Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

First motor build. 2.0 suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 09:30 PM
ZZA

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First motor build. 2.0 suggestions

My evo 6 motor threw a rod leaving a nice hole in the block at cylinder #3. I've sourced a fresh evo 4 engine block to build my new motor on, was looking for suggestions regarding my part choices. The car will be used as a daily driver and road racing. Expecting to push ~500 whp on 91 + meth with a fp black. Want to rev high 9isssh. This is my first build and I'm not sure if I chose the right parts for my application, gurus chime in please.

Wiesco 1400HD pistions 85.5mm bore 9.0 cr
Manley turbo tuff I-beam rods 150mm
Brand new OEM crank (Is there a difference between the MD346024 7 bolt dsm crank and the evo 8/9 crank MD357543?
Mitsubishi OEM gasket set with 5 layer MLS gasket
Arp l19 headstuds (Is it worth spending the extra for L19s over the standard arp?)
Arp main studs
Evo 8 oil pump oem
ACL race bearings main & rod
Brand new OEM evo 8 oil pan
Brand new oil pickup
Tomei slicing oil baffle (is there any benifit to this over the oem)?

Gsc s2 cams
Valve springs?
What timing belt should I get? Gates or OEM?
JB FP Black external wastegate

Mods already done to the car:
ID2000cc injectors
Denso COP kit
ORC twin plate clutch
ETS 3.5" fmic
Evo 8 ecu
3" TBE
Asnu 330 lph pump
3" intake
Omni 4 bar map
ETS LCIP
Grimmspeed ECBS

EDIT: Posted in the lancer section by accident. Moderators help please.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZZA
My evo 6 motor threw a rod leaving a nice hole in the block at cylinder #3. I've sourced a fresh evo 4 engine block to build my new motor on, was looking for suggestions regarding my part choices. The car will be used as a daily driver and road racing. Expecting to push ~500 whp on 91 + meth with a fp black. Want to rev high 9isssh. This is my first build and I'm not sure if I chose the right parts for my application, gurus chime in please.

Wiesco 1400HD pistions 85.5mm bore 9.0 cr
Manley turbo tuff I-beam rods 150mm
Brand new OEM crank (Is there a difference between the MD346024 7 bolt dsm crank and the evo 8/9 crank MD357543?
Mitsubishi OEM gasket set with 5 layer MLS gasket
Arp l19 headstuds (Is it worth spending the extra for L19s over the standard arp?)
Arp main studs
Evo 8 oil pump oem
ACL race bearings main & rod
Brand new OEM evo 8 oil pan
Brand new oil pickup
Tomei slicing oil baffle (is there any benifit to this over the oem)?

Gsc s2 cams
Valve springs?
What timing belt should I get? Gates or OEM?
JB FP Black external wastegate

Mods already done to the car:
ID2000cc injectors
Denso COP kit
ORC twin plate clutch
ETS 3.5" fmic
Evo 8 ecu
3" TBE
Asnu 330 lph pump
3" intake
Omni 4 bar map
ETS LCIP
Grimmspeed ECBS

EDIT: Posted in the lancer section by accident. Moderators help please.
500 hp and all those mods?

People rock 500hp on stock block with a good torque controlled tune and revved out to 9, that would be easy.

Ive been doing a lot of research since I'm in the same boat as having to select new parts for a build...

The internals that you selected could handle probably 800+ HP. Which is great but unless you plan in another year or so to really push the limit and tune to that much power, you may want to kick it down a notch.

Lighter H tuff rods will be easier on bearings than I beams (standard H beams can handle 500tq but that is their max). H tuff should be 600+tq. Hp is not as hard on internals as torque and HP is the result of torque.

Non HD pistons may suit you better since they dont have the thermal changes of the HD counterpart that can beat on cylinder walls on cold start.

If you want to rev to 9k then need balance shaft delete (hopefully a more dedicated race car than street and not really a daily).

500hp, standard studs would be fine...

GSC springs, everyone seems to love them.

OEM 9 belt supposedly has kevlar in it and is stronger.

MAPerformamce says that they've seen better wear from king bearings vs ACL.

Honestly my best advice would be to call up Maperformance and talk to them. They were a huge help and amazing to talk things through with. I talked to Leo but Adam is one of their most experienced 4g63 people. They can also source all the above with great and competitive pricing.