Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

plastidiped the chrome part of my grill

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plastidiped the chrome part of my grill

i know theres a few posts here that show how to do this, but i didn't see any that really separated the 2 parts of the grill, cuz separating it makes it a lot easier.
anyway the first thing u gota do is unscrew 4-5 screws in the back of the grill, then you take the entire thing out (be careful theres 2 plastic parts that are locked in on the bottom, but u can just push the middle part of the plastic up and it unlocks and slides out) once u do this its easy u just unscrew the middle part of the grill from the chrome part, and start spraying. its been a week, about 500 miles, and a carwash and its still looks great.

here are the pics

thats what it looks like

this is before painting

after the first coat

after the third and final coat

let it dry outside overnight

put it on in the morning
Old May 31, 2010, 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
proper
Old May 31, 2010, 10:09 PM

Anyone know how long plastidip last? Cause if it won't last to winter I will buy a Lancer DE grill instead of painting it and wasting my time.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:09 AM

thanks evo_soul

and Mc-Roux mines still looking good and i suggest you give it a try cuz its only 6$ so even if it doesn't last your not loosing alot of money, but if it does last then u just saved yourself a bunch not buying the DE grill
Old Jun 5, 2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Armenian_GTS
thanks evo_soul

and Mc-Roux mines still looking good and i suggest you give it a try cuz its only 6$ so even if it doesn't last your not loosing alot of money, but if it does last then u just saved yourself a bunch not buying the DE grill
I'd be curious to see how long the plasti-dip lasts before it starts to come off or chip, etc. I spray painted the grill on my old Lancer, and it lasted about a month or so before I started to see some chips in the paint and pieces flying off. Needless to say, I bought the DE grill soon after. Plasti-dip never really came across my mind, but I'm sure it'll work out a lot better than a $3 can of spray paint, lol.

Another thing I noticed with the DE grill, just FYI for everyone, is that it seems to be made of a much more robust and sturdy plastic than the GTS stock one is. Just somthing I noticed, as I've had my grill crack on me (and others with GTS's have had the same thing happen); the DE grill seemed to be about double as strong as the stock GTS one.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:49 AM

I have not found any plasti dip spray in my area, apparently it'S not available here. The cheapeast place I've found it here is somewhere in Canada (Canswell something like that) and it's 9$ each can and 14$ shipping for 1 can or for 4 can it's the same amount. I don't know if I'm ready to spend that much for it. And from US shipping is like 25$ since it's dangerous good.

Next thing I will do it ask my dad if he can order me some since he work in a hardware store. If he cannot I will order the DE grill. No mess and no wasted money.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:03 AM

Cheap and looks great, seems like a no brainer to me, keep us posted on how long it last.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:20 PM

For the front grile.. How did you get it off and everything ? Did you have to remove a part of the front bumper is it hard or easy ? I really trying to black out my car and want to get it off and paint mines .
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:35 AM

nono u just pop the hood, then remove the plastic cover towards the front of the car, then thers a few skrews holdin the grill in place, u remove those then the 2 plastic locks on the bottom of the grill, unlock those carefully by pushing them out then thats it.

oh and cars been through multiple car washes, and its still looks great, im really happy with the plasti dip
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Armenian_GTS
nono u just pop the hood, then remove the plastic cover towards the front of the car, then thers a few skrews holdin the grill in place, u remove those then the 2 plastic locks on the bottom of the grill, unlock those carefully by pushing them out then thats it.

oh and cars been through multiple car washes, and its still looks great, im really happy with the plasti dip
Agreed. You have two "fake" screws that hold the stock intake/black "border" (for lack of a better word) in (you'll see what I mean by "fake" when you get to them, they have a Phillips head indent in them but they actually have no threads). Once you remove that black cover, I think somewhere around 8-10 screws overall holding the grille in place.
The part that's already back separates from the silver grille with the in it with some plastic hooks. I broke two of these on my old car, but once it's back together you can't tell the difference.

I'm gonna look into plasti-dipping my grille, maybe this weekend. Seems like a better alternative to the DE grille (which I had on my old car) that usually runs between $80-$100 (at least for what I've seen).
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Like it better with the black, very nice mod
Old Aug 6, 2010, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, the black is a nice mod to it. gives the front end a meaner look