Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.
View Poll Results: Do you like it????
I LOVE IT!!!!
56.25%
Its ok
31.25%
needs changes
12.50%
HATE IT!!!
0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

modification ideas please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2002, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb modification ideas please!!!!

Hey everyone, I'm new on this board, have been looking around for about a month. Really enjoy reading everyones ideas. Could you give me some help as to what my best kilowatts/money options are next in line modification wise?

This is on a Jap spec Evo 4 running on Sparco 17" rims and 215 Bridgestone Potenzas.

pics enclosed

I am in new zealand, have had minimal work done so far,

Fully adjustable Cusco suspension, 3 inch exhaust, Link ecu, a lot of parts in the engine have been replaced new, cambelt, valves etc. Dash mounted intercooler waterspray. The induction side is currently being done, the plan is a shielded coldbox, with samco silicon hosing, and a foam filter , pipes running down to the front air vent. Have fitted a elec boost controller, has worked really well, can run higher boost without having to go into the ecu.

You guys won't have heard of the Link ecu, it is used on the rally wrx's over here, is about half the price of Motec & Autronic and does pretty much everything they do if the tuner knows their stuff. I was running 135kw@wheels standard, and now the link is in I am running 180kw@wheels, thats a fair increase( 16psi).

What do you think I should do next?

My fuel injectors are running at 88% so I think they are next in line to be replaced with a bigger fuel pump, maybe cams.

I want to go pretty much as far as possible on the standard turbo, because bigger turbos are very expensive, manifolds etc

Any ideas appreciated, many thanks from that little country on the other side of the world!!
Old Jul 22, 2002, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice car

Based upon your list of mod, I see you didn't list/do anything with the brakes. I would suggest with more power, better brakes should also be considered . And, yeah, like you said, you would be better off upgrading you fuel system (pump, fuel rail, and injectors).

How about used turbo, bigger EVO V intercooler from salvage yard? You can get them and rebuild the turbo. I know they might be highly sought after items But anyhow, they should be cheaper than new ones, right? Just a suggestion

Good Luck
Old Jul 23, 2002, 01:08 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Lan Evo,

Your suggestions are much appreciated, will look into them today and let you know how I go. Do you recomend any particular turbo, in terms of how much horsepower they can cope with?

My apoligies if I sound dumb, in terms on an evo v intercooler, you say they are bigger, is it much of a job to fit them?

Sorry about neglecting to mention the brakes, when I recieved it from japan, the standard Brembos had been replaced with "Aviation Standard " Racing brakes. I was skeptical but after getting them tested and using them on the road found them awesome. I am unsure of the exact name but they did a great job with the brake setup, braided cables, etc.

I will try and find out the brand compound used in the pads.

Much appreciated, Ian
Old Jul 25, 2002, 12:51 AM

Struggling!

How hard is it to get an evo v intercooler. All the crashes over here seem to be head on!!

I'm trying to source a bigger turbo second hand to rebuild, this isn't proving to be easy either. Just keep on trying I guess. Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2002, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

Ouch, there are couple sites you can check (you might know them already):

http://www.adelaidejap.com.au/

http://www.japparts.com.au/

They might have what you want.

Regarding the EVO V intercooler, I have read in magazines from Hong Kong that you would have to do some modification to the bumper in order for the "taller" intercooler to fit.

About the size of the turbo, I think that really depends on the amount of horsepower you're trying to extract from this engine. I might be able to find an article about this for you....

Again, good luck
Old Jul 27, 2002, 01:47 AM

Question

Thanks for those links, I managed to find some contacts here in New Zealand.

Turbowise, I think my best bet will be a GT Roller Bearing turbo, I may be able to get one a little bit cheaper than norm. But I will have to replace the rods and pistons, to ensure the engine can cope with the future! They are expensive

Re the intercooler, I am going to modify the existing tubes up to 80mm, should match the intercoolers airflow. Can't see any disadvantages trying this. I don't understand why haven't already modified this standard.

Catch you soon
Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:39 PM

Thumbs up cheers

Thanks Claudius, I haven't spoken to Andrew but would be very keen to speak to him as everyone else here runs Motec or Autronic. If you are in touch with him could you pass on this thread. Cheers

Am envious of you being onto your 2nd 6 I am hoping to get a 6.5 TME eventually!!!

Regards boost levels, I am running 16psi/1.1 bar through Profec B, but since fitting the new air intake(2 days ago) the boost guages warning light is coming on and the boost is about 1.3-1.4 bar at top boost. It is holding, no spikes. I am hoping this is just a minor thing and it may have been conditions as it is very cold here. We won't talk about morning starts!!!

I think to be running at boost levels that you must be at I will have to replace the rods and pistons, the evo rods are pretty flimsy esp as it is well above what it was made to carry.

Look forward to hearing from you
Old Jul 27, 2002, 01:30 PM

Just my .02. I like everything about it except the rims. Sorry but I have just never liked gold rims.
Old Jul 28, 2002, 12:05 PM

Hi there, thanks for everyones views, keep them coming!

I can't send andrewn a pm as it says he refuses to accept them. If anyone knows how to get in touch that would be good.

I recieved a quote today for HKS cams and MSD injectors, they are very expensive, around $1950 USD altogether. That is fitted though.

Can anyone tell me what kind of improvement this will give me, roughly?

Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2002, 11:28 AM

Hey guys, does anyone know anything about the injectors and cams that i wrote about above.

I still can't get in contact with andrewn !!!!!

Cheers