Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Want/Need a Brake Conversion How-To??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Want/Need a Brake Conversion How-To??

These are my How-Tos from the Mirage board. I thought they might be useful on here, as I cannot find anything similar on this board, other than the discussions which pop up every now and then. I found a post where a member linked to the Mirage forum, but the links were invalid as our DNS arrangement isn't very streamlined.

Anyway, would anyone care if I reformatted the How-Tos to suit the Lancer and had them put up here?

Front 276mm dual piston..
http://67.15.109.176/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3813

Rear 260mm disc conversion..
http://67.15.109.176/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6949

Last edited by Gunshin; Jun 23, 2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

so the 15s clear the dual pistons up front? and would this work with a oz/ls if we can find the right rotors? And im guessing this should be almost the exact same for the es as it already has the 4x100 bolt pattern.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

That is the main difference between this and the bigger brake kit offered by Wilwood. The Wilwoods need at least 16 inch tyres to clear.

I have not driven in a Wilwood equipped car but I rode with grasshopper / Gunshin in his coupe and let me tell you this, that thing LITERALLY stops on a dime. I have not felt that aggressive a stopping power in my entire life, and I have driven a wide variety of cars, from Mitsus to Touring Lancers to EP91s to BZ-Ts to you name it.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:07 PM

Yeah, the Mirage specs would be identical for the ES. The LS/OZ would benefit from simply tossing on the VR-4 rotors without redrilling. And the rear 4x114 rotors should be from a CC Lancer GSR. But, FunkyStyling.co.uk has Evo 1-3 rotors which should be identical to the Lancer GSR. I recommend Funky 'cos they're the only overseas vendor I've found which ships to the US and has a easy shopping cart ordering system.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:09 PM

haha, Quez that was with crappy Raybestos semi-metal pads and Kumho 712s too.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:11 PM
EvoM Guru

i don't think the rear conversion works. the spacing of the holes of the rear caliper brackets are off, or i measured wrong. i am gunning to try the front conversion though.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 04:20 PM

You mean the 4 holes that attach the bracket to the trailing arm? Or the two holes on the bracket that attach caliper?

If you mean the 4 holes, I'm guessing you're measurements were the same or similar along the long side, but narrower along the shorter length? If that makes sense.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 04:29 PM
EvoM Guru

lol. yeah, that's the one. the 4 holes on the trailing arm. i was asking about measurements in the mirageforums thread a while back. i couldn't find a match among mitsu cars. i'm gonna recheck them over the summer with a caliper. i just haven't been home since skool got out.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 07:40 PM

ahhh... Just found our convo about that ages ago in the 4-disc thread.

So, the 40x78mm pattern doesn't work either? Do you remember the measurements you took?
Old Jun 23, 2005, 07:45 PM
EvoM Guru

nope. not off the top of my head. i should be going back home tomorrow so i should be getting back to this thread.

kinda OT: if ever budget permits for me to try or someone else could, i'd suggest trying the rear ralliart rotors redrilled for the proper bolt pattern and get the rest of that assembly so the parking brake cable wouldn't be an issue. i think the rear rotors are identical to the 2G gsx rotors, or some other donor car. i did research quite a while back but can't recall at the moment.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

one other thing that seems to stick out in my head... we have no abs
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:38 PM

The problem with the rear rotors from the GSX, or any rear disc equipped Mitsu except for the 93-02 Lancer/Mirage/Colt/Summit is that the rotor hat is taller. The pre-94 Galant, pre-95 Eclipse, and pre-93 Mirage/Colt are nearly a centimeter taller than the later Mirage/Lancer's.

With that said, I would say there's a good chance that you could take the trailing arm and brake assembly from the Ralliart. My guess is that the Ralliart uses the exact brake assembly as the 3G Eclipse, but the trailing arm is altered to push the mounting plane of the caliper bracket inward to accomodate the taller rotor. This is the most Mitsulogical scenario.

The only explanation for the different bolt pattern on the trailing arm, if your measures were accurate, is that Mitsu was conserving energy by using the same drum backing plate on the Lancer as they would use on the new Colt, budget Galants, Magnas, or other midsizes in other parts of the globe. But, this is Hawkingesque hypothesizing since I have no way of knowing, and very limited info. Plus, it is also quite possible the basic Lancer and new Colt are bastards among saints just as the 4G/5G Mirage.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gunshin

is this the same kit RPW is selling?? Are these all what should come in that kit too???
Old Jun 24, 2005, 09:06 AM

More or less. I had the RPW kit for the Mirage which then led to the hybrid setup in the How-To. It uses a different trailing arm bracket and caliper bracket to facillitate the use of 1G DSM pads instead of the smaller FTO/Lancer pads. 1G pads are easier to come by and have more options than the smaller one. Plus, most the parts can be found in the US, except the rotors. And the whole package all together shouldn't cost more than $800 max. The most savings would come from finding the 4G Mirage calipers and parking brake cable at a junkyard. That would save $200 easy.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gunshin
More or less. I had the RPW kit for the Mirage which then led to the hybrid setup in the How-To. It uses a different trailing arm bracket and caliper bracket to facillitate the use of 1G DSM pads instead of the smaller FTO/Lancer pads. 1G pads are easier to come by and have more options than the smaller one. Plus, most the parts can be found in the US, except the rotors. And the whole package all together shouldn't cost more than $800 max. The most savings would come from finding the 4G Mirage calipers and parking brake cable at a junkyard. That would save $200 easy.

r u familiar w/ the kit RPW sells for the 02-03 Lancer OZ Rally??

Quick Reply: Want/Need a Brake Conversion How-To??