Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

DRL w/out HIDs, or Xenon

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DRL w/out HIDs, or Xenon

i have a 2008 lancer es basic blubs for the head lights i want to try and some how make it so that there isnt any DRLs or i can like wire them to a switch or something, ive found a fuse that pretty much controls all head light function and saw on a few other sites that if you cut off one of the prongs for the fuse the DRLs wont turn on. But that was for an Eclipse and i have a lancer so i dont know if that will work or not.
can anyone give a guy some advice?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i am also looking for answer to this question but is the prong your talking about inside a red box and is it a prong?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just get a relay harness? easiest way to disable drl
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Relay + Canbus Fix is the only way to do it. Having your HIDs go on and off kills your bulb life. Do the Relay and Canbus Fix, your HID's are on 100% of the time. The way it should be. Its just safer
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Relay + Canbus Fix is the only way to do it. Having your HIDs go on and off kills your bulb life. Do the Relay and Canbus Fix, your HID's are on 100% of the time. The way it should be. Its just safer
There is a Plug & Play solution that doesn't require you to have your lights on 24/7.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jRox
There is a Plug & Play solution that doesn't require you to have your lights on 24/7.
I am aware you have a module for sale and that is one way to go about doing it. I am only speaking from personal experience and my understanding of HID technology. HID bulbs differ from traditional halogen greatly. Running a high quality HID kit (voltage stable) for 24/7 situations does not really harm the HID bulb as much as someone toggling a kit on and off which does harm an HID kit.

My only concern is when people disregard proper steps to ensure their kit is running safely and efficiently.

A relay is always recommend in any setup. This will make startups alot easier on your HID ballast / kit. An Antiflicker / Canbus Fix is required to fix the DRL flickering.
There are fixes that exist that either will allow you to control tuning on and off the bulb (while eliminating the DRL), then there are fixes that run the bulb 100% on all the time.

The reason why I prefer the second option where it is on all the time is ....

1) In some states and provinces it is a legal requirement to have DRL's on your car. If your bulb is off, that = a ticket.
2) In most cases it results in longer HID life because you are not able to toggle the bulbs on or off. HID bulbs are most stressed at ignition.

Not to take anything away from the other setup.

1) it is the tuners preference to have the ability to delete or turn off the HID kit, sometimes they run with halo eye setups and want to showcase them. This is one reason why you want the ability to deactivate your HID.

I perfer there to be many options open to a HID buyer because then people can customize their own application for their own needs. There is no such that as just one way of doing things. Every one and every situation is different.

Innovation and good ideas are what make the Mitsubishi community complete and we need more of that.