Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Is the U.S. OZ rally Lancer worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2001, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the U.S. OZ rally Lancer worth the money?

I'm thinkin' about one of those since I'm in need of a car and couldn't pay for anything over 16,000...I don't know too much about the lancer we got here in the states so maybe some of you can help me out. How does it handle? I know it's slow (SOHC~~). but it's cheap..hehe
Old Nov 26, 2001, 05:06 PM

I think so..

I saw one yesterday.. it was bright yellow with a spoiler and anthracite wheels.. It looked sweet. It's definately a good looking car..

I haven't tested driven one, so I can't really comment on brakes, handling or power.. but the interior looks pretty snazzy.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Why dont you get a used 99/00 Impreza RS?
You get more car for your money.
It's awd, more power, better looks.
Interior isnt as nice though.

It will also depreciate less since it isnt a new car.
Old Nov 27, 2001, 04:45 AM

my girl just bought one it is suprisingly a strong little runner for what it has handels ok not the greatest but it holds it own. i am really happy with ours it does kidda look like the evo put a kit on it and you a one great looking car then you just have to work on the power issue. great car.

lancer34
Old Nov 28, 2001, 03:10 AM

I agree with RA29 - get an Impreza RS. I picked up mine used for 14k. It's got quite a bit of power for such a small motor. I'm used to V-8 Chevy's and Mustangs, and I was very suprised at how much power, and torque the car has. And it handles better than anything I've ever driven. I started racing Autocross with it, and was able to hold my own in STS.

Don't get a lancer unless it's an EVO.
Old Dec 4, 2001, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I dont think you or any of the car magazines understand Mitsubishi's intent with the OZ. It looks like the fast one, the EVO VII. I am in college and I needed a new car. I didnt have alot of money to spend either. The OZ was right in my price range. There have been many times that I wished I could get a car and it turned out to be too much money, and I sat and thought what if it had a smaller engine as an option, maybe then I could afford it. The OZ presented this option. I had 17 grand to spend. I wanted a new car. I didnt compare it with the WRX which everyone does, I compared it with other 17,000 dollar cars. In my mind the only car that was better visually was the Mazfda Protege MP3. Those are a rare find though. So now I have a car that looks close to an EVO that I can afford. Yes it is very slow. Yes the stock tires suck. But when I gain more money after college is over, maybe I can address those problems, or just buy an EVO. I am getting tired of high school kids trying to race me though....lol. Just my random thought on the issue.
Old Dec 4, 2001, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Welcome to the forums. I have to agree with you about the tires, they really do suck, but those switch when you switch to bigger wheels The power issue though, I dont know what other cars in the price range you tested and if you went with stick or auto, but considering its a 2.0L 120hp engine, it out performs a lot of other cars in that price range (protoge, civic, cavalier, sunfire, sentra, elantra) The only thing that could really beat it is the Tiburon, but I hate Hyundai's so I dont mind. Overall I am still very happy with my OZ
Old Dec 4, 2001, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

with that money, u should get a MR2 turbo
Old Dec 4, 2001, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

if it has to be new

nissan sentra se-r spec v
ford focus svt
honda civic
mazda protege 5 or mp3
subaru impreza ts wagon...prolly could get a new rs for $18k

get the base lancer same engine..cheaper and lighter, then add a evo 7 bodykit and nice wheels
Old Dec 4, 2001, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

<<if it has to be new

ford focus svt
honda civic
mazda protege 5 or mp3
subaru impreza ts wagon...prolly could get a new rs for $18k

get the base lancer same engine..cheaper and lighter, then add a evo 7 bodykit and nice wheels>>

The only car you list for under 18 is the protege and the civic. First of all, the MP3 is hard to find and the MP5...well its a wagon,lol. And the civic, well I mean eveyrone has a friggin civic, I wanted to be somewhat different. And about the base Lancer, I dont have the time to install a body kit, nor the money it could cost to do it right, sometimes 2 - 3 grand. Im more than happy with my alomost EVO look-alike.
Old Dec 4, 2001, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

base price $16,000

focus svt
supposed to be under 18
Old Dec 4, 2001, 11:44 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the new civic si. It should be pretty fast for the price.
Old Dec 4, 2001, 11:45 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the new civic si. It should be pretty fast for the price. Or new svt focus? Personally i'd get a used f-body. Should be cheap right?
Old Dec 4, 2001, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

I dont know where you heard those prices, a Sentra SE starts at 18,000. I think the Focus is ugly too. Oh well, just my thoughts. Ill continue to be happy with the OZ.
Old Dec 5, 2001, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

b tapper, dont know where you are checking you can't get a Spec V for less than 18,000. Look http://www.nissandriven.com/vehicles...r/0,9442,21551|21692|1|,00.html

The Focus is ugly, and the Si is ugly and its still a civic and isnt even available yet.

Quick Reply: Is the U.S. OZ rally Lancer worth the money?