Notices
Lancer-Mirage Compatibility Forum For parts that can be used on both Lancer & Mirage models, post/look in here.

mirage cam on 4G94

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2007, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mirage cam on 4G94

I installed a 272 cam from a 97 mirage 4G93 engine with solid lifters on my 06 lancer 4G94 engine with hidraulic lifters.
IT is NOT a direct bolt on swap. the solid mirage lifters had to be swapped as well on the 4G94 head in order for the rocker arms reach the valves. It works great only that still some lifters noise because of the agressive cam. had to adjust iddle valve about 2 1/4 turns so the revs be at 900 and wont go below 700, since its going up and down from the rough iddle caused by the cam. still revs kinda slow, I thing that the timming is a little retarded, gonna have to move it two or three degrees so the engine revs faster, even tough with timming a bit off the power gain by the cam is super notisable it even limits diferent and faster.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 07:41 PM

IT is a used 272 US cams CAMSHAFT still cant find the exact specs of this cam. since I cant find the web site from the cam manufacturer. but for sure its a 272 it even says it on the back
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Well that's good to know! Glad it's working well for yah!
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

See, I'm confused, some are saying that it's a direct drop in, others are sayin it needs modification, which is it!!!
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:33 PM

I also tought that it was a direct swap but atleast the 4G93 cam I put in is an aftermarket 272 duration and 430lift that was mounted on a mirage that has adjustable solid lifters so when I installed it on the lancer that has hidraulic lifters, the valve lash was huuuuuuuuuuuugeeeeee atleast half an inch, so I had to swap the whole adjustable solid lifters from a 97 mirage head thats prooven to be the best so far. had to adjust the lifters so mutch that I had to put the adjusting nut below the lifter instead of being on top. It works great adjusted the valve lash to 9mm on intake side and 8mm on exhaust side and it has 0 lifter noise. now I gotta mount an adjustable cam gear to adjust a bit the timing so it'll rev faster , put a header and mirage intake manifold plus a apex saf-c and it should be running low 15's or high 14's N/A
Old Dec 25, 2007, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Would this be a different aspect regarding a 2002 OZ? I'm confused because I'm about to go to a junkyard and get me a camshaft, so that I can get some more power.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 08:33 AM

the oz ralli engine is the same as the 06 es the only diference is the fuel system , the oz ralli uses a fuel rail with fuel return and front mounted fuel regulator and the 06 es uses a electronic fuel regulator built in the tank it self and has no fuel return line. I have to make the oz ralli fuel system my self in order to get an accurate fuel pressure for turbo or n/a with mayor mods
Old Dec 26, 2007, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Eh, I wish I knew what all of this meant, I just want my car better, lol.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I think in the US, the ES and OZ have exactly the same fuel system. For the 2002-2003 lancer this meant a return fuel system. I'd be shocked if you hit 14s NA in a lancer unless you run slicks.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I think in the US, the ES and OZ have exactly the same fuel system. For the 2002-2003 lancer this meant a return fuel system. I'd be shocked if you hit 14s NA in a lancer unless you run slicks.
Wouldn't we all? Well, amby do you know if the cams are a direct bolt on? or am I hearing wrong in other forums, certain types are direct bolt on, what's goin on dude?
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

From what I remember, the mirage head and the lancer head are exactly the same, part number and all. The cam is different though to take into account the direct properties of the engine (bore and stroke, rev limiter). I would think the cam would be a bolt-on in the sense that it would work on a lancer but you may need to upgrade parts of the valvetrain just as you would with a high stage RPW cam.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Oh ok, valvetrain, I'm looking that up, but what upgrades would that cinsist of? The reason why I'm asking is just because I want to go and get a cam from a junked mirage, along with a head and the dsm throttle body, fix them up if need be, and install, so I just wanna know, if cams aren't gonna be a direct bolt on, then what else do I need to do with the valve cover off.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is all good info, however, i'm a little puzzled here: you didn't run into any leaky valves when you swapped used valves into an entirely different used cylinder head? did you get the seats recut?

in my opinion, swapping the valves from one head to the next without all the proper shop work is a disaster waiting to happen. the valve seat and face of the valves you are swapping in may be worn drastically different than the ones originally in the g94 head.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jehuty
Oh ok, valvetrain, I'm looking that up, but what upgrades would that cinsist of? The reason why I'm asking is just because I want to go and get a cam from a junked mirage, along with a head and the dsm throttle body, fix them up if need be, and install, so I just wanna know, if cams aren't gonna be a direct bolt on, then what else do I need to do with the valve cover off.
The valvetrain would be valves, valve springs, lifters, etc. If you just use a stock mirage cam, you shouldn't need any upgrades.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:59 AM

I installed my cam with stock springs and valves, just had to chanche the whole hidraulic lifters rocker arms with the 97' mirage "tecnica" solid adjustable rocker arms so I could adjust the valve lash with the 272 camshaft since the valve lash with the stock hidraulic rocker arms was like about half an inch. now I'm going for the stock mirage manifold ,it's like a semi header. mutch better than the 4g94 stock mani with the cat. and 4g93 ported intake manifold with 1g DSM trottle body.

Quick Reply: mirage cam on 4G94