Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

How to rewire '04+ headlights!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to get with my dad on this one since hes an avionics technician and has been working on aircraft electrical systems for longer than i have been alive so im gonna get his expertise.

from what I know about electronics alrady it shouldnt be hard. the diodes in the line should make sure the circuit doesnt flow backwards and break **** and the resistors would be calculated to cut the power to the lamp by exactly half so that it would be dim, but visible and so that when the blinker is engaged it removes pretty much all the resistance and the thing blinks at normal brightness (which you all know is VERY bright for a blinker) 1156 bulbs are used for motorcycle taillights and they do the same thing. they run at half brightness ad when the brake is squeezed they go to fullbright for brake lights. . .

ill keep yall posted and i will make a new thread for any further discoveries so ill stop jacking shields thread. Mad props to shields for giving me inspiration with those illustrator images! thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

i did that on a '03 with my OEM and Cedia headlamps, and it passed inspection fine with both. i just used LEDs because the turn signal spot would get rather hot from having a bulb constantly on in there.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsulancerrace
i did that on a '03 with my OEM and Cedia headlamps, and it passed inspection fine with both. i just used LEDs because the turn signal spot would get rather hot from having a bulb constantly on in there.
the LEd thing is a good idea. i looked up thespecs on that bulb and it gets up to like 200 degrees F in 2 minutes of being on. . . leds stay at the same temp as ambient air
Old Oct 25, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Foxphyre... you could do it an easier way that calculating resistors and all that jazz.

Just us a relay to make an interupt circuit so that it would flash alternately of the turn signal. No need to diodes or resistors that way. It would be really easy to do, and would still enable you to use your existing turn signals as running lights (and vice versa)
Old Oct 26, 2006, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

yay i want this write up.. will it be just about the same for the 04s+?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
Foxphyre... you could do it an easier way that calculating resistors and all that jazz.

Just us a relay to make an interupt circuit so that it would flash alternately of the turn signal. No need to diodes or resistors that way. It would be really easy to do, and would still enable you to use your existing turn signals as running lights (and vice versa)
then it wouldnt be half bright to full bright on turn signal. . that would prolong bulb life too. hmmm ill have to check into that. i dont think the relays are expensive, but i want something that any n00b with no electrical experience can do. if it gets complicated then ill have to go into businessdoing this and become a registered vendor... i dont feel like that hehe but this is definitely doable and i am gonna be researching it. . .
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do a write up, sounds interesting, just remember the headlight housing gets hot, and LEDS can burn out from such temps, so be carefull about that, and get decent LED bulbs.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Not that much complication to it really. A standard relay has 5 post... normally referred to as 30 (common), 87a (normally closed), 87 (normally open), 85 & 86 (control circuit).

In this setup you would have to swap your light wires (as this thread started out)... but then you would put in your relay. Ground the 85 input, and connect the 86 to your turn signal wire for power (in an 05 ES the turn signal wires are L = light green and r = yellow).
That takes care of the switching part. Now to actually make the light flash.

You will have to cut the run light circuit... which should already have to be done to make the swap. On the side of cut wire that is going to the light, you would connect the 30 output. The 87a would go to the vehicle side of the wire.

Since you are only interrupting a circuit, not replacing it with something else, the 87 would not be used at all. Let me see if I can make up a quick diagram on Paint or something.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

No go on the paint. I got a diagram made up, but not way to post it.

Anyways... simplified

85 - Ground (-)
86 - Tapped From Turn Signal Wire (+)

Cut Run Light Wire

30 - Vehicle Side Of Run Light Wire
87a - Light Side Of Run Light Wire

87 - No Connection

The connections can be made on the relay with 1/4" female quick connects. The post are usually labeled on the bottom of the relay. Shouldn't be hard to hook up.

Last edited by Never Satisfied; Oct 27, 2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

confused....

so i did this mod.... switched all the wires, everything works great, expcept my turn signals blink really fast now, like there is a burnt out bulb, but there isn't. both directions they will blink twice as fast as usual. my hazards work fine and blink at the normal speed, but turn signals will not. anyone know why this is? it's annoying.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

someone at least say this didn't happen to them. i must have done something wrong.... ? say something either way please.
Old May 4, 2008, 08:20 AM

^^if i'm not mistaken, you need a load equalizer to make them blink at a normal rate

one per side

The resistance is different depending on if you're installing just front OR rear, or both front AND rear:
- Front OR Rear: 6 ohm load equalizer
- Front AND Rear: 3 ohm load equalizer
Old May 8, 2008, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try a "heavy duty" flasher, I believe its located in the engine bay fuse box.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Which mod did you do? Just to switch the wires straight up, or to make them alternate when blinking?
Old May 13, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Just switched the driving lights to blinkers and blinkers to driving lights. just switched the two wires. i think i just need to get a higher rated flasher deal?

Quick Reply: How to rewire '04+ headlights!