Notices

Audio System shorting out

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio System shorting out

I have one 12in Kicker Klassic wired at 4ohms, hooked up to a german made amp (name unknown) putting out 650watts rms bridged at 4 ohms. The power cable and ground are TSUNAMI 4 gauge with TSUNAMI RCA's. Finally, I have a pioneer DEH-P5200HD headunit.

For some reason, my fuses on my amp (40amp x2) and/or my 60amp fuse right after the battery blow when I start my car and my amp goes into protect mode (Also, for some reason my amp stays in protect mode even after I turn my car off). Therefore, I went to walmart and bought some POS Sony amp that had alittle less watts just to see if it was my amp. When I hooked that up, it wasnt recieving power for some reason, so I took it back. After that test I reliezed that my wiring might be shorting out, so I replaced the old 8 gauge wire for the new TSUNAMI wiring I mentioned above. The only wire I didn't replace was the remote wire. However, the problem still continued after the swap. Therefore, I went to autozone and had them test my alternator, I thought it might have been overcharging my battery. Well I found out that my alternator was fine, but my battery was at only 35%. So, I replaced that with a duralast gold top. Once agin, after I replaced all of my fuses, they blow again. I have offically ran out of ideas. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by djblinx; Nov 18, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:36 AM

im thinking mabey its somthing to do in the amp because this has happened to my friend with his mtx amp and 12 inch type r make sure no wires are touching and stuff i had the same thing with one of my amps it kept going into protect mode but no fuses would blow mabey u need bigger fuses because its restricting power i donno im just spit balling here
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

whats status on this?.....

you tried a new fuse holder after the battery?....make sure the connections on the amp..positive and ground and remote are not touching...sometimes a loose wire is touching something else....and keep the wires neet, dont try to jam a larger gage into smaller...may need to clip excess.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 08:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Change your ground wire.
Seems to me you have a short somewhere. You got wire touching metal somewhere.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problems like this are almost always associated with a bad ground as stated above. Check the ground wire for integrity and the terminals at both ends. Make sure the spot you ground it to is very solid metal like the strut tower bolts in the trunk or similar. Don't just ground to any flimsy metal. Make sure it's free of paint and it's advised to use a star washer to keep it tight and make a really good connection. With my luck the OP already figured it out and has not reported back.