Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Cabin Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin Rear View Mirror

So, I'm lazy.... here is my question.

On my ZX2 I had a Gentech Autodim rearview mirror with an integrated compass. My eyes have issues with light at night so it helped me ALOT. With a standard rearview mirror, i can't see on the night setting, and if i leave it on day I get night blindness.

The mirror in the zx2 attached in a "standard" way..... with a little metal 'wedge' glued to the windshield that a base popped over. I can't tell on the mitsu, but is it the same setup in the 2008 lancer? If not how does it work. How does it pop off the front glass? Also, pics might be helpfull if mitsu has its own standard attachment... or links......

Thanks in advance for any help Simon

sxk122 on AIM
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I keep waiting for the 2008s to come up on AllData, but still nothing yet. And I haven't found any dealerships selling the Factory Service Manual. So hopefully a employee will check and chime in?

Have you asked your dealer? If you explained your issue, I'm sure they'd have a tech answer your question.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:57 PM

i could probably ask them; didn't think to... i'm so used to resorting to "the car forum" first, lol. Just by looking at the base I Think it has an area to pop it off....
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by sxk122
i could probably ask them; didn't think to... i'm so used to resorting to "the car forum" first, lol. Just by looking at the base I Think it has an area to pop it off....
I have the same problem. I find myself doing the same things I yell at other people for.

Good luck figuring it out!
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:03 PM

Well, I'm gonna have to wait till i have to drive out there... i tried to call and no one could help me over the phone.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:35 PM

Lightbulb

There's a little tab on the bottom of the Base. lift the tab and the mirror slides up and off... actually was quick and easy. under is the little wedge that your looking for.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:39 PM

is it a standard wedge? like in a ford? how do you life the tab... i see a slot in the base of the mirror; can you elaborate, thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:41 AM

Well, I asked the dealer I had bought the mirror for my ford from; finally the answer I was needing. Ther mitsu doesn't have the wedge, rather something called a camlock.

"Simon, Youre going to need a camlock to wedge mount adaptor. A Foreign Vehicle mount slips over the camlock mount, Go to a local Subaru Dealer and get part number H501SSA040 theyre about 8-12$$"
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by sxk122
"Simon, Youre going to need a camlock to wedge mount adaptor. A Foreign Vehicle mount slips over the camlock mount, Go to a local Subaru Dealer and get part number H501SSA040 theyre about 8-12$$"
Sweet. A nice, cheap solution.

I guess Subaru dealerships are good for something after all.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:53 PM

hehe. yeah. plus, this ebay seller has options for the display color, so i can get red to match the dash....

The guy has great feedback, and has answered my non-item related questions very quickly!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180158238478
Old Feb 3, 2008, 04:20 PM

update--

I bought a used Gentex wedge mount mirror on ebay. I pulled the mirror in my Lancer, only to notice its actually a wedge mount, not a camlock.

So, any of the ebay gm/ford used autodim/ compass mirrors will work.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 09:16 PM

Hi, I'm trying to install a gentex auto dimming as well. I've found a suitable ground position but have a hard time finding:

1- Constant +12V
2- Ignition controlled +12V

I need these points preferably in the footwell areas RH or LH does not matter.

Could anyone please help me with this?

Thank you very much.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

wire it to an accessory from the fuse box. got my valentine one hooked it up that way and it works perfect. turns on when you start the car and shuts off when you open the door. forgot what i wired it to but just look at the fuse cover and find something that only turns on when on accessory like the radio or something. then just spice into the wire on the back. good luck and please post a pic when your done.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteGTS18
wire it to an accessory from the fuse box. got my valentine one hooked it up that way and it works perfect. turns on when you start the car and shuts off when you open the door. forgot what i wired it to but just look at the fuse cover and find something that only turns on when on accessory like the radio or something. then just spice into the wire on the back. good luck and please post a pic when your done.
Sounds like a good game plan, I'll try to do the install during the long weekend and post pictures.

Thank you.