Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

How to install Injen CAI 2008 Lancer GTS CVT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install Injen CAI 2008 Lancer GTS CVT

I am currently in Iraq fighting in the war against terrorism. I have a 2008 Lancer GTS and i bought a few things for it and they are waiting for me back home in the states. the one thing i have been hearing mixed reviews on the difficulty on installing the Injen CAI. can anyone write up a How-To with this so I will be able to install this as quick as possible when i return home.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:45 AM

Hey man, I think I can help you out. I recently installed the Injen CAI myself and it was my first mod so I had similar concerns. Granted, I do have a degree in engineering but have never really worked on my car or any other car before, so consider me a NOOB. All in all, it is pretty simple and should not take more than 2 to 3 hours, MAX. Your intake should come with a set of instructions, including pictures for each step. They are self explanatory and also tell you the correct size tool for each step. Unfortunately, the first step says "Remove the front bumper" and that's it. It doesn't tell you where all the bolts are or how to take the bumper off --- and trust me, this is the hardest and most time consuming part of the install. After you get it off, installing the intake takes 5 minutes. You need to take off the front bumper because the filter for the intake sits down front in between the bumper and the driver side wheel well.

The Front Bumper: There are a series of screws underneath (you dont need a lift, just stick your head under) I think 4 of them or so... and also one screw in each wheel well. The rest of the bolts are variations of plastic snaps-ins. It took me a few tries to figure out the best way to take these out, I damaged a few of them and couldn't get them back in but thats not a big deal as long as you have a majority of them attached. To take these out, life the middle part with a flathead screwdriver and then they should pull out fairly easily. ** I recommend storing each variation in it's own cup or something and also making a note of where they came from. I thought I could wing it and when it came time to put them back in, I was playing the guessing game.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...r-removal.html

^There's more in-depth details on how to remove the bumper. **One thing it doesn't mention are the two screws you need to remove in the front middle of the bumper. In this how-to, the guy had a front license plate, but in models without that, those screws are located behind two removable inserts on the bottom mesh grill.

Afer you get the nose off, the intake install is straight forward. BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! Don't want to drop a wrench and fry yourself. Take out the old airbox and scoop as directed. From there, you just attach the rigid tube to the throttle housing and work your way to the silicon tube down to the filter as the directions detail. Simple!

Having a second set of hands to help unscrew/take off the bumper will definitely help. It took me and a buddy about 2 hours to get 'er done.

I hope this helps, if for some reason Injen doesn't send you the instructions, I can gladly send you mine. Feel free to email (bjl309@gmail.com) or PM me for more help. This really isn't a hard install even for those with no mechanical knowledge and limited tools.

Thanks for your service!
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:30 AM

hey thanks for your info i cant wait to get home and start on it. i will be home for leave in like 2 weeks. but i have read people going in behind the wheel well without taking the bumper off. but you have to jack the car up and take off the drivers side wheel. just wondering if you think that will be easier or if you had tried that. but when i get home i will be able to actually do it but it is good to know that the intake itself is easy, but the bumper is a pain in the A$$.

thanks again
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for your service!!!!!

Well i have mine but i have installed the projectors from the evo X and i dont have space for the rubber pipe going down, pls man if you have pics of how the black pipe goes dowm to see if i can modify mine ( Cutting a little metal piece ).

Thanks!!!!!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:17 PM

well i should be home in about 4 or 5 days so as soon as i get home i am going to be taking all kinds of pictures of step by step and the outcome and all. i will also be taking videos of each thing i do to the car to see whatkind of power gain and sound i get out of it. i am putting on an injen axle back exhaust, RRM Piggy back ECU, RRM timing control box and a RRM aluminum crank pully. so hopefully the outcome is what i am looking for. so be on the look out and also if you want the links and all to the videos once i get them up just email me at.... thenuzz@hotmail.com ....make sure you put the subject to do with something about lancer gts so i dont think it is spam. but give me about a week or so to get it all done because i am sitll in iraq waiting on a flight home.