a boost gauge and monitor vacuum pressure too.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

yeah from reading i found out 12.5:1 a/f ratio is the best for an internal combustion engine....so that solves one question

never thought of buying a boost guage and using it to monitor vacuum pressure....guess ill purchase a boost guage and hook it up to that until i turbo my car.

i think ill hold out on a fuel pres. guage unless i actually need one.

when i turbo...i mainly just plan on running like 12.5:1 or 12.2:1 around that area, and at 5-6 psi all day....and thats it...don't want to get all technical with everything.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

First off Drive, you cant get one of those crappy a/f gauges, because it does basically nothing other than, telling you when you run rich, the light goes green, then telling u when your lean (which you can easily feel in the engine) goes red, IF you want an A/F gauge u need to get something like a greddy gauge, It actually has the numbers on it, Another gauge you are going to need to get for your turbo IS the boost gauge that is a must have, also if you really want another good gauge to have is an EGT Gauge, you can get a cheap auto meter boost gauge for like $50, a good AF gauge for 250 and a good egt for 180-260 No need for a fuel pressure gauge because u can get one with your FMU and its kinda pointless because you can't "dial them in" they are only indacators, u need to get something to make them adjust, like the af ( some sort of AFC ) the boost ( Boost controller HIGHLY recommended ) and... you cant really adjust egt, although it would be nice if you could but other than that really thats all the gauges u need.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

cool, yeah i remember a EGT Guage was a 'tuning' information guage...and i know i need a boost guage to see how much boost i got.

rhyzin has a theory on an s-afc...hoping someone tries it before i get mine. lol. anyways, do i need an fmu? or would i only need an s-afc? i just want the 'basic' things to run 5-6 psi
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

yea man u need an fmu... + something to controll the settings ie SAFC ( which works im with rhyzin on this one because im about to prove you all wrong) and either a Vortech FMU which seems to be the choice of everyone or a rising rate FPR, which i found out that mine is set at a static rate 1:1 instead of 1.7 to 1.. had to crank the **** out of my FPR to get some fuel, helped better under boost but since its set at like 60 PSI at idle, thing idles HORRIBLY, 60 psi is wayyyy too high for a static FPR, your main concern is fuel like everyone says with turbo, U may want to see if you can get some custom injectors, bigger than stock, bigger than mine, somewhere around 360-440 cc def. a fuel pump and egt is just exhaust gas temp, its not for tuning its so you dont melt your engine its aka Pyrometer, tells you how hot the exhaust gas temp is running.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

yah i knew what EGT was...i assumed u used it to tune the boost or fuel to make sure u have it dialed in right.

if u find out the s-afc does work shed the light on us all! im hoping it works to.

so just the vortech fmu, an s-afc, upgraded fuel pump, and rising rate fpr? and upgraded injectors? and that would be good on the fuel part?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

if u find out the s-afc does work shed the light on us all! im hoping it works to.
I dont think its a matter of it working or not, its just a matter of having all the correct parts before you try and tune the thing, because I saw them at the dyno get my af to 14.7 in almost every gear except if i Mash on the pedal which causes me to go lean, due to the Static FPR soon as i get the vortech fmu, which will probably be comming in next week ill be doing some testing with the WB02 and basically see as soon as i install it Punch the gas to see if i get fuel cut, which i dont think that I will. And im going to be printing some readouts with my WB02 and different map settings on my SAFC ill post some screenshots soon as i get some raw data which comes after i get my new fpr.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

since on the topic of gauges.....which is recommended just boost or boost/vac??
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

which is recommended just boost or boost/vac??
BOOST / VAC is on 1 gauge... the negative side is Vac, which is in Hg, and the Boost side the right side is in PSI