Notices

New car deck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New car deck

Hola,

I'm starting to get tired of not being able to play mp3s in my cars stereo as it doesnt play em .
So, I'm thinking of putting in one of these.

I am however somewhat confused and dont really know what kind of adapters I will need, etc. Does anyone know exactly what is required? I've seen a post some months ago that I found mentioning this. I will be keeping the existing speakers, sub and amp and only replace the head unit.

I would imagine that a store like futureshop could install the head unit and just splice some wires together without any adapters but I'd rather do it myself.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

your gonna need a harness kit it cost me 15 bucks...unless you have the sun and sound package then you need the super duper uber special one with sub control in which case it'll cost more around the 40-50 dollar range... and it's easy to do yourself. for the most part everything's colour coded...
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
talk to crutchfield. they set me up with my system and got me all the adapters i needed. was only one for the sub and the other for the stock harness
Old Feb 2, 2010, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

yea i do have the sun and sound package.
another question; how will the new deck affect the 6 cd changer that comes with the sun and sound package? works just as usual?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

well i found this here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207070...ss.html?tp=736

unfortunately they dont seem to ship to canada. alberta isnt in the drop down list.
now what? might have to make some phone calls.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shoot me a PM thomar.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Success

Update: Here's the canadian website for anyone in canada wanting to order this: Mitsubishi Receiver Wire Harness

Edit: Btw, can anyone confirm that the above is all one needs?

Last edited by Thomar; Feb 2, 2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:16 AM

for a new cd player yep thats all you need, i hooked a dvd player up with just that, but as far as the 6 disc cd changer goes i have no idea? thats something u might wanna ask the crutchfield rep about there always really helful
Old Feb 4, 2010, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

the guy at futureshop said it would work, but... never know...
Old Feb 4, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

im sure theres stereo shops out in edmonton other than future shop... look a couple up in the phone book and head over. they'll be able to help you out for sure
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

well i got the radio installed, unfortunately the cd changer doesnt work with it. the stock radio has a separate connector that looks somewhat proprietary and the new deck doesnt have such a thing. Booh.
I'll probably end up taking the cd changer out and turning the empty space into storage space.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

shouldnt have got the Sony man! there are decks that can use the factory 6-Disc changer....
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:59 PM

sorry dont mean to hijack/revive this thread but im trying to install this http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...yers/DEH-P3600 in my 05 ralliart without the S&S package i have the harness and a solder and electrical tape. i just dont understand the wiring though is it color coded? like would white go to white or would it go to white/black or do i put all the positives with the negatives?does anyone have wireing diagram? and where did u guys put your ground?
Old Mar 6, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackRalliart#1
sorry dont mean to hijack/revive this thread but im trying to install this http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...yers/DEH-P3600 in my 05 ralliart without the S&S package i have the harness and a solder and electrical tape. i just dont understand the wiring though is it color coded? like would white go to white or would it go to white/black or do i put all the positives with the negatives?does anyone have wireing diagram? and where did u guys put your ground?
Hopefully, you do not intend to cut / splice any wires to install a new deck. You should have the correct adapter cables to plug into the car's factory harness and go to the new unit. If you mean to use the solder for putting together the adapter harness, then that's fine. That's what I did when I installed my Alpine HU. I used a bit of heat shrink tape to cover the splices though, electrical tape turns into a gooey mess after a little time.

For a car without the S&S option, the wiring is pretty simple:

Blue/yellow - Ignition switched power
Red/black - Battery power
Green/white - Ties into the lighting circuit for the deck's dimmer function

There is no ground wire in the factory harness, it grounds through the body of the radio and the metal of the dash. If your adapter harness has a ground wire, put a ground lug on it and use a nearby screw to attach it to a grounded piece of metal.

Speakers:

Red/white - Left front +
Red/blue - Left front -
Red - Right front +
Green - Right front -
White/blue - Left rear +
Yellow/red - Left rear -
Light green - Right rear +
Yellow/green - Right rear -
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

for grounding, there are two screws right behind where the radio would sit. it looks like it holds the dash together, part of the frame. i loosened the screw a bit, enough to put the ground cable on, and tightened it back up.

Quick Reply: New car deck