Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Help me use my car for a petty ego war (VW vs Mit)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me use my car for a petty ego war (VW vs Mit)

Please don't comment on how stupid and childish this is, I already know. Here's the run down: A guy I work with who got promoted above me even though he doesn't know crap in our field just got a Passat GLS, 170hp I don't remember the displacement. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has raced one of these cars stock and if our Lancers are faster (stock). VW's are famous for being heavy, and he drives an automatic and I drive a manual. This is all out of general curiosity and the need to be degrading and vindicive to jackasses. Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

VW
23.24 Pounds per Horsepower ratio <--- chunky edition

18.82 Pounds per Horsepower ratio

Lancer
22.91 Pounds per Horsepower ratio <--- chunky edition

22.08 Pounds per Horsepower ratio

Ralli///Art

16.67 Pounds per Horsepower ratio <--- chunky edition

16.06 Pounds per Horsepower ratio

If he bought the fully loaded VW, you have a better power to weight ratio.

Theoretically, your car should be quicker if you have the lightest version of Lancer and he has the heaviest version VW. (stock to stock) Thats just the quick and neutral answer. Alot of other variables are out there, like gear ratio, driver skill level, etc...

Knowing he spent approximately another 8 grand (maybe more) is priceless...

If you still have doubts (and/or he is flipping you crap), ask him to meet you at the track. It costs $50 at the most. Safe and equal environment. keep it off the streets.

Rob

Info from car and driver:

Mitsu Lancer ES/LS/OZ

Mitsubishi Lancer ES
All-new for 2002, the Mitsubishi Lancer gets a major makeover for 2004, as well as a new, more powerful version—the Ralliart. The entire lineup receives a redesigned front end with a new bumper, grille, and halogen headlamps; the rear gets a redesigned bumper with the license plate relocated to the upper decklid. The new Ralliart, named after Mitsubishi’s motorsports arm, boasts the following: a 162-hp, 2.4-liter four-cylinder with variable valve timing; shift linkage borrowed from the Lancer Evolution; four-wheel disc brakes with ABS; bucket seats from the Japanese-market Lancer Evo GT-A; a sport-tuned suspension; and 16-inch wheels. The base ES, midlevel LS, and O-Z Racing edition continue with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder that pumps out 120 horsepower. A five-speed manual transmission is standard on all models, and a four-speed automatic is optional.

Base price: $14,172
Vehicle type: front-engine, front-drive; 4-door 5-passenger sedan
Interior volume, F/R/cargo (cu ft) 52/41/11
Wheelbase 102.4 in
Length/width/height 181.3/66.8/54.9 in
Turning circle 33.5 ft
Curb weight 2650–2750 lb
EPA city/hwy mpg 24-26/30–33
Fuel-tank capacity/range 13.2 gal/317–343 mi
Passive restraints driver and passenger front and side (opt) airbags

POWERTRAIN
2.0-liter DOHC 16-valve inline-4, 120 hp, 130 lb-ft; 5-sp man, 4-sp auto

SUSPENSION
F ind, struts, coil springs, anti-roll bar
R ind, multilink, coil springs, anti-roll bar

BRAKES
F/R vented disc/drum or disc
ABS optional

Volkswagen Passat GLS Sedan
In 2002, the W-8 model joined the ranks of the Passat, sporting a unique new eight-cylinder engine with two narrow (15-degree) V-4 cylinder banks huddled together under two cylinder heads. Before the Phaeton arrived, the W-8 was the most powerful VW ever sold in the U.S., and at almost $40,000, the most costly. Two transmissions are offered with the W-8 — a five-speed automatic with manumatic capability or a six-speed manual — and VW’s 4MOTION all-wheel-drive system is standard. Passat changes for 2004 include new standard wheels on all models and Monsoon audio and Homelink as standard on the GLS. A telematics system is now optional on the GL and GLS but is standard on the GLX and W-8. A new 2.0-liter TDI engine comes later in the year, making 134 hp and 247 lb-ft of torque. Passats offer a great European sports-sedan feel at a reasonable price.

Base price: $22,355
Vehicle type: front-engine, front-drive; 4-door 5-passenger sedan
Interior volume, F/R/cargo (cu ft) 53/42/15
Wheelbase 106.4 in
Length/width/height 185.2/68.7/57.5-57.6 in
Turning circle 37.4-37.7 ft
Curb weight 3200–3950 lb
EPA city/hwy mpg 17-22/24–31
Fuel-tank capacity/range 16.4–21.1 gal/359–361 mi
Passive restraints driver and passenger front, side, and curtain airbags; rear curtain airbags

POWERTRAIN
turbocharged and intercooled 1.8-liter DOHC 20-valve inline-4, 170 hp, 166 lb-ft; 5-sp man

SUSPENSION
F ind, multilink, coil springs, anti-roll bar
R ind, trailing arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar

BRAKES
F/R vented disc/disc
ABS standard
Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

well id say he probably has u stock, im not sure how much torque or how much it weighs that could make a diff. Plus with his being a AT, im to lazy to look up the numbers to his car. But i think if u modded ur car, i think u could take him pretty easily...just me tho.