Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Smell something awful

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2004, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Smell something awful

I reved the engine up in and tired to put it in gear nothing happened and it just kept going up almost redlining it even though i was trying to switch gears... then some smell came out... from the tranny i think... burned the clutch? my first time driving stick... need advice pls..!
Old Feb 21, 2004, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

you were probly burning the clutch, i doubt you completely burned it out unless youve been trying to drive that car a lot. get somebody who is used to driving a clutch to take it for a spin and see what they think
Old Feb 21, 2004, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

clutch...yuckk that makes you dizzy if you smell it for a while
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:05 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can make the clutch pretty stinky before you even burn it out. I did that a few times trying to park uphill in my first car. You're new, it's gonna happen. But work on it, though, because the more you do that the sooner your clutch will die. There's a reason 1st timers replace a clutch at 30k while OG drivers get 100k out of theirs.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 09:48 PM

Step on the clutch first, then shift it into gear, then release the clutch slowly, and slowly give it gas.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Get a friend that knows how to drive manual to go out with you to a parking lot. Practice stop and go for about 30 minutes a few nights a week. Once you get more comfortable try one some elevated areas in a parking lot to get the feel for hills. This is the best way to learn without burning out your clutch.

I learned on my 93 Honda Civic which had like 100k on the clock, and when I traded it in for my Lancer it had about 145k on it, and the clutch was slipping big time. I think that was the stock clutch though, and I did beat on it during autocross because I was still learning how to launch. Just keep at it and you'll learn, and your clutch should be fine.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

put the clutch in, put it in first, let the clutch out about a quarter to half way out and just gun it for about a minute, then you'll have a great reason to spring for the rrm clutch plate.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jaymz916
put the clutch in, put it in first, let the clutch out about a quarter to half way out and just gun it for about a minute, then you'll have a great reason to spring for the rrm clutch plate.
Just for clarity this is what you SHOULDN"T do Jaymz is just being funny. It's much better to learn on a stock clutch than on a reinforced clutch as the reinforced clutch can be more difficult to drive for some people/the inexperienced depending on the clutch.

Additionally generating that kind of heat and load on the transmission and so forth is not beneficial for the transmission and anything near it. Just in case anyone else was getting some ideas

Last edited by sdhotwn; Feb 24, 2004 at 04:09 PM.