Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Fiberglass Enclosure Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2005, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One question that I have that has been bugging me for days. How did you get the seatbelts out and back in. I saw one had a slit cut in it, but what about the one that had the top shroud removed (the other piece you glassed). I didn't see any cuts or anything. I am going to try this project next weekend and I need all the specific of this. Oh, I really didn't understand you explanation on how you got it to mount back in place without the stock clips and stuff...does it just sit in there not connected at all? e-mail me if it is easier. tuner_freek2004@yahoo.com
Old Nov 3, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03OZ_tuner
One question that I have that has been bugging me for days. How did you get the seatbelts out and back in. I saw one had a slit cut in it, but what about the one that had the top shroud removed (the other piece you glassed). I didn't see any cuts or anything. I am going to try this project next weekend and I need all the specific of this. Oh, I really didn't understand you explanation on how you got it to mount back in place without the stock clips and stuff...does it just sit in there not connected at all? e-mail me if it is easier. tuner_freek2004@yahoo.com
There is a cut, that's how I got the seat belts back in. To take out the middle seat belt, just slide into the hole. You will figured it right away once you start .

I didn't have to use the stock clips because it was a close fit and it's very tight on its place.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 04:39 PM

Alright Flip, you talked me into it. I started the Fiberglass Deck lid today and I got everything taped and the first layer of glass drying right now. I saw what you meant about the center seatbelt. I got that out. I am following your steps to the T and getting good results so far...any words of wisdom before I remove the mold in the morning? I will keep you posted.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Alright Flip, you talked me into it. I started the Fiberglass Deck lid today and I got everything taped and the first layer of glass drying right now. I saw what you meant about the center seatbelt. I got that out. I am following your steps to the T and getting good results so far...any words of wisdom before I remove the mold in the morning? I will keep you posted.
When you're removing the mod, try to be gently as you can, start from the sides and make your way out. If it start to crack, don't worry about it, since you're going to apply another layer.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 07:23 PM

Got the mold off and threw down a second layer and I should sand tomorrow. How did you cover up the rest on the stock square speaker holes when you installed the rings? I have been trying to figure that one out too. I am considering putting two small wooden dows to tilt the speakers toward the front of the car. But how did you cover the rest of that square without oozing Bondo everywhere?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Got the mold off and threw down a second layer and I should sand tomorrow. How did you cover up the rest on the stock square speaker holes when you installed the rings? I have been trying to figure that one out too. I am considering putting two small wooden dows to tilt the speakers toward the front of the car. But how did you cover the rest of that square without oozing Bondo everywhere?
It's callled fleecing. Check the Fleecing section. Btw, it would be nice if you can post a pic of your project.

You can also look at this pictures when I was fleecing the enclosure.

Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass Enclosure Tutorial-image047.jpg   Fiberglass Enclosure Tutorial-image048.jpg   Fiberglass Enclosure Tutorial-image049.jpg   Fiberglass Enclosure Tutorial-image050.jpg   Fiberglass Enclosure Tutorial-image051.jpg  

Last edited by AznFlip; Nov 9, 2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:41 PM

Thanks bro. I will get a few shots tomorrow morning when I start...federal holidays are great Sorry for not getting the pics sooner. I I will start the fleecing tomorrow morning cause I am hittin the rack soon.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 06:58 PM

Here's some pics to tide you over until I am done. I finished the bondo today and should finish sanding in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass Enclosure Tutorial-bondo1.jpg   Fiberglass Enclosure Tutorial-bondo2.jpg   Fiberglass Enclosure Tutorial-fleecing1.jpg   Fiberglass Enclosure Tutorial-fleecing3.jpg  
Old Nov 12, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Here's some pics to tide you over until I am done. I finished the bondo today and should finish sanding in the morning.
Looking good man. Now test fit it before you go any further (if you haven't done it).

Btw, what kind of speakers you'll be using?
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:05 PM

I already test fitted both speakers and made sure they fir right. I am running 6.5" Lightning Audio 3-ways. I will be doing a tutorial myself on converting the door grills to speaker pods for a set of Blitz Audio 6.5" components with the tweeter in the door next to the door handle. I'll post more pics after paint. I haven't decided on black or yellow for the color of it yet. What you think?
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

I already test fitted both speakers and made sure they fir right. I am running 6.5" Lightning Audio 3-ways. I will be doing a tutorial myself on converting the door grills to speaker pods for a set of Blitz Audio 6.5" components with the tweeter in the door next to the door handle. I'll post more pics after paint. I haven't decided on black or yellow for the color of it yet. What you think?
That's cool .

Well it depends on your interior color theme. But if I have to chose, I'll buy a piece of black vinyl fabric.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:19 PM

Question

I am going all black and yellow inside. I had it black blue and yellow before but the blue looks kinda cheesy. I am going for subtle yellow accents. just a few pieces. I am painting the rear pillars black and was wondering if black was too mych or set it off with yellow with yellow speakers. After seeing the idea, what do you think
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

I am going all black and yellow inside. I had it black blue and yellow before but the blue looks kinda cheesy. I am going for subtle yellow accents. just a few pieces. I am painting the rear pillars black and was wondering if black was too mych or set it off with yellow with yellow speakers. After seeing the idea, what do you think
I guess yellow would be fine since it's like on the rear/middle.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:06 PM

How crazy is this, I was actually thinking about doing this to my Evo when I get it! I am starting to learn to do fiberglass work by making a Satellite radio mount for my Neon. If all goes well, I'll have a dime sized bar, going from above the center bezel, and wrap around the little holder up there and stop next to the top left air vent. If all goes well Ill post pics of it, then when I get the Evo, Ill just hack the bottom off of it, and apply a new mount.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 05:28 PM

I went with black since I had a lot of little dings and scratches in the primer...less likely to see them if it is gloss black. I will have pics tomorrow for you. Later bro.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Enclosure Tutorial