Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

What should my keyless key / FOB look like?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should my keyless key / FOB look like?

New owner here - 2008 ES.

I just bought this car used, and it only came with one, plain key. The car has the little buttons on the Dr, and pass door handles, as well as a button for/on the trunk. Also, I found in the glovebox the plastic knob that fits over the ignition switch in some scenario - which I'm unclear about.

Anyway, does this mean that this car has the fastkey system?

I need to get another key (should I lose this one, or lock myself out, etc), but I would like to get a keyless solution if I'm buying. Which of these should it look like? (See attached images)

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
The top one.

The plastic cover goes over the ignition key hole. You would (once you have a functioning FAST key) just have to turn the ignition (without inserting key).

I would expect you have to have the dealership program your FAST key fob. Bring $$$
The following users liked this post:
92Pony (Aug 31, 2017)
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
The top one.

The plastic cover goes over the ignition key hole. You would (once you have a functioning FAST key) just have to turn the ignition (without inserting key).

I would expect you have to have the dealership program your FAST key fob. Bring $$$
Thank you Veronica! So, it would function the same way a lot of new cars do today with the push-button start (only a turn of the plastic knob instead of a push of the button).

Yeah, anytime the dealer$hip is involved....... Ouch. I'll maybe ask the local locksmith too. They were able to reprogram a fob for my wife's Traverse that we bought used - it was missing a fob. (fingers crossed) What do people do with keys and fobs when they sell or trade a car anyway?!?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Not like a start/stop - more like "i left the key in the ignition" system
i.e. no press brake to start

If you can get someone other than the dealer to program a single 'mote - please let us know!
If you have one and want another duplicate - you have a chance at programming...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:28 PM

Sorry that I never came back to this thread (or is it "better late than never"?).

I did end up going to a local locksmith. Being as that it's been over a year ago, I've forgotten what they charged, but they were able to order a FOB, cut the key inside and program the FOB for significantly less than the stealership. The locksmith was in the $200-250 range all total.

I could have gotten a FOB online for a little cheaper, but the locksmith wouldn't guarantee that they could program it. If I bought the FOB through them and they weren't able to get it programmed, then I wouldn't have been out any $$. So I opted to go with them for everything. Worked out great.