Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How to remove and paint valve cover! 4G94

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove and paint valve cover! 4G94

This is a step by step on how to remove, prep, paint and re-install your valve cover on a 4G94! Im not saying this is the only way but this is how i did it. Do it right and take your time and it will turn out amazing! I will post my pictures as soon as i can.
Note: all bolts are 10mm

First: Start by removing the TWO clips that plug into your spark plug coils (top right and left)

Second: undo the 4 bolts (10mm) on the coils and pull them out. The couls pull straight out as well as the plugs that are attached next to the coils.

Third: take off all the wire harnesses around the cover. On mine there were 3. One at the front left and two at the back. They are also held by a 10mm bolt.

Fourth: pull off the hose connecting to the throttle body as well as the long piece screwing into small tunnel attached to the cover (middle left).

Fifth: with a pair of pliers, squeeze the hose clamp to loosen and remove the hose attaching to the intake (right, side)

Sixth: unscrew all 6 bolts placed aroumd the edge of the cover (all bolts here are 10mm) and remove the cover! You should also take off the oil cap

Seventh: once removed, cover your engine with a blanket or something and close the hood lightly to prevent any contaminents getting in your engine.

Eighth: clean all the oil and grease off and start to WET SAND the cover. I would only sand the outside because the inside is more of a plasticky material. I used 200 grit sand paper and just dipped it in a bucket of water while sanding. I would also reccomend washing it off every 10 or 20 minutes just so that you can see where you still need to sand.
(after a while i got tired so i cheated a bit and sand blasted it. Made it go a lot quicker )

Nineth: once your done sanding ALL your spots, clean the valve cover really well.
I bought a new gasket just to be safe but i dont think you have to. If you do, the old one just pulls out with a little bit of force. Just make sure you clean all the oil underneath.

Tenth: once cleaned, start your painting! Make sure you use HIGH TEMPERATURE PAINT. i would reccomend more light coats to make it look nice and even.

Tenth: this step is optional. Once all of you paint is dry, apply your clear coat. Once that is dry you can use a razor to scrape away the paint on the letters so that the letters are silver

Eleventh: once all your paint is dry, clean it and put it all back together! Basically reverse the first few steps. The bolts that go around the rim of te cover will have 2 washers on them- just so you dont get them mixed up.

Once everything is back together, your done!
Attached Thumbnails How to remove and paint valve cover! 4G94-img_0062.jpg  

Last edited by ozrallyrace; May 22, 2011 at 03:38 PM.