Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

How to rewire '04+ headlights!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is this illegal in CA? i really wanna try this :-D
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

results
Old Apr 1, 2006, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

for those concerned with legal issues (and even those not)

this is NOT legal. You are required to have turn signals visible from the front of the vehicle in all 50 states. What size they have to be, I am not certain, and I am pretty sure that would vary from state-to-state. But simply making that a 'running light' of sorts is definitely NOT legal.

Those mentioning different colored bulbs. Blue and green are bad choices. Blue, obviously is for police use. Green is only to be used on a the vehicle belonging to the commander at an incedent scene (such as a major fire or wreck). Use these colors at the risk of getting tickets.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

green never seen them used but by me
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

it's not one you would see often. that doesn't change the laws

edit: here's a link for the use of green in NE, it's a little different from others.

http://srvwww.unicam.state.ne.us/leg...6006230000.xml

Last edited by twardOZRally; Apr 1, 2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twardOZRally
for those concerned with legal issues (and even those not)

this is NOT legal. You are required to have turn signals visible from the front of the vehicle in all 50 states. What size they have to be, I am not certain, and I am pretty sure that would vary from state-to-state. But simply making that a 'running light' of sorts is definitely NOT legal.

Those mentioning different colored bulbs. Blue and green are bad choices. Blue, obviously is for police use. Green is only to be used on a the vehicle belonging to the commander at an incedent scene (such as a major fire or wreck). Use these colors at the risk of getting tickets.
I do have turn signals. I just switched places and they are visible from the front. I've never had any problems with cops and it's been a while now.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twardOZRally
it's not one you would see often. that doesn't change the laws

edit: here's a link for the use of green in NE, it's a little different from others.

http://srvwww.unicam.state.ne.us/leg...6006230000.xml
hey thanks i'll wait till i get pulled over hahahah
Old Apr 1, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Even if the cops did hastle you abour your turn signals being visible from the front (or maybe just not visible enough) switch a few more wires out and have your fog lights work in conjunction with your turn signals... and that way nobody would ever be able to say in an accident that they couldn't see the signal from the front of the car.

I don't see why the cops would say anything anyways... most of them never use a signal, at least we would be using ours.

Almost forgot... on the issue of colored bulbs... I got hastled for having *white* (not colored) strobes in my head lights because the cops saw me hanging out at the park. They weren't even turned on at the time, and they asked me to just so they could see what they look like. Then told me I would have to remove them. That's BS. Just goes to show that cops don't like us. I guess they show F&F as a training video for how we act or something now.

Last edited by Never Satisfied; Apr 1, 2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
Even if the cops did hastle you abour your turn signals being visible from the front (or maybe just not visible enough) switch a few more wires out and have your fog lights work in conjunction with your turn signals... and that way nobody would ever be able to say in an accident that they couldn't see the signal from the front of the car.

I don't see why the cops would say anything anyways... most of them never use a signal, at least we would be using ours.

Almost forgot... on the issue of colored bulbs... I got hastled for having *white* (not colored) strobes in my head lights because the cops saw me hanging out at the park. They weren't even turned on at the time, and they asked me to just so they could see what they look like. Then told me I would have to remove them. That's BS. Just goes to show that cops don't like us. I guess they show F&F as a training video for how we act or something now.
Hook your turn signals up to your bright lights. That'd be a serious turn signal.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

I actually thought about rewiring the strobes I had into the high beams so I didn't have the extra bulb, that would have been awesom... would be killer as a turn signal though.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:49 PM

Should (might already be) make a walk thru to change the side blinkers to dimmer lights, like on some euro cars.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lucentex
Should (might already be) make a walk thru to change the side blinkers to dimmer lights, like on some euro cars.
I was thinking about it at that time but it looked too convoluted. The wires for the side markers are like inside the fender and hard to get to. But it can be done and would look pretty interesting. Post it up if you do, I'd like to see the results!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

id like that walk through / like to see it
Old Oct 25, 2006, 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

I just thought of something and it may just be pure genius. let me know how this strieks you all as a solution to the front turn signals problem.

if you want the original turn signals to be the running lights and act as a turn signal when engaged while also using the sidemarkers as turn signals, you could follow the instructions below given by shields but instead of just switching the wires you would actually install a one way circuit (using diodes) from the turn signal wire to the original turn signals. in other words you would have the parking light wire AND the turn signal wire going into the front signals and the turn signal wire only, going into the sidemarker lights. then on the two wires going into the front bulb you would install resistors that would bring the amperage to half that of full brightness. that way when you turned on the parking lights you would have a half bright front light for a parking light and then when you engage the turn signal the front light will alternate between half brightness and full brightness and the sidemarker light will blink as well... that way you get the best of both worlds... im gonna go home and do the math on the resistors and make a trip to radio shack and try this out.. . .. wish me luck that i dont fry my ****
Old Oct 25, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

wowowowow foxphyre .. sounds a little complicated

BUT if you were to pull this off, be sure to take pictures!! and a list of parts to buy

haha sounds like a lot of work but i for one would love to have a writeup

goodluck` if you do it

Quick Reply: How to rewire '04+ headlights!