Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.
View Poll Results: Do you have any paint issues?
Yes (MAJOR), My paint is chipping or rusting badly
24.07%
Yes (MINOR), My paint has some minor chipping or rusting
55.56%
Not really, normal wear and tear on the car. I like to follow closely behind trucks
12.96%
No issues at all with my paint
7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

~~ Please Share your 2008+ paint issues (rust or or chipping) * PICS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in a small fender bender a few weeks back. Got good size dent and paint flaking off on my trunk. Anyways took it to an autobody shop to get work done and got the painter to take a look at the quality of the paint. He looked where it was flaking off from the accident and right away said that it was way too thin just by looking at it. He measured it with his special paint thickness tool(fancy calipers basically) and said it wasn't the min thickness or # of coats required by standards. I took it to 2 other shops and they both said the same thing. I'm gonna send in a letter signed by all 3 shops saying that it is not up to standard and tell them they have to pay to have my car painted properly.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:55 PM

That's crazy, good luck with that man.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:13 PM

Finally got some time to wash and wax her, here are just some of the paint chips/sand blasting effect on the sides. The front has a million paint chips as well as some other random places Four month old car!

Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
I was in a small fender bender a few weeks back. Got good size dent and paint flaking off on my trunk. Anyways took it to an autobody shop to get work done and got the painter to take a look at the quality of the paint. He looked where it was flaking off from the accident and right away said that it was way too thin just by looking at it. He measured it with his special paint thickness tool(fancy calipers basically) and said it wasn't the min thickness or # of coats required by standards. I took it to 2 other shops and they both said the same thing. I'm gonna send in a letter signed by all 3 shops saying that it is not up to standard and tell them they have to pay to have my car painted properly.

even my body shop guy said the same thing...but at mitsubishi they seem to believe there is no issue. Baffles me.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 02:41 PM

now here's my question. Mine isn't chipped at all really but it does have the paint protection from the dealer. How long does that stuff hold up? Does it need to be redone after a certain period of time? Best to just get a clear coat done?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:17 PM

ok so I hand washed my car on the weekend and this is what i found.

Paint chip from hand washing with NO pressure washer. Just a regular bucket of water and cloth. wtf?
rust spots when my car was in the garage all winter and never driven once in the winter months. wtf?

sorry for the quality. took it with my phone.
Attached Thumbnails ~~ Please Share your 2008+ paint issues (rust or or chipping) * PICS-paint-chip.jpg   ~~ Please Share your 2008+ paint issues (rust or or chipping) * PICS-rust-spots.jpg  
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:45 PM

those orange rust spots are rail dust
or small particles picked up and than rusted...

thsoe are easy to come off..you just pick at them and they will come off....they are common on white cars
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:35 AM

^ ya I know that it is rail dust and my car was covered with those spots when I first got it from the dealership. Took me forever to clay bar them all out.
What I dont understand is how does it get there when I've cleaned the car before putting it in the garage and now over the course of 4 months, spots appear.
Not my first time owning a white car, but first time seeing this many rust spots.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:22 AM

WOw, I didn't know this was so common. My car has it too, speckled sideskirts and swirls. I'll try to get pictures this weekend(no camera right now). I thought it was a little early to be chipping already
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leeminho86
Finally got some time to wash and wax her, here are just some of the paint chips/sand blasting effect on the sides. The front has a million paint chips as well as some other random places Four month old car!

my 08 came with 3m installed right there from the dealer or maybe either way no one at the dealership knew about it other than saying "oh yea we put that there...i think "

my 09 doesnt have 3m there, i bought it at another dealer so maybe it was from the dealer

makes you wonder did mitsubishi warn dealers of possible paint chip there and recommend 3m ?

who knows
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:40 AM

Red face :( sad

wow... is that black? Thank god I didn't get a black lancer.

well enough about that. my car is the rally red color. I got the car when it was nearly just launched here in SoCal.

The car is about 2 yrs old with 29k miles and I've driven to vegas... norcal dirty south... every condition. Snow, Dirt, Salty Rain (san francisco) my paint isn't that bad.

the only complain i do have is the one that was mentioned earlier on this thread. where the car picked up scratched after washing the car. I know how to wash cars but apparently the paint just didnt like the drying portion of things and left smeared like scratched on.

dont get me wrong... hardly noticeable on my red paint. But at the right angle it just irritates looking at me.

I have a 22 year old mazda rx7 (red/cherry) as well. The paint on that car is rock solid. Granted due to age its faded a bit. But not once has it gotten additional scratched from drying my car after a nice wash/wax.

mitsu or whoever painted the car didnt put much effort into the paint job imo.

fellas?

ciao
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lchaidez
wow... is that black? Thank god I didn't get a black lancer.

well enough about that. my car is the rally red color. I got the car when it was nearly just launched here in SoCal.

The car is about 2 yrs old with 29k miles and I've driven to vegas... norcal dirty south... every condition. Snow, Dirt, Salty Rain (san francisco) my paint isn't that bad.

the only complain i do have is the one that was mentioned earlier on this thread. where the car picked up scratched after washing the car. I know how to wash cars but apparently the paint just didnt like the drying portion of things and left smeared like scratched on.

dont get me wrong... hardly noticeable on my red paint. But at the right angle it just irritates looking at me.

I have a 22 year old mazda rx7 (red/cherry) as well. The paint on that car is rock solid. Granted due to age its faded a bit. But not once has it gotten additional scratched from drying my car after a nice wash/wax.

mitsu or whoever painted the car didnt put much effort into the paint job imo.

fellas?

ciao

just imagine how those swirl marks look on black in the sun

but yes i had my evox hood painted with OEM mitsubishi paint and after 1 hand wash and dry it had swirl marks. I used non pressurized water too and a real good chamois to dry it.

oh well still looks good in the shade
Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:49 AM

<3 thats ok Texas will be it's own country very soon and you will set your own laws

in the meantime... lets sit down and enjoy the looks of are cars in the shade under a tree :O

is anyone else having problems with their paint?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:00 PM

Owned my 09 gts for less than 2 months and the rear skirts are all f'up just one more item to ***** about
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:56 PM

class action lawsuit starting

Hey Guys! I belong to a few of the mitsu forums out there. On Mitsubishi-forums.com someone has started the ball rolling for a class action lawsuit against Mitsubishi about the paint chipping issue. All the information you need in the link provided, including contact information. http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/t45...on-lawsuit.htm

I hope we can get this fixed!!!

Quick Reply: ~~ Please Share your 2008+ paint issues (rust or or chipping) * PICS