Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Recessed fog lights in an '03 ES?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recessed fog lights in an '03 ES?

Hey there, I am thinking about pulling my Hella Optilux 2500 Angel Eyes off of my defunct '95 Bonneville and mounting them recessed behind my Lancer ES's lower middle grill. This guy has the effect I'm looking for, but different placement, and I have no idea how I would go about mounting mine: (Note that this is NOT my car)

Here's the thread that this picture's in: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/2483547-post19.html and here's a link to info on the lights I have: http://www.hella.com/produktion/Opti...Model_2500.jsp

I'm attaching pics of my Bonneville when I first installed the lights before I aligned them to give an idea of the power of the angel eyes vs. the main lights (55 watt Silver Stars). I am planning on relaying them directly to the battery with their own fuse, using a three-way switch, and drawing switching power from a parking light. In the end I want them to be able to be switched off, halos on, full beam, and shut off when I turn off my regular lights.

I think I have the electrical part figured out.... any ideas on how I would mount these behind my grill?
Attached Thumbnails Recessed fog lights in an '03 ES?-lights-off.jpg   Recessed fog lights in an '03 ES?-lights-.jpg  

Last edited by asplodzor; May 7, 2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old May 6, 2009, 03:36 PM

This is exactly what I want to do with my fogs! (This is the guy that owns that Lancer.)

Anyone have any ideas or experience mounting anything behind the bottom grill like that?
Attached Thumbnails Recessed fog lights in an '03 ES?-recessed-fogs.jpg   Recessed fog lights in an '03 ES?-fogs2.jpg   Recessed fog lights in an '03 ES?-fogs3.jpg  
Old May 6, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you found my car... I loved them like that b/c during the day you couldn't tell they were there unless I turned them on.

Last edited by ThunderOZ; May 6, 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old May 6, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Old May 6, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

They were mounted to where the rollers are behind the bumper. I honestly just used zip ties on them and they were fine for four years until I took them off.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:25 AM

Haha, figures you'd be a member here! And to think I was gonna create an account over at Car Domain just to PM you about your install...

Thanks for the extra pics. I'm curious - what type of lights did you use? The way the mount works for my lights, if I were to zip tie them directly to the metal behind the grill, they’d sit so low that about an inch of the beam would be blocked by the bottom of the opening.

Also, any tips on removing the stock bumper to get at that area? I haven’t tried it yet and don’t wanna break anything.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

I don't remember, just some walmart ones to be honest but they worked out great.

Are you able to adjust the angle of the lights?

Just get out and look at the bumper, it's pretty easy to take off. There is a screw going up into the fender on both sides, then like two tabs for the wheel plastic stuff on each side. After that, pop the hood and use a 10mm socket or wrench on the center part of the bumper(under the grill).
Old May 7, 2009, 11:37 AM

I should be able to adjust the angle up or down, but how would that help if they’re mounted from the bottom? Seems like if I angled them down, they’d just be blocked more, and if I angled them up, they’d blind oncoming drivers. (Unless I’m misunderstanding and you mounted them hanging from above the opening, not attached to the bottom of the opening…)

I’ve got two readily available mounting options; the brackets that came with the lights (you can kinda see them in the attached pic) or the brackets that I pulled off my Bonneville which are similar, but will let the lights sit up a little taller. I’ll post better pics of the options later tonight when I’m home.

[Edit] Waiiit... I think that I need to go back and look at those mounts again. The picture makes them look way more vertically adjustable than I remember them being. I might have solved [one of] my own problem[s]. Haha.
Attached Images  

Last edited by asplodzor; May 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: I has teh dumb
Old May 7, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like these?

Cant even see them when there off
Old May 7, 2009, 12:07 PM

Yup, same idea. Nice upper grill, by the way.

How'd you mount yours? I'm thinking the zip tie route is my best bet at the moment.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

I mean drilling probably would be preferred. I was just nervous about it b/c of the airbags and didn't want to put holes in the car...
Old May 7, 2009, 01:04 PM

That's what I'm nervous about too. I don't even know what the airbag sensors look like... are they the two horizontal cylinders below the bottom grill, and the one vertical cylinder to the driver's side of the radiator? Again, I'll post pictures of wtf I'm talking about tonight. Haha.

Last edited by asplodzor; May 7, 2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I have taken apart the entire front end , replaced the radiator support and there is no Air bag sensor . The air bag sensor is probably in the dash and is a velocity meter .
what i did was drill holes in the oem plastic grill and mounted the fog lights in there .Ran the wires to the parking lights from there so that they would not be left on and installed a switch inside that looks pretty oem

Old pic before i took the support off, there is no sensor .
Old May 7, 2009, 01:43 PM

Ok, that’s a much better picture than I would have been able to come up with.

I circled the three things I thought might have been airbag sensors… Do you have any idea what they actually are?

Attached Thumbnails Recessed fog lights in an '03 ES?-what-these.jpg  

Last edited by asplodzor; May 7, 2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Bottom 2 are just bump guards like when you hit a parking blocks so it will no damage the car with a slight bump , they come off with a 12 or 14 mm bolt . They are usless , i removed mine since they are like 15-20lbs each .

Top cylinder looking thing is a ac condenser , you dont want to punch a hole in that or you will not have ac any longer lol . But you can clearly see when you are there that it is not attached to the car it is only attached to the radiator area .