Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTS_rider
when searching for a highway or route you should start with letters and then number.. example... for route 46 here in jersey,,, you search for "US46".... it took me a few minutes to figure it out when I first tried the nav...

edit: one way to find out the format on wich the nav lists an route name is by remembering to check current location on the nav when you are on that route... then it shows you how it looks at it...

Thanks, I'll give that a try, though I feel like I already tried that.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 09:01 PM

hey i was wondering if there is something that you can install that will allow you to watch dvds with out it being in park. and how would you play them in a manual transmission considering there is no park gear?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

The nav is definitely worth it because of the extras it comes with. Works really well, but could use an updated map (at least for my area). I also posted a while back about defeating the DVD lock out once the car is moving but have not heard or seen any progress with that.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

You have find the wire that goes to the parking brake(manuals) or park gear (autos). Then you either have to ground it directly to metal or instal a ground relay.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

It doesnt have anything to do with park. In the CVT atleast. I can watch it whenever im not moving over a certain speed but it can be in D. It just gives me picture back whenever i come to a stop at a redlight or whatever. So anyone know a work around yet for the CVT?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

on cloning and dvd

DVD is not defeatable just yet. some guys on another forum with the SUV that has the same HU have it almost figured out... but it is not easy. It's not just a ground, the HU uses differential sensing in GPS position for one, as well as a signal from the onboard computer to signal turn off. A couple of resistors may be the answer, but it will not be simple.

a bit for bit cloning, no matter the OS, will transfer the data... but the unit may not even recognize different/larger drives, bear that in mind.

I doubt the file system is too proprietary. It's probably some linux derivitive. The MP3s however are a proprietary format so even if you got far enough to browsing the drive you would need software to rip/convert your audio properly for loading.

And FYI, several posts have indicated that the system will rip from DVD audio discs, which means you will special software such as "Audio DVD Creator", "Apollo Audio DVD Creator", or "Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 Suite" to create an audio DVD.

I wish to try this soon, single CD ripping is tedious as hell. I still wish it had a USB port to connected flash drives too, kind of a stupid design oversight if you ask me.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

BTW, our nav system is already setup for a rear camera apparently. Not sure about the wiring, but it's near the top of my list of projects once I have cash in hand (just bought a house, owie).
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Thats why I said a ground relay. On my Pioneer I had to install a switch that I turned on, then off, then back on. It was like magic.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by slisir
For those who had questions about the NAV unit, and modifying it, I wanted to do the same thing.

The NAV HDD is right behind the screen, when you have the screen down, it actually is right there marked. You can pop out the plastic cover without breaking anything with a standard screwdriver. The hard drive itself is held in by 2 small hex screws. All you need is a hex set, which I had, you can get them almost anywhere, and then it slides out.

It is a Toshiba 30gb 4800rpm ATA Notebook hard drive. What I wanted to do, was replace the drive with a 60gb 7200rpm Notebook drive that I have, for more space and much faster load time.

So mystick, you were right, you can't just simply ghost the drive. Any computer will detect the drive as being there, but you can't actually see anything on the drive. This is because it has no partition table data and no MBR. So the computer doesn't know how to read the drive and what file system it is.

I use Acronis at work for doing hard drive imaging and cloning. Acronis doesn't even recognize the drive correctly when you try to make a backup image. It does see it correctly when you try to clone it. The problem is it errors out during the process when you try to clone the drive. Which you can continue even after it errors out, but when you stick in the new drive in the NAV, it says it tries to repair the drive, reboots and loops that over and over.

My guesses are two reasons it errors out. Either, it uses encryption or a special file system, that writes the data raw, so when the Ghost or Clone software copies over it doesn't know what to do after the data is just freespace. OR they purposely put bad sectors at certain spots on the drive, like DVD or Copyrighted CDs, making it so you can't just copy it over.

The NAV unit uses Gracenote, which makes the software for the music part of the unit, looks like they may have more then just the music part too, since there red background is all over the unit on all menus. I tried joining as a Non-commercial developer to see if I could find more info on a filesystem or encryption method, but so far doesn't look like they include that in the non-commercial part. That or another company handled the filesystem/encryption part.

So is there anyone out there that knows more about Data Recovery, Filesystem or Write Methods?

Sure someone that knows more then me can help us.

On a side note, I also tried using Unix, and just about every partition software I could get my hands on just to see if I could get more info on the drive. Only one that read it the most was Acronis.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have successfully unlocked the HDD on the navigation system. I've posted a writeup on another forum here.

In short, the HDD is locked per ATA SECURITY specifications just like the XBOX (xbox unlocking tools will actually work with it). The unlock password is "b2bab3bcb0dfacbeb1bbbedfb1add2cdc9ceaab2dfb19e899 6dfaa8c9a8ddfdf" (which in ascii means "MELCO SANDA NR-261UM Navi User ".

I've cloned my drive and have been able to read the data off the HDD, but I haven't yet tried upgrading the drive to a larger size. AFAIK i'm the only one who has even tried unlocking it so far, so if anybody wants to try it please post your progress for me! Also let me know if upgrading to a larger size works for the music server. If you have any questions, let me know. Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rabidhamster
can someone check their nav system and see if it has canada in it??? was just thinking I might be inclinded to send down the heated seats and mirrors bits .. for a nav sys trade.. LOL

thou it would be kinda pointless if it doesn't even have canada in it
What??? The US version doesnt get heated front seats? Living in AB I definitely wouldnt trade my heated seats in for a nav system, which you can always get through the aftermarket route anyway
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:41 AM

Congrat Brian360! You are the MAN. I will try to see if I can put a larger HD and let you guys know.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by mystick
Congrat Brian360! You are the MAN. I will try to see if I can put a larger HD and let you guys know.
Have you already filled up your Music Server to the point where it won't rip any more CDs? If so, then if you can test this, we'll know for sure if the MMCS will even accept larger hard drives or if it has some hard-coded limits of some sort.

The tool I used to unlock the hard drive was the same tool used for unlocking XBOX hard drives -- xboxhdm

Follow the instructions included with that tool to create a bootable CD-ROM. Then use a 44-pin 2.5" IDE to 40-pin 3.5" IDE adapter to connect the MMCS HD to your PC (as the primary master with no other drives but your CDROM drive connected) and boot from the CD. At the menu, choose option "3" to boot to Linux with unlocking tools (Do **NOT** use the other options to automatically unlock/mod your hard drive -- it will wipe your data and put an xbox partition on it!! This is NOT really an Xbox drive, we're just using it as a quick and easy way to remove the ATA Password).

Here's where my memory gets fuzzy, so if you need more help just let me know and I'll run through the steps on my computer again. I think you simply use the "unlockhd" command as it tells you to do. However you don't use an xbox EEPROM file, you just supply the password directly on the command line.

It'll tell you if the unlock was successful, at which point you can simply shut down the PC and the hard drive will remain unlocked. Then you can use whatever utilities you're familiar with to clone the Hard Drive to make a backup before you start messing with it. I booted knoppix and used 'dd' -- if you're familar with Windows just use whatever disk imaging/cloning software is out there.

The partition you want to resize is the last partition on the disk (the partition with the folder "AVUNIT" in it). You're on your own here -- partition magic would probably do the job though.

Once you're finished, just put the drive back in the MMCS -- there is no need to relock it (I think the MMCS will do that for you).

Let me know how it goes -- and remember standard disclaimer: Do this at your own risk -- You may violate the warranty and cause your car to explode if you screw up
Old Nov 30, 2007, 02:15 PM

I am new at this forum thing so if am doing anything incorrectly sorry!

I am from Toronto, have the GTS and I want to buy the navi unit but the dealer said the car needs to be programmed before it could be install, is that true? If so does anybody know how to program the car?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 02:24 PM

Supposedly, the ETACS ECU needs to have option coding values set to let it know the Navigation unit is installed. What the ECU does with this info, however, I haven't a clue (probably something as stupid as knowing when you change languages on the MMCS to update the language in the dash). Regardless, programming the ECU shouldn't take more than 15-30 minutes of the dealer's time -- they just hook up the scan tool and reprogram a few option coding values.

As for whether its necessary, I have my doubts -- Someone on a different forum bought an MMCS (off eBay I think) for their 07 outlander and it worked perfectly with no changes.

My suggestion: Buy the navi & necessary kits to install it yourself (or pay someone competent to do it). As far as I know the kits come with instructions to give the dealer to program it (if not I can send them to you). But I think you'll find it works just fine w/o taking it in.

If anybody knows for sure differently, please let us know
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:09 PM

I have the navi option and it's features besides the actual navi is great (touchscreen menus for everything like stereo and sirius). The maps on the navi are really outdated. I was out of town in Ohio this summer when I first got the car and got a craving for Taco Bell and it took me to where one was supposed to be but there was not one there. I found the next nearby Taco Bell location on the list and drove all the way to that one only to find there was not one there anymore either! This really pissed me off but I still did not give up. The 3rd location actually existed and I got to finally eat after an hour of driving. Ridiculous. That is just one example. There are all kinds of roads nearby my house that have been there for years that aren't even on the map. It really needs some updating. I hope this will be possible if it isn't now then hopefully soon. It's also very hard to type in an address to where you want to go because it's so specific. The only thing I like about actually using the system is it's large 7" screen. I have used TomTom navigation before and prefer it to this. The mitsu has no live traffic or construction either. Better than nothing I guess.

Quick Reply: Navigation System