Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Thinking about '04 ES

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2004, 04:06 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The OZ has a 4x114.3 bolt pattern while the ES has a 4x100, and the Ralliart has a 5x100 (I think)

Ralliart is a completely different engine. OZ/ES has a bored 1.8 while the Ralliart has a MIVEC 2.4 I didn't realize the mpg was so much less on it, though. In that case, you would probably be happy with the ES as long as you're not trying to build a sub 10 second drag car.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. The RA runs the same bolt pattern as every other 5 lug Mitsu...I think 5x114 though but dont quote me there.

2. Yes the RA gets MUCh less efficient with fuel economy.

3. The performance difference between the RA and all the other Lancers are night and day. MUCH more responsive and flat out faster!

4. If you do a little homework you will see that if you are purchasing a NEW Lancer, the OZ is throwing away a lot of cash.

5. The older Lancer is a good buy, but you dont get the 100K mile warranty on anything but the new ones.

6. I paid $16,200 for my RA back in November, that is less than the MSPR for an OZ.

7. Spending $12K on a NEW Lancer 5 spd is a GREAT deal. That money is comparable to a Kia or Hyundai or base model Civic.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:30 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Very nice info from Michael. I thought someone mentioned that the Evo and RA had a different bolt pattern. Maybe they were mistaken. I'm still pissed that the OZ has 114.3 because very few rims come in that size.

One disagreement, the OZ is worth it if you bargain and intend on keeping the stock rims and body kit (like I did), otherwise you're throwing it all away.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

In my opinion, if you're wanting to go aftermarket, stick with the ES. Just for the fact you don't have all the same things as the higher models do. When I change one thing about my car, it becomes less like the next ES and that's what I love.

I too, like the styling on the 02-03 Models more than the 04's. Looks more like the daddy: the rally car.

I don't mind the rear drum brakes since I don't have to replace 4 pads or 4 rotors, only two.

The only problem I've had with my car thus far, is that it's an automatic. So far though, I've only need new brakes and I change the oil regularly.

Wonderful car and I'll probably get another Lancer later on in life.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

actually i take it back...i would rather have an es now that i think about it. Im gonna end up changing the rims, body, and suspension soon. So i pretty much threw away the oz style lol.

ya es is cheaper too plus the rims bolt pattern i forgot about that
Old Apr 25, 2004, 04:25 PM

Well I was going to go down to the dealer today while they're closed and just look around at them. I guess I still might since it doesn't get dark until 8ish. I'll see if they have sticker prices on them. Because they do keep advertising them as $11,990 [ES trim].

I would be changing more if I bought an ES and next-to-nothing if I bought an Oz. I don't mind stock wheels if they're acutally rims and not just steelies with hub caps. So if I bought an Oz the appearance would remain stock and I wouldn't be modding the engine for awhile because I'd be too poor!!
Old Apr 25, 2004, 07:02 PM

Okay well I just got back, and of course they only had MSRP sticker prices and no price on the used ES auto they had out. :'(

They only had 2 5-speed ES and 1 Ralli there, and no Ozs, which was disappointing. 14.1 MSRP on the ES 18.5 on the Ralli, which acutally did look the best out of all trims.

Hmm so now all I need to do is get the Jeep back and get it sold and then see if they'll give me ~$250/month payments on a 5 speed ralli
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:14 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Just make sure to bargain the price before you talk about monthly payments. I had a dealer that skipped over price and showed me monthly payments, I told him the price was too high so he came back with lower monthly payments but a longer time. He actually had it up to a 6 1/2 year loan, I didn't even know they could do that! I told him I would find a dealer that would actually bargain, then went to a different dealer and got mine for $300 over invoice.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:42 PM

Sorry, but what does over invoice mean? Is that just $300 more than they paid for it?

And of course I'd try to haggle down the price. Hehe I just have a feeling that since I'm 18 and no credit, that even if they do let me fiance it (with a co-signer or something), they are going to rape me on price anyway, but hey I need a new car that bad anyway and I'm planning on having to keep the car for at least 4 years of college anyway, plus I'll still need a cheaper car for right when I get out and get a real job, because I'll still be trying to save up money to payback college, etc.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:51 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally posted by hale
Sorry, but what does over invoice mean? Is that just $300 more than they paid for it?

bingo

The sale price of the car should have nothing to do with your credit, so haggle that as far as you can, and I highly recommend getting a cosigner. Interest will kill you, especially if you're 18 with no history.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:16 PM

How long until the '05s start rolling onto lots so I can get a '04 year-end clearance price? I doubt I'll be able to drive the Jeep or Tempo until then though, the tempo has a tranny leak and has been running with 0 fluid in it for close to 6 months!! It is becoming hard to put it into R from P now And well the Jeep is just a whole 'nother story which is why I want to get rid of it ASAP!

And seriously thank you all for your help. The Lancer is by far the best car I've even looked at and considered. And if I can't end up in a new one; I am going to keep trying with a low-milage used 5 speed. I still have yet to see one on autotrader or in local magazines though...they're all autos.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

I'd still say go with a used 02 or 03! IMHO, I like them better, but that's me.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:46 AM

I have a 2002 black Lancer ES. Not a lick of problem ever! Except for occasionally the glove box compartment the box would just open and I would have to close it. lol!
Its not a biggie though...
My model is the first model to come out so that small problem I'm hoping will not affect your decision.
Just do regular maintenance e.g. 3-7K oil change, 10k tire rotation. 15k intake filter, At 30K do coolant change, if Automatic do AT fluid change, sparkplugs, fuel injection service, brake fluid...
Its worth doing this maintenance. Your car will then last 300K with no problems except maybe some very minor repairs.
The tyranny of my car is flawless!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 02:07 AM

well since I plan on keeping the car way past 100k, I really would like to get the 100k mile warranty on a new '04 just incase the engine/tranny decide to explode after 60k miles...who knows anything can happen in those 40k miles....but I guess it all depends on what the dealer wants to give me?

I don't notice too much of a difference between the 02-03 and the 04? You guys keep saying there is shrug maybe its just cause i just started to look at them. Can anybody point the differences out to me? But I really do think I want to go after the Ralliart at all possible first. It seems like it'll have the most potentional for power later in its life.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

headlights are different for one, well the whole front end, the rear end is pretty different to, well basically the whole chassis is different.

Quick Reply: Thinking about '04 ES