Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How to: Install OEM Evolution X RECARO seats

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to: Install OEM Evolution X RECARO seats

Welcome to another one of my how to's. Today I will be showing you how to install the Evolution X OEM Recaro seats. One way I save money is that I do alot of these installs myself, and try to make the best how to I can so you guys can do the same. With that being said lets get started.

The whole process took about an 1 1/2.

Tools needed:
Socket Wrench
10mm socket
14mm socket
17mm socket
Wire Cutters

First thing is to dissconnect the (-) side of the battery

Second thing is to take the 4 plastic covers on each side of the stock seats off. All you needd to do if pull them off.

Now I started with the passanger side, because 1st you have more room to work with, and 2ed just in case anything went wrong.

Third you need to take your 14mm socket and remove the 4 bolts. To remove the passanger right side rear you will need to take your 17mm socket and remove the seat belt.

Here is the seat belt bolt

Fourth, now you have to disconnect the airbag, and seat belt sensors under the stock seat. Now you will remove the stock seat. Just tilt it sideways an pull out. It is really light.

Fith, now you are at the biggest pain on installing these seats. Removing the seat belt clip on the stock seat and replacing it to the RECAROs. You will need to cut the white clip holding the sensor to the seat. The black sensor is the seat belt 1. You need to cut the wire ties that are holding the other wires together. Where the wire goes through the seat there is going to be a white piece of plastic. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out. It will break, but its okay, you do not need to use it on the RECAROs The black selt belt sensor is near the yellow plug

Sixth, take the 14mm socket and remove the seat belt clip from the stock seat to the RECARO. When putting it on the RECARO just run the wire in between the rail.

Seventh place the RECARO seat in the car, attach the sensors and bolt it back down. Remember you have to place all 4 bolts own then you can take your 17mm socket and put back the seat belt bracket.

Proceed to do the same excact thing on the drivers side, but there will be no seat belt bracket to take off, you will just need to run the wires for the seat belt clip. Reconnect the (-) side of the battery and you are done.

Note: Your airbag light will come on, you just need to take it to the dealer and have it reset

Thank you for reading this how to and have a good day
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

if you dont mind, how much are the OEM seats? or how much did you pay? i would really like to do this!!
Old Sep 4, 2008, 09:40 PM
Account Disabled

same question..how much did they run you?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 01:19 AM
Evolving Member

Isn't it like $1200 for each seat? Would be a Nice upgrade....And I'm sure your enjoying them....I love these seats and wish they came with the car.....Well Hopefully I get a ralliart then I can enjoy them too. Cheers bro
Old Oct 1, 2008, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
n ice write up good information
Old Oct 15, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I'm looking to install Evo IX SE seats.....Im assuming our sliders and rails won't work right?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerlover
I'm looking to install Evo IX SE seats.....Im assuming our sliders and rails won't work right?
They probably wont work and your airbag light will remain on. on the bottom of the passenger seat there is an occupant control module, once that is missing the entire passenger air bag system wont work (not just the seat airbag). removing the driver seat and putting one in without airbags will probably only affect the seat the drivers airbags SHOULD still deploy.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Would the seat removal process you explained work for the purposes of installing heated seats. Most recommend that you remove the seats first in order to pull back the upholstry and install the heating pads and wires. Anyone ever tried this on an 08-09 Lancer? A DIY guide would be awesome.

Also in order to make sure the seat airbag isnt damaged as well as the seat occupant sensor, are there any additional tips you would provide to someone if they decide to attempt a heated seat installation.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

just remember removing seats means disconnecting airbags which means a trip to the dealer to "reset" the light. My dealer was a pain and cost 100.00, xxlancergtsxx wasnt and only cost him about 35.

The Occupant Control Module for the passenger is below the seat not inside, the passenger seat DOES have 2 weight sensors. I dont think the drivers seat has weight sensors, refer to service manual to be sure, because the drivers airbag is ALWAYS on, no matter the weight of the driver.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

^^ I thought if you disconnect the battery and let it sit for 5 mins then take the seat out you wouldnt run into the airbag issue light when you plug it back in. Can anyone confirm this for sure?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

well i dont know the exact timeing but heres how my install went.

First thing I did was disconnect the negative terminal.

went inside got the rest of my tools, sized up the right size tools and began removing the 4 bolts that bolt the seat down. Well first i removed the seat belt bolt which took like a minute.

Each bolt took about 30 seconds maybe, maybe more. Then i tried getting the sensors unplugged and those were a b*t*ch and took a few more minutes.

Finally i got the seat out...

put the recaro seats in and airbag light.

granted the OCM was different and this may have caused the light to come on not just the unplugging, I am pretty sure htat when you unplug the airbags the light WILL COME ON. in the service manual it confirms my orig suspicion that the srs sytem is backed up by lithium batteries.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

best bet would be to just install everything in car with the battery disconnected, dont mess with airbags, just look up in the service manual where they are and where the sensors are so you know
Old Nov 10, 2008, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

So for the a heated seats installation, its recommended just to work with the seats in the car... just pull back the bottom cloth upholstery and go from there....
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:41 PM

Ive taken my driver seat out to look at the stock amp on my GTS which to get to you have to unplug all three conections. Afterwards my light never came on so i dont think the air bag light is coming on just because you unplug the connectors.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for confirming this, I was 90% positive that the reason the airbag light came on was because the "new" Evo X Recaro seats had the OCM (occupant control module) from the EVO X on the bottom of the passenger seat and when i swapped them i didnt swap the OCM.

So when I put the Evo X seat in with the OCM from the evo x the OCM had a different serial number(or vin #) than my car and it caused a VIN mismatch, throwing the light.

This is good news, so if i ever want to sell my gts, swapping the seats will be no problem as long as I leave the OCM that is currently in there

Quick Reply: How to: Install OEM Evolution X RECARO seats