Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Newfoundlancer's Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you notice an improvement getting that new deck in there? i assume you are using the stock speakers and no amp on them.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy427
did you notice an improvement getting that new deck in there? i assume you are using the stock speakers and no amp on them.
Well, it's sorta hard to say... yet the answer is yes. The big improvement came from putting the subs in at the same time. With the frequency filter, I was able to direct all the bass to the subs and so the stock speakers don't distort at high volume. The system as a whole sounds great. On the same note however, I have had the subs out on various occasions, and used the deck to tune the stock speakers to sound very nice. I find that the stock speakers in the lancer are actually very nice quality wise and produced some nice bass when needed. All in all, I'd say that the stock head unit is fine until you upgrade to a sub system.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

makes sense. i was told they could hook subs up to my rear speaker outputs if i didnt want to swap out my head unit.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 03:49 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking pretty sweet mate a lot of good stuff done there.
Shame you didn't get your sway bar on, but make sure you post pics after the shop fits it for you.

love the lights by the way. although i actually think the stock taillights looked nicer than the black housing ones. They split up the black and added some nice red color to the car, makes it look meaner.
Also you should remove the oz badge from the bottom left of the trunk., it looks out of place, all asymetrical and what not.

good work overall though. makes me wish i had some more money
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy427
makes sense. i was told they could hook subs up to my rear speaker outputs if i didnt want to swap out my head unit.
Yeah, the amp signal can be spliced into the stock speaker wire in the back. The wire would go to a "speaker level input" connection on the amplifier. Personally, I'm not a fan of using speaker level input. There's something to be said for a dedicated subwoofer output coming off the deck. It allows subwoofer volume control, frequency control, etc.. from the deck itself. If you're gonna do subs, make sure you do it right so you don't have regrets later. Don't cheap out on your system and it will be all that you bargained for. That includes your wiring kit. While you might be able to get a car audio wiring kit for say.. $50 which has "everything" in it, you are quite likely going to be left with 8 guage wire and poor fitments. You want to get at least 4 guage wire for power and ground, and get nice insulated RCA wires for your subwoofer line. If you're doing the install yourself, make sure to run your power line down one side of your car, and your audio line down the other in order to avoid signal interference. Planning is just as important as doing I like to say
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Newfoundlancer
Yeah, the amp signal can be spliced into the stock speaker wire in the back. The wire would go to a "speaker level input" connection on the amplifier. Personally, I'm not a fan of using speaker level input. There's something to be said for a dedicated subwoofer output coming off the deck. It allows subwoofer volume control, frequency control, etc.. from the deck itself. If you're gonna do subs, make sure you do it right so you don't have regrets later. Don't cheap out on your system and it will be all that you bargained for. That includes your wiring kit. While you might be able to get a car audio wiring kit for say.. $50 which has "everything" in it, you are quite likely going to be left with 8 guage wire and poor fitments. You want to get at least 4 guage wire for power and ground, and get nice insulated RCA wires for your subwoofer line. If you're doing the install yourself, make sure to run your power line down one side of your car, and your audio line down the other in order to avoid signal interference. Planning is just as important as doing I like to say
Yeah I see what you are saying. Just save up a little longer even though I have money for something "good enough" to get something sweet and do it right. That sudden stopping idea hasn't been working for me so i guess its off to work for me.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

So, this is off-topic... but today is another day that I'm super happy that I have the lancer in storage. Here's what our city woke up to today:

And here's the tracker in the far corner sittin pretty. I was lucky enough to be at Frank's watching movies all night and was able to get her out of his buildings parking lot... managed to drive home, and that spot where she is was surprisingly not filled in with 3 feet of snow!! Usually, I'd be parked between the cars that you see buried in the first pics.

Crazy what 35cm of snow and 120km/h winds can do!

Last edited by Newfoundlancer; Feb 20, 2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ that is sweet! i want to live there!!!!!!!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:32 PM

Nice build. Any plans for snow rally?? THat would be awesome.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Are you crazy!!!!! LOL

Originally Posted by crypto
^^^ that is sweet! i want to live there!!!!!!!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 01:59 AM

Wish I had that amount of money to spend in my car lol :P
Old Mar 9, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Any new pics of the lancer? I can't wait to see it out in the sun when the winter is over! That thing is one of the cleanest lancers I have seen!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Nothing too new lately... I haven't had a chance to get the car out in the sun yet or anything since the garage bay door is snowed in, and with the summer tires on, and a bit of an incline leading up to the garage door, it would be a super PITA to get the car outside for a photo shoot and then get her back in again. Not to mention that when I did have her outside when we were moving her into the smaller storage bay from the larger one, the car nearly slipped into the frame of the bay door since I needed a bit of speed in order to get her in. Sooo... I won't be risking that again. Therefore the outside photo shoot will have to wait until the weather is nice and the snow is gone.

I do have one mod left to do when I get up there again, I have the Lightrikz basic LED kit for my HVAC controls and clock to turn them red and match the guages. As well, the progress sway bar is still awaiting install, which will have to happen when I get her out to a mechanic to drill and tap the bolts of the stock perches which snapped off when removing the old ones. I did manage to get a few cell phone pics taken during our last visit up there.. so I'll post those for now. I'll keep you guys updated

Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

car was lookin good, then bam, ugly euro lights, other then that IMO the car looks good
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Hehe... the stocks were too red for my taste thou. My buddy Frank has warned me that I might eventually want to go back to stock once the alure wears off, so I'm keeping them on hand. In the mean time I love them, and think it looks better than stock. Especially on a black car. Time will tell whether or not I eventually agree with you

Quick Reply: Newfoundlancer's Build-up Thread