Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Install a Evo X ecu on a NA Lancer.

Old Dec 29, 2014, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How To: Install a Evo X ecu on a NA Lancer.

So you have boosted your lancer...

This is for 2008+ 5 speed Manual Turbo Lancer.

First thing to do is to flash an Evo X rom into your Lancer Ecu.

If you are not able to flash your rom in the car, you must remove your ecu and do a bench flash. If you are not able to bench flash the evo x rom, you have to use an older EcuFlash version. The best Version to bench flash is Version 1.43. The newer version will only flash roms with the same first 4 digits. For example: If your car original rom ID is: 54410003, it will only flash rom IDs that's start with 5441... With the 1.43 Version, you can flash any rom into any ecu. Remember, when you do a bench flash, you must do it in recovery mode first and then flash it in normal mode.

Edit: The last EcuFlash 1.445 is capable of flashing any rom into any ecu.

You can start tuning the car. At this point, you will have few DTCs. P0365 Mivec Ex. actuator, P0098 IAT sensor, P0242 and P0243 Boost control solenoids. Your MIVEC will not work because of the P0365. The only way to get rid of that DTC is using an EVO X Ecu.

If you want your Mivec back, you need an EVO X ecu. You can get the ecu from any year GSR or MR (2008+). Once you have your Evo X ecu, you have to go to the dealer and do the programming with the MUT-III.

With the MUT-III, copy the ECU Coding from the Lancer to the PC. To do that, you have to clear the DTCs, if there is one DTC, it will not work. I had to install the IAT sensor because the P0098 was always there and I wasn’t able to clear that code. The P0243, P0242, P0365 can be cleared and if you don’t start the car, they will not show up.

On the MUT-III:
Sys select
Select MFI
Coding
Save to file

Install the Evo X ecu.

Write the VIN into the Evo X ecu.

On the MUT-III:
System select
KOS/IMMO/Keyless
Special function
ENG Key Code &Chassis No/VIN Reg
Enter the chassis VIN you want to program the ECU to

Paste the ecu Coding from the PC (previously saved from Lancer Ecu) to the Evo x ECU. That will avoid having the U0121 DTC. It tells the ECU that your car is 2WD with a Manual Transmission and has for example: the ABS or ASC and so on.

On the MUT-III:
On vehicule Coding
Enter Your VIN
Select the file
Clic on Check icon

Clear all the DTCs

Flash your tuned rom on your new Evo X ecu.

Your Mivec will work again, the engine will be smoother and you will gain power.

If you want to get rid of the P0243 and P0242, you will have to install the two boost solenoids from the evo.

And Voila!

Last edited by sebass007; Mar 30, 2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: It works also for MR ecu.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer said that the ecu and the car weren't communicating. But at the tuner we were able to put different flashes on it. I don't understand
Old Feb 28, 2015, 08:22 AM

I have a evo ecu btw
Old Mar 1, 2015, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by TheOtherLancer
My dealer said that the ecu and the car weren't communicating. But at the tuner we were able to put different flashes on it. I don't understand
I think it's because they don't know how to do it.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sebass007
I think it's because they don't know how to do it.
Went to the dealership today and was told that it wasn't possible to change this. Even told the tech that others had done it and he still stuck to his story. He blamed it on how the EVO ECM was built or something. After hearing this I realIzed that he had no clue.

At this point I'll rent an MUT III and do it myself. I just want to confirm that this indeed works before I spend the money. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Twylyt
Went to the dealership today and was told that it wasn't possible to change this. Even told the tech that others had done it and he still stuck to his story. He blamed it on how the EVO ECM was built or something. After hearing this I realIzed that he had no clue.

At this point I'll rent an MUT III and do it myself. I just want to confirm that this indeed works before I spend the money. Thanks for the help in advance.
There is another option. You can buy a Actia XS and change the engine ecu coding.
http://etacsdecoder.com/index.php
Old Mar 12, 2015, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is another option. You can buy a Actia XS and change the engine ecu coding.
http://etacsdecoder.com/index.php
I'll have to look into that. Have you used this before? Do you know if it's as straight forward as the MUT III? Thanks again for your help. After all this work I'm looking forward to being CEL free....and being able to use my cruise control again.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Twylyt
I'll have to look into that. Have you used this before? Do you know if it's as straight forward as the MUT III? Thanks again for your help. After all this work I'm looking forward to being CEL free....and being able to use my cruise control again.
I have the tool and it's working fine. It's not working as the MUT3. It's totally different.

Last edited by sebass007; May 23, 2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old May 24, 2015, 08:38 AM

My evo x ecu started my 4B11T GTS. This worked just fine for me but I got other codes to deal with. P0365 is def gone and my MIVEC should be working as soon as I get rid of the other dtcs, but I'll keep you posted. It never ends lol
Old May 24, 2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by BKGTS22
My evo x ecu started my 4B11T GTS. This worked just fine for me but I got other codes to deal with. P0365 is def gone and my MIVEC should be working as soon as I get rid of the other dtcs, but I'll keep you posted. It never ends lol
Witch codes?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 03:42 PM

Where can someone rent a MUT III scanner? And Im having the same problem with my dealer. He plugged in the ECU BUT i dont think he cleared the codes first like stated. About the Actia XS is that just as easy? When he was putting the vin in he was able to but the car wouldnt turn over when we were trying to start it. Any ideas?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by TheOtherLancer
Where can someone rent a MUT III scanner? And Im having the same problem with my dealer. He plugged in the ECU BUT i dont think he cleared the codes first like stated. About the Actia XS is that just as easy? When he was putting the vin in he was able to but the car wouldnt turn over when we were trying to start it. Any ideas?
Did he do it exactly like I did in this thread? You have to keep an eye on them because this is something that they don't do often...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 06:12 PM

Did he do it exactly like I did in this thread? You have to keep an eye on them because this is something that they don't do often...
I really don't think he did. Like to reset the codes first I dont think he did, im assuming thats key. whats that other thing you were talking about though besides the mut3 scanner
Old Oct 7, 2015, 08:35 PM

P2128 is there then I clear it but instead of actually clearing the code changes to P28B then I clear it again and it changes P2100. I think my ecu is on the fritz. I'll try to redo the steps at my shop and give them your instructions since they have the MUT III
Old Oct 9, 2015, 08:20 PM

Can I use EcuFlash to write the file from the Lancer ecu to the Evo X ecu? Or do I have to use the MUTIII?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: Install a Evo X ecu on a NA Lancer.