Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

cleaning motor

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleaning motor

i go to a lot of car shows living in west palm beach and i see all these people with spotless engine componenets and motors that you could eat off of. does anyone know how to clean it to perfection, after 5 yrs of this car bein driven it needs to have a good spotless wash
Old Apr 16, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

I usually spray engine down with brake cleaner to take out all the grime and then the orange glow spray and wcrub it down. Then I hose it down wish high water pressure. Works for me..
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Just spray it with water? dont you have to cover certain things so you dont ruin your engine & **** .. ?
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

this might help:

http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/degreaser.htm
Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

ive found two tricks to work really well. One get some Citrus Engine brite stuff, they sell a couple of different brands but basically its all a cittic acid based cleaner. Simple green if you do it wrong or use it to often will start to eat rubber seals. Citrus wont. So cover up your battery, alternator, and intake filter (if its exposed) and spray down your whole motor. Then spray it off, with hot water if you can. After that i spray the WHOLE engine with WD40 and proceed to wipe it all off with paper towels. Not only does it get the last of the grease off but it makes everything look rich and shiney.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Walkingchaos
ive found two tricks to work really well. One get some Citrus Engine brite stuff, they sell a couple of different brands but basically its all a cittic acid based cleaner. Simple green if you do it wrong or use it to often will start to eat rubber seals. Citrus wont. So cover up your battery, alternator, and intake filter (if its exposed) and spray down your whole motor. Then spray it off, with hot water if you can. After that i spray the WHOLE engine with WD40 and proceed to wipe it all off with paper towels. Not only does it get the last of the grease off but it makes everything look rich and shiney.
oohh i can vision that in my head bro nice trick.. the wd40 will act as a glaze so to speak. nice!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

ya its actually really subtle, makes everything just kinda rich and dark actually keeps some of the rubber parts moist so to speak
Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

^ definitely a nice trick. my engine bay is in desperate need of some TLC right about now too.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Walkingchaos
I use the same Citrus Engine Brite can, works well... Though I've never planned on using WD-40 before now, maybe I'll try that trick next.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SImple Green has always done a good job for me for getting dirt and crap off.