Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Carbon Fiber Care

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2005, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Fiber Care

I couldn't find a thread on the topic, so I thought I'd go ahead and pose the question.

What are some good care guidelines for carbon fiber? I've heard rumors that waxing can increase yellowing - is this true? What can be done about fading/whitening clear coat on a carbon fiber product? Any other general pointers or comments would be appreciated.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

I wax CF and it doesn't seem to yellow. I have actually heard that not waxing allows more UV rays to yellow it in. I don't know for sure though.

BUMP for some answers.....
Old Sep 16, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

i know there are some waxes out there that would actually turn cf yellow. theres certain types you should watch out for, forgot what though
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:34 PM
Account Disabled

DO NOT USE TURTLE... Meguirs pownz all.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

How about fading of the clearcoat over carbon fiber products? Is there an easy solution? Can the clearcoat be sanded off and a new coat reapplied?
Old Sep 18, 2005, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

I'll tell you want not to do...don't put anything alcohol based on it. Especially nail polish remover. I learned the hard way. Hehe.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

I would still love to get some input on this thread regarding carbon fiber care. I have a VIS CF hood and an ebay CF wing... the clearcoat on the wing has long since gone to crap, and it looks like the same thing is happening to the hood. Do I need to get these items sanded and re-clearcoated? is that possible? does that happen often? how long should a clearcoat last before this is necessary? someone's gotta have some experience in this arena...
Old Oct 5, 2005, 07:27 PM
Account Disabled

ebay wing? what kind.... also, i have a vis hood... im repainting it soon, errr painting it for the first time, my clear coat is yellow as ****.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

evo VII style. can't tell ya who sold it to me, don't remember. full CF though... I have the two sidestands paintmatched to my car. looked great until the clearcoat went. you're gonna colormatch your VIS to your car? or leave a section uncovered CF?

the other thing... my CF (or clearcoat) isn't yellowing... it's turning... white. maybe i should take some pics. looks like crap.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 07:48 PM
Account Disabled

oh see mines yellowing urs is hazing, u need to wet sand it and reclear coat or just paint it...

no im painting the whole hood.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

For some reason, clearcoats over cf have a habit of fading, bubbling, etc. much sooner than clearcoats over paint. The only real way you can help avoid it is to use a high-quality clearcoat, and even that's not a sure guarantee. Plus most cf parts come clearcoated from the factory, so most people don't have much of a say in that. As far as yellowing, yes some chemicals can change the color of cf a little, but most car waxes are safe to use on it, and should be used often. And for fixing cf that has blemishes or clearcoat problems, as lancelot said you can wetsand and reclear cf. If done correctly it should look fine.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Meguiar's Gold Class.

This is a topic of interest for me as well since I want a vented CF hood bad. A friend of mine has an Evo 8 and the CF on his wing has a faded white spot that peeled or something. Obviously he didn't take care of it properly so I don't intend to make his mistake. I have wondered what effects wax would have on CF.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

I think that the Vis hoods have a Gel Coat on them, not a clear coat....I may be wrong on that but I thought I read that somewhere.

And also mine HAS yellowed horribly and is getting white spots in it.....I think that Vis hoods are just junk. Next time I'm gonna get something better quality

Adam
Old Oct 6, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

from what i was told: wet CF will absorb clear coats, thats why they gel coat it, and dry CF will take Clear just find, but it is a lot harder to use dry CF, and doesnt look as good, so people use wet CF, which is what VIS uses, not you woult need to get it sanded then re gel coated, but i really dont know if that helps or not
Old Oct 6, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

yeh .. most CF hoods have gel coats.... once it f*ck its the end for that hood.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Care