Notices
Lancer Ralliart Vendor Classifieds See what special deals and offers our vendors have going on! These vendors have registered their Tax ID and other pertinent information so you can be more assured when purchasing items.

ROAD/RACE-We have underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2005, 02:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well I just checked my bank account and it has been billed for it so I am assuming that they are sending them out should be getting mine in the next week
Old Oct 8, 2005, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
THey have been shipping regularly now. If 10 days go by email cory@roadracemotorsports.com for tracking info. Don't call in for that.

ROAD/RACE
Old Oct 8, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ROCK
That can be true but in most instances, the pulley on a stock motors cost manufacterers a $2 dollars. THey are not balanced unto themselves because they are cast pieces. Our pulley are CNCed and completely balanced units.

ROAD/RACE
Isnt that kind of skirting the actual question? It isnt the balancing of the oem pulley thats in question, its the elimination of the vibration dampener that is intigrated into the oem pulley that is the concern. A balanced pulley will not help with crank vibrations.... which could potentially (and over time) damage internals.

Dont get me wrong... I would love to pick one of these up for the hp, but it has seemed that everytime someone asks a concerning question about it, the person selling the product basically says not to worry about it, or "so far so good". I guess with so little time and miles on this product, we wont know any more for a year or two of driving. But damn... it is so tempting....
Old Oct 9, 2005, 08:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Not trying to skirt question. Most rotating components are balanced unto themselves so as long as new component is balanced it should be fine or within accepted percentage on balance. Everyone including our turbo RA is running fine. I would not sell it if I did not want to run it on my own car!

ROAD/RACE
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ROCK
Not trying to skirt question. Most rotating components are balanced unto themselves so as long as new component is balanced it should be fine or within accepted percentage on balance. Everyone including our turbo RA is running fine. I would not sell it if I did not want to run it on my own car!

ROAD/RACE
I understand that everyones cars are running fine now. My concern is more for down the road. From what I have heard and read, removing the dampener will most likely lower the lifespan of the motor. The dampener not only takes motor vibrations out of the cabin... but also takes them out of the spinning crankshaft. My understanding is that these vibrations travelling through the crankshaft will cause premature wearing on the bearings and races, as the crankshaft is slightly vibrating more. Im not saying that peoples motors are going to grenade after a couple hundred miles, but there is a concern if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, with a more or less stock motor.
If I am way out to lunch on these points, please say so, and I will happily order the pully, it sounds like a great low cost hp gainer. I just want the trueth on these products known. If this is a car you plan on keeping as a daily driver for years to come, like my wife and I are, we have to be careful on to what cost to the motor will certain parts effect over time.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

^ What he said. A 6whp gain wouldn't be worth the trouble, although I did speak to my friend who is currently at UW-Madison studying mechanical engineering, and has help build a formula mazda race car and he said something similar to what ROCK said.

"Removing the dampener on the crank pulley will not reduce the life span of the engine that greatly, maybe acouple thousand miles off its lifespan, because you are taking off an unbalanced, higher weight part and replacing it with a light weight, balanced part."
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=r3z0nate]^ What he said. A 6whp gain wouldn't be worth the trouble, although I did speak to my friend who is currently at UW-Madison studying mechanical engineering, and has help build a formula mazda race car and he said something similar to what ROCK said.

"Removing the dampener on the crank pulley will not reduce the life span of the engine that greatly, maybe acouple thousand miles off its lifespan, because you are taking off an unbalanced, higher weight part and replacing it with a light weight, balanced part."[/QUOTE]

Interesting. It would be nice to see some actual facts on this, rather then just hear-say. If its true about only slightly limiting the life span by that little bit, I forsee a new pully in my future. However, I still have trouble with removing a part off the motor, that is intented to prevent damage to the internals, until I see some definate proof. It looks as though I am not the only one with these concerns.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wrecked

Interesting. It would be nice to see some actual facts on this, rather then just hear-say. If its true about only slightly limiting the life span by that little bit, I forsee a new pully in my future. However, I still have trouble with removing a part off the motor, that is intented to prevent damage to the internals, until I see some definate proof. It looks as though I am not the only one with these concerns.
I totally understand where you are coming from because i had the same questions. The thing you must realize is that any change you make to your car can void warranty and possibly cause premature death to your car/engine. Adding a piggyback could cause electrical errors in your engine, CAI could possibly get water in the engine. There is a chance with every part you buy. This is were you have to decide whether you are willing to take that small % chance of something bad happening to get that 5-10hp.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NonEvo
I totally understand where you are coming from because i had the same questions. The thing you must realize is that any change you make to your car can void warranty and possibly cause premature death to your car/engine. Adding a piggyback could cause electrical errors in your engine, CAI could possibly get water in the engine. There is a chance with every part you buy. This is were you have to decide whether you are willing to take that small % chance of something bad happening to get that 5-10hp.
I hear ya. And totally agree. The only thing is, this product unlike most others, has alot of unknowns to it. With the CAI and the Piggy, you know the possible problems... where this one is a little more contraversial. Will it wreck your crankshaft bearings/races or wont it? It seems to me that this should be more of a yes or no answer. Kind of like the CAI, if your stupid enough to drive through a lake size puddle, you WILL hydro lock your motor. Again, it would be nice to see some time tested facts on this product, or one like it on a similar car. However, you are right, if you want to play, you have to pay... and sometimes dearly.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

i spoke with a buddy of mine that has been a mechanic for pro stock dragster for 20+ years, and asked him about the negs to these underdrive pulleys. He did not even think the vibration would be too big of a deal if the pulleys are good quality and balanced as RRM says. The issue he said you would have to worry about is the obvious. Since the belt is moving much faster, so are the rest of the pulleys, which could cause excess wear on your all your other pulleys(altenater, AC, power steering). It could cause there bearings to wear out faster. He said it could change your timing, but i dont believe that is a factor with out engines. He said that if you are worried about it and still have your warranty then he would not advise you to get the pulleys. But if you dont have to worry about Mitsu voiding your warranty(meaning you dont have one) and you want the power then go for it.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 06:41 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The issue he said you would have to worry about is the obvious. Since the belt is moving much faster, so are the rest of the pulleys, which could cause excess wear on your all your other pulleys(altenater, AC, power steering). It could cause there bearings to wear out faster.
The belt is moving slower with the pulley, so that's not a worry
Old Oct 10, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

i spoke with a buddy of mine that has been a mechanic for pro stock dragster for 20+ years, and asked him about the negs to these underdrive pulleys. He did not even think the vibration would be too big of a deal if the pulleys are good quality and balanced as RRM says. The issue he said you would have to worry about is the obvious. Since the belt is moving much faster, so are the rest of the pulleys, which could cause excess wear on your all your other pulleys(altenater, AC, power steering). It could cause there bearings to wear out faster. He said it could change your timing, but i dont believe that is a factor with out engines. He said that if you are worried about it and still have your warranty then he would not advise you to get the pulleys. But if you dont have to worry about Mitsu voiding your warranty(meaning you dont have one) and you want the power then go for it.
Otter already corrected you on the slower moving part... so I will not say anything on that.
It sounds like your draging friend is speaking more of the pulley itself causing vibrations. This is not going to be a problem because they are balanced. The issue is that the vibration dampener that is removed takes out the vibrations in the crankshaft itself. Loosing that piece causes the crank to get a little more vibration travelling through it, thus causing the bearings and races to handle more vibrations then they were intended to = lowered lifespan. How much more seems to be unclear. This is the info that I would like to see.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Just a quick one here recieved the pulley in todays mail and I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the product it is finished of beautifully all I need now is a car for it to fit onto... but the time for delivery was 4 days very fast considering that it came from the U.S to rural Western Australia well done guys will be telling all about the product... than again I might not... not till I win a few races and lay down some nice track times....

As far as what it will do to the motor and other parts as far as wear goes I think that it is not very fair to ask someone if they can tell you what will happen - I think if anyone had a crystal ball and could see into the future they would not be using it to tell you what car parts will work they would be using it for a lottery win.... the good thing with drag racing and other motorsport events race teams modify nearly every component in there cars and this is one part that frequently gets modified, because it provides a safe and reliable way of increasing power and when they fail they look at other ways of improving it - balance, size and weight. But if you are really that worried about what it may do to the car then don't do it look for other ways of making power or you can put the pulley on and make sure that the car is regularly serviced and use quality oils and lubrcants check on a regular basis how the other pullys are holding up... other than that it is a gamble but I see it as a viable one

sorry for rant but just my 2 cents
Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Good point Chowtime. Thanks

ROAD/RACE
Old Oct 11, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Got the pulley today.

Quick Reply: ROAD/RACE-We have underdrive pulleys