Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Newfoundlancer's Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohh yeah, real nice job Glenn...

Why dont you tell them about my crippled finger hunh? Tell them why I can no longer play the violin because I messed my damn finger up on your car.

I tell you, Im gonna run my jeep straight through the garage door and hopefully destroy most of your car in the process. It will be hard to take the stickers off a pile of burning rubble wont it glenn?

Now shut up and turbo the car allready!
Thats it! If you want me Ill be up in the garage fabbing up a manifold for ya.

Hmm.. Other cars in the garage perhaps?

Ohhh lookie here.. Yessss.... change your brakelines... Yessssss.... I like that..

Last edited by Franko; Jan 17, 2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good work. I have a few suggestions. 1) lose all the OZ stickers. 2) debadge the trunk. 3) Check the local laws on using red bulbs anywhere on your car other than the tail lights.

You car is look better. Good work.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Wellll... if I must, guess I can give you MAD props on your helping me with the car Frank If it weren't for you doing some of the "brute force" beginnings on a lot of the component mods when I was afraid of something snapping then I'm sure things would have went a bit slower And, well... we both know that clutch line wasn't going in without those nimble hands of yours. I witnessed you get that bolt out, and back in again on the clutch cylinder, but I still don't believe it!

Just be prepared... we ARE getting those engine mounts out tonight! Call me

Oh yessss... spray paint that intake manifold... lovin it!! Lovin it!!!!

Last edited by Newfoundlancer; Jan 17, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:43 AM

Crap!

Basically you have to reach both arms up inside the rectum of your lancer to get those mounts out. Ohh my lord... Im not looking foward to it I must say.

Anyway, thanks for the props.. I only had to track you down on google to find out what forum you posted on then wait two days to get my account approved before I could come on here and publicly slander you.

Just type in "Newfoundlancer" in google and this thread is the FIRST thing that comes up.. Haha
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
How did you remove the wiper arm? My driver's side one is all messed up and it'd be nice to repaint it.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

I'm loving this thread. Makes me wish I had my own little garage to work on my car.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

For the wiper arms, there are little black covers at the bottom of each. Pry them out with your fingernail and you'll see the nut which holds them on. Remove the nuts and with a little bit of wiggling they'll come off. Remove the blades, then prep, refinish, reinstall... done.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:57 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Wallesasuaz
I'm loving this thread. Makes me wish I had my own little garage to work on my car.
+100000000
hopefully i will soon, me and the future mrs are looking at houses, and one of em has a pretty nice garage
Old Jan 17, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

red on the side blinkers is illegal in all or most states. But cops might not bother you to much for it, I dunno. Looks good overall.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Franko

Hmm.. Other cars in the garage perhaps?

Ohhh lookie here.. Yessss.... change your brakelines... Yessssss.... I like that..
. . . ok id LOVE to have a garage like that with a few kick *** project cars.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, so... another night at the garage... another update:

Tonight was engine mount night.. I don't really know where to begin, but lets say that it started with the front mount, and ended with the front mount. I'm gonna skip ahead to my mid-night epiphany and say that whoever the heck manages to change out their rear engine mount without dropping out the engine... I bow down to you!

The front mount was pretty straight-forward. I constructed a socket consisting of every extension we could possibly find in the garage... it ended up looking like this: (Excuse the pic of me... didn't realize I was dressed so bad, but hey... it's the garage right!?.... right!!!???)

The "super socket" then went in here:

To reach this:

So, after removing 2 bolts holding the mount to the cross-member, it was time to release the mount from its connection point. I got under the car with a 14mm wrench and 14mm socket to do that.

And so, I was left with this:

At this point, I was like "Ok, that was easy enough... let's just see how hard this rear mount is!!". Apparently those musta been my famous last words because I then started at the most TEDIOUS... most IMPOSSIBLE... most.. ugh... it was that bad. After I'd say like 15 minutes, I had only managed to loosen 1 bolt about 1/2 way. It was partly seized on at first, Frank managed to loosen it... but the bolt stayed really tight. The small 14mm wrench wasn't providing enough leverage to work on its own, so we were using a second wrench to lock on and apply more force. Anyways, to make a long story short... I was having to take a few breaks while working on that 1 bolt so I could look over the mount from above and below to see if there was even a point in removing this 1 bolt that I had started. From what I could see... there was no way I was going to be able to get that mount out. There were bolts in the craziest of places with no way to reach them. I can only assume that if I really want that mount out, I'm gonna have to lower the engine down and jack the car even further up which is a bigger job than I had planned for. Needless to say, at this point a few posts stating that the front mount is all you need done started to come to mind. So, I tightened up the bolt I had loosened and decided to leave it for now.... maybe forever! hehe...

Now... onto that front mount. There's a DIY on here where the guy removes every bit of rubber from the mount, re-centers the pin and does a full fill of the mount. It looked like the ultimate way to do the mounts, so that's what I planned to do. I started by cutting the middle pin and its surrounding rubber from the main portion of the mount:

Then, to remove the rubber, I did something a little unorthodox, yet effective....

Fun stuff huh!?
That process left me with this:

Which I grinded and sanded to this:

Finally, I used tape to re-center the pin and mask off one side to create a basin for the urethane to fill and create my new mount:

And that was it for tonight... tomorrow I go buy some urethane. I'll likely buy the stiffest I can get since I didn't get to do the rear mount. From what I hear, the front mount done alone eliminates the wheel hop on hard launches on rainy days, etc... so that's my main goal. I'll likely update again tomorrow after I get the urethane and do that whole procedure

Nite folks!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

GREAT PICS.. you can use most of the pics you have taken and make tutorials or add them in existing tutorials.. thats what i did..

BTW.. keep us posted!!.. i think you build-up thread is better than mine.. lol
Old Jan 18, 2007, 06:45 AM
Former Vendor

looking sweet!!! you get extra cool points for setting things on fire
Old Jan 18, 2007, 08:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The rear mount is a pain. I took my car to a mechanic to have it done. I don't know how he did it, but it didn't take him very long.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Wow... finding the liquid urethane in Canada is a PAIN!!! Probably gonna have to eBay it or something... Waiting for a fiberglass place to call me back now. The search continues....

EDIT: Ok, I ended up calling Devcon themselves and they gave me a local distributor for the Flexane. As mentioned before, I was going to get the hardest one (Flexane 94) to make up for not having the rear mount out. Anyways, the distributor they gave me had none in stock, and asked me how much I wanted. I said I wanted the 1lb tin to which they said that they can only order it in cases of 12 at $50 per kit. Needless to say, I wasn't spending $600 for some urethane. Luckily enough, they gave me the name of another industrial supplier who might have it, which they did. It wasn't the 94 however, it was Flexane 80. Apparently the 80 is the way to go if you're doing both mounts, yet still provides enough firmness to do one as well. Soooo.. I picked up the 80 and will be doing the mount shortly. The batteries are dead in the camera so I'm waiting on those in order to get a few shots of it all.

As well, I called Mitsubishi and asked what the cost of a rear mount would be so I could have it urethane'd in the case that I find someone to install it for me. The mount itself is $70... plus another urethane kit would be $50 more... so, with taxes I'd be looking at around $135ish... Therefore, I'll likely order the rear mount from Deyeme when I decide to get it done. The labor rate at Mitsubishi is $71/hr and he estimated about an hour to do the work. Overall, if the front mount isn't enough for me, then I'll fork over the $250 (US exchange rate on the deyeme mount bumps up the price ) and get it done. In the mean time, my $50 job should suffice.

Pics and post of urethane'ing to follow...

Last edited by Newfoundlancer; Jan 18, 2007 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Newfoundlancer's Build-up Thread