Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How-To Install Redline Auto Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How-To Install Redline Auto Shift Knob

I wasn't sure where to post this (which how-to section), so I figured more base Lancers will have autos than RAs. I got this shift knob and it turned out to be too short to fit right on the stem. So here's a how-to install the Redline Auto Shift Knob for those that have or are getting one.

Get a drill bit a little larger than that plastic cap thing that goes over the rod that gets pushed down on the shift stem. The knob is hollow after about a quarter inch. So try to get the drill directly in the middle and drill it out.

Once you get through (its some kind of plastic and easy to drill through) the inside has this screw thing going from the front to the back of the knob. This is what the rod button thing on the shifter stem will press against (this is why the hole has to be big enough for the plastic thing, cause it helps grip the screw thing so it doesnt slide off) if you can see that copper color inside the hole is the screw).

So after the hole is drilled, put the base cap thing at the bottom of the shift stem, then put the black plastic tube thing that fits onto the shift stem with the piece that tightens on it. Then take the spring out of the knob so you can get the placement right. sit the knob onto the stem (with the car in park) and get it in the right place so that the rod button thing pushes into the screw inside the knob. This is how low the knob will need to sit.

With the knob in place, slide the metal piece that tightens onto the stem up into the knob so that the bottom of the knob is even with the bottom of that metal piece and hold the metal piece there. then with your other hand take the knob off and tighten down the metal piece. now thats in place and you can put the spring back into the knob and put the knob back on and bring the base cap thing up and screw it on.

Now you're done.

I got the hole off center and it slipped and i lost the plastic piece inside the knob. So now i have to push real hard to put it back in park but I'm happy with the looks anyways. Now I'm sure that might have been a little confusing and I know this won't get much attention cause I don't think it's a popular knob, but for those who get it, it should help a little. Plus the size difference is great too.

Attached Thumbnails How-To Install Redline Auto Shift Knob-shifter1.jpg   How-To Install Redline Auto Shift Knob-shifterhole1.jpg   How-To Install Redline Auto Shift Knob-shifterhole2.jpg   How-To Install Redline Auto Shift Knob-shifter4.jpg   How-To Install Redline Auto Shift Knob-shiftercomparison.jpg  

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; May 6, 2006 at 08:38 AM.
Old May 6, 2006, 08:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Discuss this thread here.