Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Megan Racing Seats & Brackets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:02 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow How To: Megan Racing Seats & Brackets

Hey everyone, this is a quick guide to installing racing seats in the Lancer. More specifially Megan racing seats. I did this on a saturday morning by myself. I would suggest having a friend give you a hand. Mostly for lifting the seats in and out your car, this way you can avoid scratching the paint (unlike me)

Megan Racing Seats: Click Here
Slowboy Racing / Wedge Engineering Seat Brackets: Click Here

Tools Needed:
Socket Wrench Set: 12mm, 13mm, 14mm & 17mm. Allen/Hex Key set: 7/32".
Hammer. Needle Nosed Pliers. Dremel and/or Drill

Time Needed: 2-4 Hours. Difficulty: 3/10

Better Layout version of write-up: Click Here

1. Check you have all your parts. You should have 2 sets of everything...provided you bought 2 seats

2. Place the bracket on the floor, topside facing up, and place the sliders onto the bracket to line up the holes

3. Make sure the sliders are facing the correct way, and right side up. The adjuster part should be towards the front, and you should be able to pull it up to adjust the sliders

4. Get an allen/hex key set. You will only need one size: 7/32"

5. Pull the sliders all the way forward, and line up the furthest rear slider holes with the bracket holes

6. Put in the screws and tighten until it is about flush with the bottom of the slider. DO NOT fully tighten the bolts. Just enough so that the sliders can move

Last edited by crypto; Apr 13, 2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:03 PM
Former Vendor

7. After doing the rear screws, adjust the sliders all the way back to get access to the front holes. Insert bolts and tighten as far as you can. Then adjust the sliders forward again and fully tighten the rear bolts/screws

8. Once everything is tightened you should have both sliders sitting on the bracket.

9. Flip the bracket/sliders over and find the gold locker nut thingys. And tighten them as much as you can.
Then flip back over and attach the slider adjuster bar. That is pretty straight forward and is on the instruction sheet supplied

10. Flip the seat over and rest it on something so you can have easy access to the underside. Located the 4 holes to attach the sliders

11. Lay the sliders/bracket on top of the seat, making sure the top side is facing down and bottom is up. Line up the holes and insert the front screws. DO NOT tighten all the way

12. Do the other side to.
DO NOT tighten all the way!!
Just enough so that you can adjust the sliders.

Last edited by crypto; Apr 13, 2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:05 PM
Former Vendor

13. Pull sliders all the way forward. Insert screws into the rear holes and tighten all the way

14. Pull slider back and tighten front screws. Then double check all the screws that they are fully tightened

15. Sliders should be sitting flush with the seat once tightened. If not, some minor adjustment may be needed.

16. Now the brackets/sliders are bolted to the racing seat. Time to remove the stocker.
Locate the front 2 bolts and remove. Also remove the seatbelt alert wire clip on the drivers seat. The passenger side doesn't have one

17. 3rd bolt is under this cover. Just get your finger around the side of it, circled in blue, and pull it off

18. ta da!

Don't remove this yet though. Leave till last

19. Remove center consolde by lifting up armrest and unscrewing the 2 screws sitting in the bottom. Pull it out and you will see this 4th and final bolt securing the stock seat. Unbolt that

20. Double check you unclipped the seat belt wire before you remove the seat

21. Now remove the third bolt

Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:08 PM
Former Vendor

22. Lift this handle to recline the seat all the way forward. Then lift the seat out and carefully remove it from the car. Be careful not to scratch your car when doing this

23. Now you have an empty space for the new seat and all 4 holes cleared. I would suggest giving the floor a clean/vacuum, cos you probably won't have a good opportunity to again. I was short on time so i didn't bother.

24. Now to remove the stock seat belt clip from your old seats. You will need to remove this cover to get access to the bolt holding the seat belt clip in place

25. The cover will pry off with a little force. It won't break so don't worry. You will then see the seatbelt clip bolt. It is a 17mm.

26. Remove the bolt to pull off clip

27. A little persuassion may be needed. It is on there pretty good

28. (driver seat only) flip the seat over and unclip the wire. There are 4 clips. Do them in this order. A, B, C, D
use a pair of needle nosed pliers

29. And there you have it. Save the stock bolt also, you will need it to attach this to the racing seats

30. Now to put your new seat in the car. On the megan seats there is a bar at the bottom to fully recline the seat forward. Just pull that and carefully place the seat into the car. Be careful as the seat will lean back as soon as you let go. So keep hold of it.

Last edited by crypto; Apr 14, 2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:09 PM
Former Vendor

31. Line up new bracket to the stock floor screws. More persuasion may be needed, i recomend a hammer. Once you can get the bolt started, you will be able to tighten it up fine, and the seat bracket will begin to slide into place better. Once the front 2 bolts are tightened, tighten up the 3rd bolt on the non-seat belt side. Also re-clip the seat belt alert wire on the drivers side.

32. This is where things get tricky. The brackets aren't perfect, and some "ajustment" is needed throughout the entire install, but non of it even close to serious. This however is annoying. The bracket overlaps the hold a little. So if you have a dremel, go ahead and get it. Then just grind out the bracket a little to open up access to the hole better

33. I did not have a Dremel..... So i improvised and used a drill. Once i got it opened up, and tightened up the bolt. However i did destroy the thread on the stock one, so a quick trip to Home-Depot and i got a new one.

34. Bolt up the stock Seat belt clip to the new seat bracket. Make sure this bolt is as tight as you can get it, remember what it was like stock. You want it as close to that as possible. Once that is done, bolt up the center console. And you are good to go.

35. Side by side of the stock and Megan Racing seats.
The Racing seats are taller, however they sit lower at the bottom, so you will be lower to the ground, and will need to re-adjust your steering wheel and mirrors to make up for this.

Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:10 PM
Former Vendor

And now you are all finished!!!! With 2 brand spanking new racing seats.
After driving a few days I can safely say these are a MASSIVE improvement over the stock seats. They are much more comfy, plus i feel a whole lot better cornering at speed now that i don't go flying accross the other side of my car. These seats keep my body in place well and make driving A LOT more fun.
The final verdict came from my wife who hates me messing with my car, when she said she loved them and was glad i installed them.

Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Discuss this thread here.