Notices

Audio question?¿

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio question?¿

normally im pretty good figuring things out but i want some second opinions. I had my sub cranked loud the other day to some heavy heavy bass song and i was watching the sub saw it pretty much stop from almost 3 inch excurssion instantly and just barley move as if the amp was clipping.

Turned it down waited a bit thinking the amp over heated and turned it up worked a bit then just died later found all my 4 fusses had blown. replaced those and the sub seems to be working fine still hits hard but not as hard as i remember any suggestions, also faint burning smell out of my port but i could be wrong.

equipment is 12 type x rated 3000max 1000rms hooked up to my pdx m10 whish is rated at 1000W vbut says its putting in the range of 1300 hooked to my 1800 kenetik battery i nthe trunk and my 4 chnl and spekers are fine so any suggetions? the sub never popped or reached maximum excurssion for the cone so i dunno it should be ok id think.

thanks
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like your voice coil took a beating. That's what the burning smell is. Turn down the power, and make sure you're not clipping the amp. Most people are sending clipped signals to their subs and don't even know it.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:17 PM

I have read that the alpine subs will cut the coil off from the power if you overheat them.
It could be that the subs are not getting enough airflow to cool themselves down, and they shutdown due to the heat, or you are over driving them, and causing damage to the coils.

Either way I would turn back the gain on your amp, and like Vivid said, make sure the amp is not clipping.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliartimus
I have read that the alpine subs will cut the coil off from the power if you overheat them.
It could be that the subs are not getting enough airflow to cool themselves down, and they shutdown due to the heat, or you are over driving them, and causing damage to the coils.

Either way I would turn back the gain on your amp, and like Vivid said, make sure the amp is not clipping.
yeah i think it was partly heat because it was like 36 degrees celceius out and i was hammering it for a while, and partly to due with just the gain being a bit to high for that one song, either way my alpine spec 1cu box and 12x1inch port is being replaced with a 2.5 cu box with a 2.5 by 12 inch port so should be lots more air flow and at that point i will re tune everything and adjust the gain so its suiting for when im at a car show lol. thanks guys anyone else ideas??
also seems to be playing jsut as loud again maybe im on crack lol and didnt realize :P
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:15 PM

Sounds like your old/current box was too small for that sub. The larger one should be better for that sub.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliartimus
Sounds like your old/current box was too small for that sub. The larger one should be better for that sub.
yeah but the sad thing is this box is alpine spec... 1.1 cu feet and a 12x1 inch port thats 22inch long, its way to small sounds good tho but when i put the sub in the new box after the fiberglass was finished setting but before i painted...wow huge difference even at 1/2 volume was insane.
Thanks for the help guys it was pretty much what i figured but always good for second opinions, also sub seems to be hitting just as hard again so i dunno probably me being worried about it lol